What are you playing today?

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

Gonna restart Miles Morales tonight. I tried picking up from where I left off but had trouble remembering the controls. The graphics are superb. 

Yea, just start over. Like I said it's not very long but get the controls down and have a blast!

Taking a break from Halls of Torment this week after putting in over 20hrs into it and am playing Tunic on Series X! Pretty great and one I have been looking forward to for some time now. I'm about 8hrs in and really enjoying it ALOT! This game is In the "Souls like" catagory. Its quite cartoon like, but this a real test and Is rewarding too. I'm really Liking Tunic 9 out if 10

I actually played all of the opening of Days Gone. It runs beautifully on PS5 and it still looks very solid. It has all the ingredients for a fantastic game but it just kinda burns out to a 7.5 type game. 

But they have the mechanics down including phenomenal motorcycle controls. It's definitely a fun game to revisit.

7 hours ago, best3444 said:

I actually played all of the opening of Days Gone. It runs beautifully on PS5 and it still looks very solid. It has all the ingredients for a fantastic game but it just kinda burns out to a 7.5 type game. 

But they have the mechanics down including phenomenal motorcycle controls. It's definitely a fun game to revisit.

Gets ULTRA repetitive and boring in less that 10 hours into it though. At the start if feels like a AAA / 9/10 game, but that fades way to quickly. Keeping ones mind engaged in these type games in the hardest part. Just a shame as it did have potential 'll give it that!  

14 hours ago, best3444 said:

7 hours ago, HardAct said:

Gets ULTRA repetitive and boring in less that 10 hours into it though. At the start if feels like a AAA / 9/10 game, but that fades way to quickly. Keeping ones mind engaged in these type games in the hardest part. Just a shame as it did have potential 'll give it that!  

I’m sorry that you guys didn’t like it very much, because I really liked it. It engaged me the entire time, it’s a 9/10 for me. :shrug:

12 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

I’m sorry that you guys didn’t like it very much, because I really liked it. It engaged me the entire time, it’s a 9/10 for me. :shrug:

It's good but not great. It loses it's focus and gets a bit repetitive but it's still a solid game. You can experience it in 60fps on your PS5 Pro. It holds up really well. 

On 8/6/2023 at 7:39 AM, best3444 said:

It's good but not great. It loses it's focus and gets a bit repetitive but it's still a solid game. You can experience it in 60fps on your PS5 Pro. It holds up really well. 

The second area is by far the worst part of the game I felt.  It gets its groove back after that more or less.  Overall it has a hard time making the transition between heavily wooded areas where individual zombies threaten you to the fun of the  (almost) endgame where you take down hordes with ease.  But its still a fun romp that I enjoyed enough to finish.  The skill tree is ace, one of the best I can remember in a game.

• True 1

PSA for any switch owners looking for a chill game. Shin chan: Me and the Professor on Summer Vacation -The Endless Seven-Day Journey- is currently on sale on the eShop.

hero
WWW.NINTENDO.COM

Hiroshi has to go on a business trip to Kyushu, so now the entire Nohara family has decided to stay with an childhood friend of Misae's in Asso, Kumamoto. But when they arrive at Kumamoto Station on their way to Asso, they meet a strange man who offers t…

Before you go, what?!?!, This game was created by Millennium Kitchen, the studio who previously brought us the Boku no Natsuyasumi series and Attack of the Friday Monsters on 3DS.

This is currently my palette cleanser as I go through the final stretch on Danganronpa V3 (this game is really testing me, specially since its crashed or locked up on me multiple times on switch, uggg should have played it on vita).

• Like 1

All the Baldurs Gate 3 talk and coverage has me feeling a bit left out, and I try not to spend $60 on a game if I can avoid it, so I started up another run of Divinity: Original Sin 2.

I’m going with a caster this time. My first play through was with a rogue.

Game Information

Game Title: Mr. Run and Jump

Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (Jul 25, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Jul 25, 2023)
  • Nintendo Switch (Jul 25, 2023)
  • PC (Jul 25, 2023)
  • Xbox One (Jul 25, 2023)
  • PlayStation 4 (Jul 25, 2023)

Trailer:

Publisher: Atari

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 81 average - 83% recommended

Critic Reviews

Digital Chumps - Nathaniel Stevens - 8 / 10

Mr. Run and Jump from Graphite Lab and Atari is a phenomenal tip of the hat to simple, yet fun games born during the heyday of the Atari 2600 VCS. While the game’s simplicity is a mask for a more mechanic-fueled strategy game that will test your gaming nerves over and over again through its complicated gameplay design, the journey very much pays off by the end.

Game Informer - Brian Shea - 8 / 10

Mr. Run and Jump may look unassuming on the surface, but the challenges that await will have you screaming in frustration until they have you shouting in triumph. Though the trial-and-error style of each difficult room sometimes wore on me, after each success, I couldn’t wait to see what hurdles I needed to clear next.

GameBlast - Carlos França Júnior - Portuguese - 8.5 / 10

Mr. Run and Jump manages to blend the vibe of old platformers with modern elements without really appealing to nostalgia. Even with its high difficulty right from the start, it's a great title for those who just want to enjoy a good old-fashioned challenge.

GameGrin - Artura Dawn - 10 / 10

Take control of Run and Jump and explore various worlds of colour with precision platforming and post-game challenges that will prove to be extremely challenging and just as fun.

