US Intelligence report alleges that Russian GRU offered "bounties" to Afghan insurgents to target US/NATO forces (NYT)

So of the 22 deaths in 2019, and 9 so far in 2020, how many can we likely attribute to these Russian bounties?  

I suppose it doesn't matter in some ways - but putting names to these fatalities would likely hurt Trump among the military and hawkish Republicans.

13 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

putting names to these fatalities would likely hurt Trump among the military and hawkish Republicans.

Not gonna happen. Conservatives have mastered the art of denial and mental gymnastics. Trump could blow Putin on live TV and they would still find a way to defend him.

The GOP won't abandon Trump until he loses or it's 100% obvious he's going to lose. Then their retreat will be so fast and hilarious... but we can never forget where they stood during all of this.

By supporting Trump these last few years they've all proven beyond a reasonable doubt that they stand for nothing and have zero morals. They can't just toss Trump in the trash and forget it never happened. They stood with Trump and they all need to have that stigma with them forever.

It should be like when an actor wins an Oscar and they are forever branded "Oscar Winner".

Just like we would introduce an actor like... "And now, Oscar Winner Christoph Waltz..."

We should also say... (even if it's 10 years from now and Trump is dead, and he's speaking at something that has NOTHING to do with Trump, and has since abandoned and denounced Trump): "Introducing Trump Supporter Lindsey Graham..."

1 minute ago, ort said:

The GOP won't abandon Trump until he loses or it's 100% obvious he's going to lose. Then their retreat will be so fast and hilarious... but we can never forget where they stood during all of this.

By supporting Trump these last few years they've all proven beyond a reasonable doubt that they stand for nothing and have zero morals. They can't just toss Trump in the trash and forget it never happened. They stood with Trump and they all need to have that stigma with them forever.

It should be like when an actor wins an Oscar and they are forever branded "Oscar Winner".

Just like we would introduce an actor like... "And now, Oscar Winner Christoph Waltz..."

We should also say... (even if it's 10 years from now and Trump is dead, and he's speaking at something that has NOTHING to do with Trump): "Introducing Trump Supporter Lindsey Graham..."

We'll tattoo a picture of Trump's penis on their foreheads.

It will mostly just look like a capital B.

Not even the first time they'd reported it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/democrats-assail-administration-officials-for-not-forcing-trump-to-address-russian-operation-targeting-us-troops/2020/06/30/4744f408-badf-11ea-80b9-40ece9a701dc_story.html

White House officials were first informed in early 2019 of intelligence reports that Russia was offering bounties to Taliban-linked militants to kill U.S. and coalition military personnel in Afghanistan, but the information was deemed sketchy and in need of additional confirmation, according to people familiar with the matter.

Several discussions were held with members of the National Security Council staff on the reports, which had been flagged as potentially significant and came at a time of growing tensions between Russia and the United States. Instructions were given to the intelligence community and the U.S. Central Command, one person familiar with the briefings said, to “find out more” about the bounty reports before proposing any action be taken.

Intelligence provided by captured Afghan militants suggested the bounty operation was in existence as far back as 2018, according to three people familiar with the matter, who like others spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the subject’s sensitivity.

21 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Trump says of Russian bounties on American soldiers “it’s a hoax by the newspapers and the Democrats.”

This after he admitted intel has now officially prepped him on the info. 

“democrat hoax, like Covid! Vlad is my Friend, he wouldn’t do that!”

I wonder if the pawns on putins personal chess board are carved into fat little Trumps with tiny little hands. 

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.), a staunch Trump ally, argued the amendment would unfairly tie the administration's hands.

"A great nation does not force the next generation to fight their wars, and that's what we've done in Afghanistan," Gaetz said. "I think the best day to have not had the war in Afghanistan was when we started it, and the next best day is tomorrow.

"I don't think there's ever a bad day to end the war in Afghanistan," he added. "Our generation is weary of this and tired of this."

this is the worst GIF by Bad Internet

8 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

this is the worst GIF by Bad Internet

Ahhh... when I joined the Marines in 2002 (I didn’t have a lot of other prospects and had a kid on the way) My mom was upset, asked me why I would go fight for the “white man” in another country. I told her that theee were two reasons. I wanted my son to grow up away from the poverty, hopelessness and depression that pervades reservations, and that I was going to war so hopefully he wouldn’t need to. 

He’s 18 next year, and we’re still fighting.  The same goddamn war. And he’s been talking about joining for a while now. 🤦‍♂️

• Sad 3

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...