What are you playing today?

Played another 5-6 hours of Red Dead Redemption 2.

I am enjoying the characters, they story, and the world.  Rockstar did what they do best, they created a world that I want to spend time in.

However...

1)  The shooting mechanics are abysmal.  It feels like I am playing a 7 year old open world game.

2)  It tries for realism in so many areas.  However, If I bump into someone in the open world I might get a bounty.  Kill 30 guys in a mission -- and nada.

3)  Preventing me from running an galloping sucks -- AND THEY DO IT ALL THE TIME

4)  Having the camp as a place you need to return to is an interesting idea.  BUT YOU NEED FAST TRAVEL if you're going to do this

5)  I'm probably only a third of the way through (mid-way through Chapter 3), but it feels like there is a distinct lack of mission variety.  And while the writing in most of them is fairly good, too many of them are mechanically boring.

I really don't know how I feel about this game.  On one hand, it does world building REALLY, REALLY well.  On the other hand, too much time of my time is wasted getting to the "good stuff" doing boring mundane things.

9 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I am enjoying the characters, they story, and the world.  Rockstar did what they do best, they created a world that I want to spend time in.

However...

1)  The shooting mechanics are abysmal.  It feels like I am playing a 7 year old open world game.

2)  It tries for realism in so many areas.  However, If I bump into someone in the open world I might get a bounty.  Kill 30 guys in a mission -- and nada.

3)  Preventing me from running an galloping sucks -- AND THEY DO IT ALL THE TIME

4)  Having the camp as a place you need to return to is an interesting idea.  BUT YOU NEED FAST TRAVEL if you're going to do this

5)  I'm probably only a third of the way through (mid-way through Chapter 3), but it feels like there is a distinct lack of mission variety.  And while the writing in most of them is fairly good, too many of them are mechanically boring.

I really don't know how I feel about this game.  On one hand, it does world building REALLY, REALLY well.  On the other hand, too much time of my time is wasted getting to the "good stuff" doing boring mundane things.

Cinema mode and having my laptop near by made the game much more enjoyable. 

Beat Rise of the Tomb Raider last night. Boy the last third or so is pretty terrible. I was actually really enjoying it up until then. Don't really have much desire to try and 100% everything so probably onto Shadow of the Tomb Raider because why the fuck not. Thanks Games Pass. 

On 12/16/2019 at 8:49 AM, AbsolutSurgen said:

However...

Your opinion is correct :p 

23 hours ago, Dre801 said:

Shadow becomes crappy(or should I say that it bogs down) in the middle.  My least favorite.  TR2013 is still my fav of the three new TR games.

Intrigued to see where they go with TR next though.

2013 is definitely the best so far, I actually thought Rise was better up until the last third. I started Shadow last night and I already mostly don't like it, so if it gets even worse that's not a good sign. Also, apparently this is more focused on puzzles, but all the marketing for the game made it seem like Lara is just straight Rambo now and would be more focused on action. 

Also, somehow the game feels like a bad rip off after playing Rise, like this is really the first game in the series. Feels like the game went backwards somehow, from what I've played. 

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

2013 is definitely the best so far, I actually thought Rise was better up until the last third. I started Shadow last night and I already mostly don't like it, so if it gets even worse that's not a good sign. Also, apparently this is more focused on puzzles, but all the marketing for the game made it seem like Lara is just straight Rambo now and would be more focused on action. 

Also, somehow the game feels like a bad rip off after playing Rise, like this is really the first game in the series. Feels like the game went backwards somehow, from what I've played. 

It wasn't done by the same team that did the first two, so perhaps that's why it feels different.  There didn't seem to be as much killing in this one and there are some forced stealth segments.  Two or three times, they strip you of your arsenal leaving you with a knife, but after a knife kill, the games won't let you pick up enemy weapons which is lame.

2 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

It wasn't done by the same team that did the first two, so perhaps that's why it feels different.  There didn't seem to be as much killing in this one and there are some forced stealth segments.  Two or three times, they strip you of your arsenal leaving you with a knife, but after a knife kill, the games won't let you pick up enemy weapons which is lame.

Oh all right that makes sense, because yeah it just feels off after playing Rise, which again I actually enjoyed up until the final act/third whatever. 

Well...still violently addicted to Death Stranding. Probably at about 80 hours now and not even close to the ending, jesus. 

I've got no plans at all for the weekend and think I'm going for some balls-to-the-wall Action game on the side or maybe giving Sekiro a fresh try from the beginning after making it to the final boss and giving up. I'm still kind of sour on the game and don't really like where From is headed if this is the indicator but I really feel like I need to give it another shot despite playing that much of it already.

Hopefully Civ 6 if there's ever a change screen size patch.

Jedi Fallen Order.  Game is still a jankfest, but an enjoyable one and I'm near the end so might as well finish it.

Monkey Ball HD until I can finally get past that 6th level in the literal hellscape that is world 7.  The difficulty curve in this game is something, holy fuck. :lol:

MGSV.  Never finished this when it was released. Forgot how fun and hogbonkers it's design is, and having half of the latest and best metal gear game yet to play is an amazing feeling right now.

Control. The recent patch seems to have improved the framerate dramatically but we'll see.

3 hours ago, SimpleG said:

Tried playing after the patch, the added auto aim just kills the game.

The spotting is terribly implemented. This is my biggest issue post patch. I felt like it needed some sort of spotting - maybe squad-only, but this is ridiculous. 

the added TTK isn’t really great either. 

On 12/19/2019 at 7:47 AM, gamer.tv said:

I grabbed my DS for my commute on Tuesday and had Super Mario 64 DS in.

I’m 39 stars in and it’s still a great game although the necessity to change characters is a pain 

Now at 61 stars and still having a great time. Some "missions" are a bit of a pain, but the relatively small level design does help. 19 stars to go until I can complete the game.

I am quite liking having a newer game on the go (RE2) and having something older at the same time for when my partner is playing something. I need to see what to look at next with that in mind as I think she's gearing up to play the Witcher 3 again after the series, so I'll pretty much get access to the PS4 early Saturday/Sunday. 

Baba is You

It looks like a Commodore 64 game.  However, it offers a novel challenge, and is unlike any other puzzle game I have played before.  I don't think it is quite as good as some in the press have made it out to be -- some of the solutions I have found are not very elegant.  But, unlike most puzzle games, it is actually quite difficult and requires a lot of out-of-the-box thinking.  So, I'm enjoying it as a palate cleanser.

Went with Sekiro as my side-ho to Death Stranding and the game is infinitely more enjoyable on my second playthrough right now. Makes me feel like the first was just training and I suddenly see the matrix and remain weirdly calm during parry-fests and just lay down the law.

This is making a huge difference and I'm kind of in awe at fantastic level and art design again. Also I'm suddenly playing very...creatively and using ceramic shards, hanging deathblows, corner kills and all kinds of stuff constantly in a way I didnt my first time around. I'm having a shocking amount of fun.

NOTHING!!

Got Modern Warfare for X-mas .. the install took its time...after much work it stopped installing saying I needed 9.5 GB... I deleted more crap... my free space read I had 45GB but still refused to install cause I needed 9.5 GB...

finally the game finally announced I still needed 98 GB for an “update”... so since 1 TB wasnt enough I deleted a ton more games and have restarted the process

its frustrating cause its COD and probably not worth all this F’n hassle..

also Merry X-mas