Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League (PS5/Xbox Series/PC) - update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

My worry is that this game won't do so well, and because this industry is so unsustainable with its current model, and studios can't afford even just one flop, that WB will shut the doors on Rocksteady. 

They definitely seem backed into a corner like many studios are when forced to go this route. If it succeeds, they will be on Suicide Squad duty and then asked to do a live service follow up, maybe Justice League. If it fails, there is a good chance they get shut down or folded into another studio or otherwise become a shell of their former self. I don’t think there is an option here where they get a chance to make a AAA single player game again. 

I guess the best case scenario is it’s so successful it gives them enough leverage to form a new team that allows them to maintain their live service along with producing a single player game, but that seems the most unlikely.

2 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Those previews are all over the place. A game this polarizing is not good. Maybe it’s not as bad as everyone hating it, but it’s gonna lead to some very confused consumers. But I wonder if anyone that doesn’t hate it now, just doesn’t hate it yet. 

I'd say less polarizing and more some venues are less about crapping all over it until they see the final product. Once the final product hits and people see it all, they'll have a firmer opinion. I'd bet there will be several generous scores just related to the fandom of the source material but I anticipate this game to bomb hard in the reviews and sales.

• Halal 2

2 hours ago, Dexterryu said:

I'd say less polarizing and more some venues are less about crapping all over it until they see the final product. Once the final product hits and people see it all, they'll have a firmer opinion. I'd bet there will be several generous scores just related to the fandom of the source material but I anticipate this game to bomb hard in the reviews and sales.

I think it could go either way, sone of these impressions read like they are trying to be negative for clicks or just being negative because of what the game is not rather than what it is. Either way these impressions don’t seem to give any better idea on how the game will be.

6 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Those previews are all over the place. A game this polarizing is not good. Maybe it’s not as bad as everyone hating it, but it’s gonna lead to some very confused consumers. But I wonder if anyone that doesn’t hate it now, just doesn’t hate it yet. 

3 hours ago, stepee said:

I think it could go either way, sone of these impressions read like they are trying to be negative for clicks or just being negative because of what the game is not rather than what it is. Either way these impressions don’t seem to give any better idea on how the game will be.

Previews are very confusing these days. Anyone remember the Redfall previews? Other than Jeff Bakalar most of the previews coming from the game were positive. Launch day rolls around and everyone is shitting on the game. Doesn't make sense.

Maybe this game comes out and the reviews are glowing!

To be fair, I was never getting this game anyway. Unless I completely missed something in the game's narrative, killing my childhood super heroes is not something that interests me at all. I'm always a do goodie in games so being evil or whatever isn't my thing.

3 hours ago, nublood said:

To be fair, I was never getting this game anyway. Unless I completely missed something in the game's narrative, killing my childhood super heroes is not something that interests me at all. I'm always a do goodie in games so being evil or whatever isn't my thing.

Well the JLA are the bad guys in this game. They've been taken over by Braniac. I think Wonder Woman is the only one that is free. I liked what I played but the whole Live service thing is the main thing giving me hestitation.

• Halal 1

On 1/9/2024 at 5:56 PM, Dexterryu said:

I'd love for the game to be good. I hope it is, but early impressions sounds eerily similar to Redfall to me.

32 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I said it earlier in this thread: I'm buying this solely for Kevin Conroy's final performance as Batman... but I think I'll wait a couple months for that inevitable 50%+ off discount :p 

Wow Kevin Conroy isn't worth 100% to you :nottalking:

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 02 February 2024) - Information Thread, update: Closed Alpha Test NDA lifted

I played the alpha and enjoyed what I played from a gameplay standpoint. All four characters play uniquely but I really liked Deadshot and King Shark. The game is definitely shooting for a guardians of the galaxy vibe. As a co-op shooter it should be fun to play through once with friends, but I don't see how this can survive as a live service looter shooter. There IS loot but it's not that unique. Why they went this route with this game is beyond me... they should have just made it a co-op adventure game and left the live service shit out because that's gonna kill it. Especially with these mixed impressions. Story is definitely intriguing.

I played the alpha and now that I'm no longer under NDA I can say...I really didn't play it enough to form a solid opinion :p I really only played the tutorial, and then got to the open city, but it was super late and I had to go to bed to get up for work in the morning, and then I never got to play it again, unfortunately. 

I did chuckle at how one of the characters mentioned, "Isn't Deadshot white?". Not sure if that's just Rocksteady being tongue and cheek with the race swap, or that actually will be explained at some point. 

There will also be more characters added post launch, and I'm sure Deathstroke will be one of them. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 02 February 2024) - Information Thread, update: "Do the Impossible" gameplay launch trailer

With all the quick movement over huge city landscapes, covering a lot of distance..and this being on UE4, I really hope they spent a good deal of those last 8 years they’ve worked on this optimizing past UE4’s famous traversal and compilation stutter! 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, stepee said:

With all the quick movement over huge city landscapes, covering a lot of distance..and this being on UE4, I really hope they spent a good deal of those last 8 years they’ve worked on this optimizing past UE4’s famous traversal and compilation stutter! 

Dean Winchester Reaction GIF

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 02 February 2024) - Information Thread, update: "Introducing Elseworlds" post-launch content trailer

After having watched that video, the fact that this post launch DLC is free says to me WB is worried about this game severely underperforming, and is now making post launch content free to win back the good graces of players, and hopefully entice them into buying and playing. Certainly not complaining about that if the game turns out solid enough. I can see this game averaging in the 6s and 7s.