US Intelligence report alleges that Russian GRU offered "bounties" to Afghan insurgents to target US/NATO forces (NYT)

Russia Secretly Offered Afghan Militants Bounties to Kill U.S. Troops, Intelligence Says

American intelligence officials have concluded that a Russian military intelligence unit secretly offered bounties to Taliban-linked militants for killing coalition forces in Afghanistan — including targeting American troops — amid the peace talks to end the long-running war there, according to officials briefed on the matter.

The United States concluded months ago that the Russian unit, which has been linked to assassination attempts and other covert operations in Europe intended to destabilize the West or take revenge on turncoats, had covertly offered rewards for successful attacks last year.

I'm absolutely sure that more than a few of the older senior leadership members of those insurgent groups received payments from the CIA around 30 years to target Russian forces in Afghanistan.

That's what we call "double-dipping" :p

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Jason said:

He moved to invite Russia back into the G7 after learning about this.

So, like, this should be a huge deal right? Like, something that would have killed any other President’s chances of making it to November?

19 minutes ago, Reputator said:

It would have a smidge more weight to it if US Intelligence came out confirmed the report (or parts of it) themselves.

It really doesn't matter, at this point if a person hasn't figured out Trump lies about literally everything and always does the worst possible option, you're not going to care if someone says he absolutely did the thing.

European sources have said they corroborate the reporting. 

I'm frankly pleased and a bit surprised at how big this story is getting. It's an extremely serious thing and I hope that we get more answers. 

Side note: Am I the only one that hasn't watched a single one of these Project Lincoln videos? These dorks are going to disappear after the election. It's dumb gotcha politics that's all flash and no substance. 

1 minute ago, CayceG said:

European sources have said they corroborate the reporting. 

I'm frankly pleased and a bit surprised at how big this story is getting. It's an extremely serious thing and I hope that we get more answers. 

Side note: Am I the only one that hasn't watched a single one of these Project Lincoln videos? These dorks are going to disappear after the election. It's dumb gotcha politics that's all flash and no substance. 

I think people mostly misunderstand what they're doing, its basically a GOP troll project against Trump, they spread on social media cause its free, but they only buy ads in DC, lol.  Their singular focus is to enrage him and go on tirades.

2 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

I think people mostly misunderstand what they're doing, its basically a GOP troll project against Trump, they spread on social media cause its free, but they only buy ads in DC, lol.  Their singular focus is to enrage him and go on tirades.

If this is true, then that's even more worthless. This is the type of deeply diseased The West Wing-style bullshit that's infected political 'minds'. 

I would say liberals are behind it, but never-Trumper Republicans fit that mindset too. 

So worthless. 

We know who's behind it, it's a group of never-trumpers (but honest). One of them is the guy who tried to get the Starbucks guy nominated though. 

Still, I think what they're doing is having the effect they want. I agree that i don't see them sticking around for liberal causes but we also need honest opposition. We need to at least first unite around a majority in this country of people who want the government to actually function and respect basic norms, we can shake our the disagreements later. 

1 minute ago, Anathema- said:

We know who's behind it, it's a group of never-trumpers (but honest). One of them is the guy who tried to get the Starbucks guy nominated though. 

Still, I think what they're doing is having the effect they want. I agree that i don't see them sticking around for liberal causes but we also need honest opposition. We need to at least first unite around a majority in this country of people who want the government to actually function and respect basic norms, we can shake our the disagreements later. 

I understand your point, but this isn't honest opposition. This is a dishonest opposition because they don't intend to stick around!

The idea that we should unite around 'respect for basic norms' is ridiculous when even never-Trumpers disagree with Dems on very fundamental things. There's not an agreement on basic norms. The goal shouldn't be that the government to function either. Again--the fundamentals between never-Trumpers and Dems are miles apart with respect to what a functioning government should do.  

Their whole schtick is to point to contradictory things Trump has done, or underlining the worst actions he has performed. And the Dems have been doing this to Republicans for 30 years--to literally no effect. This is a political fight that has no effect outside of making liberals and centrists feel good inside their fairy tale ideas about modern politics. 

I'm fine with what they're doing. They have a goal if keeping Trump from getting re-elected and that's all they set out to do. But also I read they're trying to help Dems win Congressional races as well? The fact that they're not doing more is not a good argument against them existing and making damaging videos.

8 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I'm fine with what they're doing. They have a goal if keeping Trump from getting re-elected and that's all they set out to do. But also I read they're trying to help Dems win Congressional races as well? The fact that they're not doing more is not a good argument against them existing and making damaging videos.

I'm not saying it's bad they aren't doing more. I'm saying their methodology of pointing out distasteful and contradictory things Trump has done is not an effective strategy to meet their stated goal to prevent Trump's reelection. That they think it will work tells me that they do not understand why Trump happened or what the actual issues in this country really are. 

That's just boilerplate CYA for the intel agencies. I don't lay blame on them, but putting it in the PDB is the most standard procedure they could take. 

Like, at work, when I want to point out some critical shit to the decision-makers, I send them an email about that exact thing and I get it documented. I won't be the one holding the bag when shit doesn't get fixed. 

This is obviously the responsibility of the Russians because they're the ones putting hits out on soldiers, but the responsibility to respond is 100% on Trump.