Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League (PS5/Xbox Series/PC) - update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League (Rocksteady, PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 02 February 2024?) - Information Thread, update: officially delayed until 02 February 2024
  • 7 months later...

PC requirements from the Steam Store page:

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel i5-8400 or AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.20 GHz
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 1070 or AMD Radeon RX Vega 56
DirectX: Version 12
Storage: 65 GB available space
Additional Notes: RAM: 16 GB (2x8)

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel i7-10700K or AMD Ryzen 7 5800 X3D
Graphics: NVIDIA RTX 2080 or AMD RX 6800-XT (16GiB)
DirectX: Version 12
Storage: 65 GB available space
Additional Notes: RAM: 16 GB (2x8)

• Like 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 02 February 2024) - Information Thread, update: "Insider 01 - Story & Gameplay" video (20 minutes) and PC system requirements

Just cant buy into this.. a game focused on traversal and gunplay so they pick villains who have no  “natural” traversal abilities or unique powers.. oh well at least Harley is there, but nope its still Tara doing her crap Harley voice.. not willing to endure that for a whole game..

how is it that Gotham Knights appears more appealing?

the tech running the game must be amazing but the gameplay loop just doesnt do it.. heres hoping something “special” is being held still

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 02 February 2024) - Information Thread, update: Closed Alpha Tech Test sign-ups now available
17 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

It looks like Agents of Mayhem, which was fun, so hell yeah!

I’m glad that you liked it, but I found it to be a rather mindless repetitive third person enemy wave shooter.

10 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Was it? I have it for in my Sony library but bever played it.

It’s not very good IMO, but it can offer some dumb fun if you like third person shooters.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 02 February 2024) - Information Thread, update: Official Harley Quinn trailer
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 02 February 2024) - Information Thread, update: Official King Shark trailer
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 02 February 2024) - Information Thread, update: Official Captain Boomerang Trailer
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 02 February 2024) - Information Thread, update: recent developer trailers posted
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 02 February 2024) - Information Thread, update: "PS5 Immersion Trailer"

This will be an interesting one to watch launch. I’m still bummed it’s a GASS coop thing as that isn’t my jam, but whenever I see the actual gameplay it does look very fun to play and I’ve heard the story that was leaked is actually interesting. i believe it’s also confirmed you can just turn off coop and play the whole thing single player now?

And then there is the fact that Rocksteady hasn’t made a bad game, though how much of that Rocksteady is even still in the studio all these years later who knows. SOMETHING must have went down in that studio for them to miss an entire generation worth of time.

And then there is the social media gamer crowd circling around like sharks after blood has dripped in the water for this game, chomping at the bit to talk about what trash this game is, even more so than your usual big release.

But you also have real concerns over GASS in general, and the industry overall is showing signs that it’s not a sustainable goal for most studios to chase.

Hoping it turns out well, down to watch the show either way! 

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

It's been a rocky start for Rocksteady's Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League. After an initial leak, the game was of…

Indeed, traversal is a major distinction between each character and a key factor in a player's choice. During our hands-on preview we tested all four characters in an introductory segment before settling on one. I chose Boomerang, who flings his namesake with a hold of the right bumper and then teleports to its location on release. Throw in double jumps and dashes and it's possible to scale skyscrapers with ease, before unleashing a melee attack with the boomerang and blasting with the shotgun. His moveset felt the most intuitive to me.

Other players may disagree. Deadshot uses a jetpack to hover over battles and snipe from a distance, which was simple enough to get to grips with, if a little basic. King Shark leaps Hulk-like over great distances and uses heavy weapons. Harley Quinn, for me, was the most fiddly. She can grapple up to Batman's Batwing and swing, but must press another button to actually jump off at the apex. She can also use the grapple to pull up to the edge of buildings and leap off; it's possible, therefore, to combine all these moves to continuously swing and gain momentum, but I found this especially awkward to pull off.

WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Big in 2024 |"By the end of the game, you've developed into this close-knit family," says Rocksteady

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League came as a massive surprise to me. Rocksteady's proven skill, passion, and dedication to authenticity means I was already looking forward to heading back into the Arkhamverse, but I didn't expect the format of an online action shooter to feel as fitting as it does. With its kinetic traversal systems and joyful, colorful chaos, it's a total juxtaposition to the games that came before. Don't let that put you off, though – this is one anti-hero shooter that dares you to have an absurdly good time, and more than follows through on the promise.

WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

We spend a full day trying to kill DC Comics' most iconic heroes.

Emerging from my hands-on session, I feel much more confident in Rocksteady's long-awaited follow-up to its critically acclaimed Arkham series, but I still have several questions. But even with those hesitations surrounding post-launch support, game structure, and monetization efforts, I now have February 2 circled on my calendar, as my overwhelming curiosity and anxiety have turned mostly to anticipation.

WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

Rocksteady’s co-op looter shooter is a long departure from its Arkham trilogy in more ways than…

There’s no getting around that for Arkham fans, Suicide Squad is an entirely other beast, as stark a difference as it is being able to see the city in daylight. But being different from before doesn’t mean that it’s necessarily new, especially when it seems to be taking older ideas from both the open world action of Crackdown and a loot-based approach to gear like Marvel’s Avengers.

Yet, as flawed as Crystal Dynamics’ title was, it did at least deliver on the fantasy of playing as your favourite superheroes. After breaking new ground for the superhero genre (just consider how Arkhamesque Spider-Man’s combat is), it’s sad to think that a decade later, Rocksteady is merely following others.

