Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League (PS5/Xbox Series/PC) - update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

21 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I actually like third person shooters, but I honestly have no interest in the Suicide Squad. I couldn't even get through the movies.

That said, I'd still give it a try if it looked intriguing. But man, there's something about this game that just looks... unappealing. And I think I know what it is. Not to pimp my own channel... but...

Agents of Mayhem is exactly what this game is being compared to.

3 hours ago, stepee said:

I didn’t realize its battle passed. The gameplay looked fun to me but this one is going to hinge on how much I can play it like a single player action game removed from whatever coop/gaas/loot box nonsense might be in here for me.

The single player has the other 3 characters controlled by bots if that helps.

I'm kinda curious as to why it seems like we keep getting games that "should" be single player titles getting shoe-horned into a quasi-GAAS mold. I feel like we've seen it in a number of big titles, but outside of Destiny I can't think of many actual success stories. There are plenty of games that are pure multiplayer that make tons of money from battlepasses and whatever, so that makes sense. Meanwhile, the single player adventure games that people wish these games would emulate, show up in the best selling games list every year.

I know the Avengers game lost money, but are there other games like this that turned a big profit and are compelling studios to force co-op and battlepasses into these games? Do the Lego games make a ton of money selling extras? Or is it just that they see the figures coming in from multiplayer games and can't help themselves but to chase after that revenue?

6 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I'm kinda curious as to why it seems like we keep getting games that "should" be single player titles getting shoe-horned into a quasi-GAAS mold. I feel like we've seen it in a number of big titles, but outside of Destiny I can't think of many actual success stories. There are plenty of games that are pure multiplayer that make tons of money from battlepasses and whatever, so that makes sense. Meanwhile, the single player adventure games that people wish these games would emulate, show up in the best selling games list every year.

I know the Avengers game lost money, but are there other games like this that turned a big profit and are compelling studios to force co-op and battlepasses into these games? Do the Lego games make a ton of money selling extras? Or is it just that they see the figures coming in from multiplayer games and can't help themselves but to chase after that revenue?

Because Rocksteady took so goddamn long to make this game, the GAAS model went from "It could be successful" to "hey we're making a shit ton money here" to "Welp, it was a good run."

It's not very often you get in early on the hot new trend, and yet totally miss the boat on it.

• Halal 1

26 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

At this just make it Genshin Impact levels of FTP and be done with it since that's the model they're aiming for anyway 

Absolutely this GAAS should not be combined with full price titles. I think this will do a bit better than Avengers but I doubt it sticks around much longer.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

This isn't even necessarily a game whose underlying concept defaults immediately to single-player, at least in my mind.  In an informational vacuum, I'd simply assume that this would be a Borderlands-like co-op experience that could be played solo, just like Borderlands can. 

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I thought when you played Borderlands you truly played it as single player.

In Suicide Squad, the developers said the other members of your squad are controlled by bots in the single player campaign.

I believe that you're correct that in Borderlands that there are no bots if you're playing solo though I don't remember if there are certain missions where it's your character and two other AI-controlled characters.

Whatever the case, the title "Suicide Squad" just inherently implies a default co-op experience to me.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I believe that you're correct that in Borderlands that there are no bots if you're playing solo though I don't remember if there are certain missions where it's your character and two other AI-controlled characters.

Whatever the case, the title "Suicide Squad" just inherently implies a default co-op experience to me.

Fair enough. Perhaps it was mostly the developer rather than the license that made me default to imagining a single-player Guardians of the Galaxy style game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League (Rocksteady, PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 2023?) - Information Thread, update: release delayed until "later this year"

A delay related to fan reaction? Lolololol  

I can’t imagine the cost spent on this game already. The delay ain’t gonna fix it. Release it, take the L, and move on. Heck you would be better off releasing it as is, get hands on feedback, and spend the money post launch to fix it if possible. 

• True 1

7 hours ago, Brian said:

A delay related to fan reaction? Lolololol  

I can’t imagine the cost spent on this game already. The delay ain’t gonna fix it. Release it, take the L, and move on. Heck you would be better off releasing it as is, get hands on feedback, and spend the money post launch to fix it if possible. 

Except with modern publishers they don't allow you to take any losses. One failure and they close the studio down. 

7 hours ago, Brick said:

Except with modern publishers they don't allow you to take any losses. One failure and they close the studio down. 

I mean, that really isn’t true. Luminous for example, was certainly not just one failure, it was a series of them. But yeah, if you’re responsible for 200m in losses, you will probably end up shut down. Lumimous has been posting multi-million dollar losses for SE since at least 2018. 

Embracer the CCP connected Tencent, they were always going to shutter devs that didn’t perform. They are investment groups, not gaming companies. They can close studios that don’t perform and move valuable IP to those who do, and they don’t care about the human cost or the games themselves. But most other publishers absolutely are not closing devs that post losses once. 

• 1 month later...