What tv do you use for gaming?

Remarkableriots

• 1 month later...

I have a 50" Vizio and a dual-monitor 20" Asus monitor set up. All 1080p.

I don't want to upgrade to 4k yet because then I have to buy a new GPU, which I don't want to spend money on. My GPU is like 5 years old and I can still play pretty much everything on at least high settings, even if I can't get more than 60fps.

I'm thinking about maybe getting TCL 65" Class 6-Series 4K UHD QLED Dolby Vision HDR Roku Smart TV possibly next month or in January. 

17 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

The same I have now :p 

If you’re considering upgrading to take full advantage of all the new features, just make sure your next TV has full-HDMI 2.1 :santasun:

I don't think i'll be able to afford full-HDMI 2.1

5 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

I'm thinking about maybe getting TCL 65" Class 6-Series 4K UHD QLED Dolby Vision HDR Roku Smart TV possibly next month or in January. 

I don't think i'll be able to afford full-HDMI 2.1

https://www.amazon.com/LG-49NANO85UNA-Alexa-Built-Nanocell/dp/B0829RPN2G/ref=sr_1_3?crid=264L0HECSW3T7&dchild=1&keywords=lg%2Bhdmi%2B2.1&qid=1605104783&sprefix=lg%2Bhdmi%2B%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-3&th=1

Also, all 2020 Vizio TVs are HDMI 2.1

• Like 1

@Remarkableriots just make sure you compare to the 6-series TCL reviews, I'm not sure how the LG I linked to actually stacks against it, I was focused more on HDMI 2.1 + pricing in my search for you. Personally, the Vizio P-series would be the way to go on a budget for HDMI 2.1, though, it will likely run you about $200-300 more than the TCL for a 65", it'd certainly be worth the extra cash if you can swing it by holding off for an extra couple weeks... But, there could also be sales happening for the Christmas season very soon, putting it in that ~$800 range instead of ~$1000-1100

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

LG OLED55B7A

I want to get a new Tv, but I’m waiting. I don’t like that LG throttled the CX, so I’m waiting for it to drop in price, get in-throttled, or I don’t know what. 

I doubt the number of 4K 120fps games will high, especially early on, so I’m not as worried about needing it “now”. 

VRR is the real game changer, not 120fps anyway :sun: 

14 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Is VRR something you kinda need to experience in person? Like you can’t get a grasp of it from a YouTube video?

i have thought about trying to find a C9 at a good price. 

You absolutely cannot grasp it from a YouTube video. It would be like trying to understand the benefit of HDR on an SDR TV via an offscreen recording of a TV displaying HDR.

When AC Odysee bounces from 45-55 fps on my GSYNC monitor, it’s unnoticeable and stays smooth the entire time. If I didn’t have an fps counter in the corner, I would have no idea the framerate even changed. Going from VRR to non-VRR is kinda jarring now.

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

You absolutely cannot grasp it from a YouTube video. It would be like trying to understand the benefit of HDR on an SDR TV via an offscreen recording of a TV displaying HDR.

When AC Odysee bounces from 45-55 fps on my GSYNC monitor, it’s unnoticeable and stays smooth the entire time. If I didn’t have an fps counter in the corner, I would have no idea the framerate even changed. Going from VRR to non-VRR is kinda jarring now.

with a Series X keeping games kind of locked in at 60, I may not need it as soon. Seems like something I’d have seen more benefit from on my One X where games try to get 60, but drop here and there. But I’m sure it will definitely be good to have with in a year or two as games start pushing these consoles harder and harder. 

4 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

with a Series X keeping games kind of locked in at 60, I may not need it as soon. Seems like something I’d have seen more benefit from on my One X where games try to get 60, but drop here and there. But I’m sure it will definitely be good to have with in a year or two as games start pushing these consoles harder and harder. 

It supposedly makes a huge difference in AC Valhalla as the game reportedly is only “mostly” locked to 60fps. However, I’m talking about “long-term” anyway :sun:

Currently on a Samsung Q8fn 65" that's amazing. doesn't have g-sync and if I want 120hz I have to play @1440p so I trade off from 4k 60hz etc. It's a great tv for the price of 1299.99. I want a 77" c9 / c10 but dought it for awhile. I think my next Big expensive TV should go to our Home theater room. We lost an amazing room in the camp fire and it's taken 32 years just to get a decient tv and couch in our new home to build one. I really want a Samsung q90 85" but I'm wishing right now. My q8fn is hooked up to my Gaming Pc with a i7 9700k / 32gig dd4 3200 ram, and a RTX 2080ti. Consoles are of course an Xbox one x and a Ps4 pro...

• 2 weeks later...

@Remarkableriots

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-65-class-p-series-quantum-series-led-4k-uhd-smartcast-tv/6416449.p?skuId=6416449&irclickid=R8vy4KSrOxyOWNO0MKVSfWfHUkEza0UvPzoywM0&irgwc=1&ref=198&loc=IGN &acampID=0&mpid=1442478

On sale, full HDMI 2.1 features for your PS5, better picture quality and better response time (less input lag) over the TCL 6-series that you were looking at from what I've read - the only negative is that the VRR only works up to 60hz; shouldn't really be an issue beyond that hz anyway, as the biggest benefit with VRR is making an unstable 60fps (dropping in and out of the high-40s and 50s and back to 60) appear to stay smooth - it helps with screen tearing as well when vsync isn't enable but the "smoothness" it provides is it's primary benefit, IMO. It's probably going to stay around this price through nest month. :santasun:

• Like 1