WWW.GAMINGBIBLE.COM

Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League is bombastic, larger than life, and full of character, and expands the Batman: Arkham universe in a beautiful way

Finally, it’s worth noting Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League is a live-service game, meaning more content is set to arrive after the game’s launch. The first year’s worth of content drops will be completely free for anyone who owns the games, and will include things like new characters, missions, collectables and more.

When asked what players can expect from additions to the roster, Armstrong coyly said: “I think the fans should be excited because we've got new characters coming in with new unique gear sets, new talents, new ways of moving through Metropolis and new interplay with the existing squad as well … we're going to do everything we can to support the game and keep players engaged.”

Overall the game feels fantastic to play, and brings a fresh perspective to an existing franchise while retaining plenty of easter eggs and references Arkham fans will instantly spot. The full game promises more action-packed gameplay, charming interactions between characters oozing with personality, as well as the deaths of some of the most beloved superheroes of all time.

WWW.IGN.COM

While there is a story here that makes me wonder where the heck all this is going, I was less optimistic about Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League when I stopped playing than when I started. Here’s hoping it wins me back when it releases on February 2nd.

The best part of Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League after playing it for a few hours is the story, and yes, it certainly seems like you will be killing characters you know and love. Lots of death happening. That’s also a big part of the problem I have with the entire premise. I can’t help but shake that there’s no way Rocksteady is going to let this stick. Our heroes have done terrible things. There will be a time reversal mechanic, or some alternate earth timeline that comes along and washes away all of the terrible awfulness that happened during the story. From enslaving a child form of Poison Ivy, to straight up watching your heroes murder people, there’s a lot here to make you feel a bit uncomfortable about the journey you’re being taken on. And when you pair this disconnect with game mechanics straight out of the likes of Destiny, Anthem, or Marvel’s Avengers, I’m left worried about the final product coming together in a way that works. The fun just wasn’t there for me. At least not yet.

Let me explain in more detail. The story has its fun moments, yes, and the team banter – at least during cutscenes – is when Kill the Justice League is at its best. The cutscenes have clearly been given a lot of love. Meanwhile, the character models look great, the voice acting is on point, and there are a lot of moments where I genuinely laughed thinking that this could be enough to carry me through the messy and tired open-world missions. While they could reverse time to fix the morality issues at play, chances are that will be difficult given the planned expansions, story additions, and gear chases coming later on in the form of free updates. That means we’ll be stuck with the terrible things that transpire and if the name sticks, stuck with a dead Justice League. But hey, they punch Boomerang for putting a bomb in her head so let’s move on from that whole, enslaving a child thing. I know it’s Poison Ivy, and this is kind of Waller’s thing, but I’m using it to illustrate a point. All of these things in one package feels like an odd mix. Rocksteady had a winning formula with the Batman games and is trying to write a completely new book. But so far, lightning is not in this bottle.

WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

After playing about five hours of Suicide Squad during a hands-on preview session, we came away feeling that Rocksteady's third-person shooter live-game has cool ideas that sometimes work against each other.

My biggest takeaway from Suicide Squad is that I want to play it in the way it's meant to be played. When the combat and traversal systems come together, especially when you can start to customize a particular build like one that has you constantly throwing souped-up grenades and leaving them in your wake as you slide away from danger, they're fluid and exciting. But there's a lot to get the hang of here, and falling out of the flow or losing track of its many ins and outs killed the momentum fairly often.

That also goes for the story. A slice of live-service missions intercut with funny narrative beats suggested a game that was attempting a little bit of both but achieving neither very well. I'm excited to continue with the main story, which has lots of funny moments and great interactions between the protagonists in particular. The idea of trying to take down the Justice League, knowing the kind of power they wield as you head into battle against them, is a great premise. But open-world missions where characters bark at you over the radio about how enemies are attacking point A or point B over and over don't seem to be breaking the mold, especially when plenty of live open-world games now exist with a lot of the same kinds of content. Rocksteady may hope to define another genre with Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League, but we'll need to see more of it to determine whether it can actually deliver on that ambition.

WWW.GAMEREACTOR.EU

Does Rocksteady's new cooperative looter shooter eliminate the competition, or ruin the Arkham studio's reputation? We travelled to London to try out the upcoming open world superhero game.

In the end, my four hours with Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League left me with almost as many questions as there are Riddler trophies scattered across the massive map. Is the variety good enough in the long run? Does Rocksteady strike the right balance between offline and online play? Does the game's central gameplay loop manage to evolve along the way? I'm fairly optimistic that most answers will be positive, but the biggest question - what the story actually ends with - I dare not predict. Surely, the Suicide Squad can't kill the Justice League, right? But if they do, and especially if they manage to bury Batman himself, it will be quite fitting, because it seems clear that Rocksteady is trying to escape the iconic hero's intimidating shadow with this game. We'll see if they succeed on February 2, when Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League releases for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series S/X and PC.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 02 February 2024) - Information Thread, update: hands-on previews posted

The Dev's trying to get people to believe that it isn't a live service game feels pretty tone def to me. Pretty much every hands on I saw says it feels like a live service game.

As for the co-op game play, I think the coop shooter/super hero stuff has been played out from the sense that beyond just hanging out and fighting bad guys together is kind of played out. I say that vs games where the mechanics are built around a high degree of cooperation (It Takes Two/A Way Out) or tactics (Ready or Not/GTF) in order to be successful.

Beyond the DC universe is there much that would make 100s of the same fight over and over again much different than borderlands?