GameLuster - Sarim Irfan - 7 / 10

A delightful moveset coupled with an overly punishing challenge ironically makes Mr. Run and Jump a balanced recommendation. It will be great, but it will demand the most of you.

Gaming Age - Chris Dunlap - A or higher

Mr. Run and Jump is an awesome looking game with fantastic challenges that will keep you coming back for more. I absolutely love the entire presentation from the beginning all the way through to the end.

God is a Geek - Sean Smith - 7.5 / 10

Mr. Run and Jump gives a feeling of pure unadulterated gaming joy like no other when your co-ordination and the sharp controls combine.

Hey Poor Player - Josh Speer - 4 / 5

I honestly had a great time playing Mr. Run and Jump. There’s a variety of fun mechanics, solid platforming, and distinct challenge. That said, the challenge may be too much for some folks, and I even considered throwing my controller aside in frustration several times. If you can push through the difficulty, there’s a ton of replay value and a surprisingly humorous adventure to enjoy—a great effort from Atari, Graphite Lab, and Heavy Horse Games.

IGN Italy - Damaso Scibetta - Italian - 8 / 10

A platformer that requires extreme precision, but also honest, fun, difficult, and almost never frustrating. Atari returns to show us its expertise gained over more than 50 years of development and publishing: Mr. Run and Jump will appeal to you whether you're a hardcore gamer or you're looking for a quiet platformer, whether you started playing in the 1970s or a few days ago. A classic, without really being one.

Impulsegamer - Martijn van Gent - 4 / 5

Overall, I had a lovely time with Mr. Run and Jump. It has pretty much everything I could ask for in a 2D platformer: responsive controls, fun movement options, solid level design, and adequate production values. The game is difficult but also has enough options to accommodate most skill levels – nevertheless, as discussed earlier, people who love the challenge shall probably get the most out of it. To those people, it's an easy recommend from me. If you're more of a casual platformer fan, Mr. Run and Jump is still entertaining – just be aware that the game will likely be less of a time investment, for better and for worse.

LadiesGamers.com - James Luff - Liked

Mr Run and Jump scores a deserved recommendation thanks to its excellent and simple fun to the point gameplay. But I don’t recommend this for everyone. If you have been put off by precision platformers before, this game will not win you over. This appeals to the dedicated platform fans, streamers and of course speedrunners.

It’s a good Switch port that runs well in TV and handheld mode. If you’re looking for a challenge that really tests your platforming skills then Mr Run and Jump is well worth running or jumping onto the eshop to find.

NextGen Player - Paul Hunter - 9 / 10

I'm having a blast playing Mr. Run and Jump even though it's totally kicking my butt. The challenge is supremely steep, but players who love hard platformers or speedrunning will surely enjoy this polished gameplay experience.

Nindie Spotlight - Justin Nation - 8.3 / 10

If you’re in the market for a responsive, challenging, and tough-but-fair platformer to obsess over, this delivers

PS4Blog.net - EdEN - 8.5 / 10

Challenging but fun neon-infused 2D platformer

PSX Brasil - Thiago de Alencar Moura - Portuguese - 80 / 100

Mr. Run and Jump is an excellent example of how simplicity enhances an experience. With great gameplay and level design, its focus on delivering a good 2D platformer is clear and should entertain even the most demanding fan of the genre.

Shacknews - Steve Tyminski - 7 / 10

If you want to see more great video reviews like this, then make sure you check out the Shacknews YouTube channel. It's the number one spot on the internet for all your video game needs as well as great shows like the Stevetendo show!

Video Chums - A.J. Maciejewski - 4 / 5

I had way more fun with Mr. Run and Jump than I thought I would as its puzzle-like approach to stringing together jumps is impressive.

WayTooManyGames - Leonardo Faria - 8 / 10

Mr. Run and Jump stands out from the barrage of challenging precision-based platforms infesting today’s indie scene by having some well-crafted (albeit utterly infuriating) level designs, but most importantly, some commendable accessibility options for newcomers to the genre. It wants you to get angry at its gauntlets, but it doesn’t want you to ragequit. It will always give you an extra push to help you beat a section just a few runs before you lose your patience.

Indie platform fans pay attention, I am loving this shit.

I’ve been playing PGA Tour 2K21 and it’s a solid golf game, but a little basic. There’s no charm, depth, or pizazz to it. It’s pretty much the same standard golf video game that has been being made forever, but with improved play mechanics. Someone seriously needs to make a golf RPG at this point that has a story, characters and a real sense of progression beyond just basically playing as a generic avatar or real pro golfer doing tournaments and nothing else outside of that. I would like a video game version of something similar to the movie The Greatest Game Ever Played where you create a character, and follow their golf career from child to adult from amateur to pro to champion with story and character interaction throughout.

11 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I’ve been playing PGA Tour 2K21 and it’s a solid golf game, but a little basic. There’s no charm, depth, or pizazz to it. It’s pretty much the same standard golf video game that has been being made forever, but with improved play mechanics. Someone seriously needs to make a golf RPG at this point that has a story, characters and a real sense of progression beyond just basically playing as a generic avatar or real pro golfer doing tournaments and nothing else outside of that. I would like a video game version of something similar to the movie The Greatest Game Ever Played where you create a character, and follow their golf career from child to adult from amateur to pro to champion with story and character interaction throughout.

That's a great idea and hope that it's executed someday. I agree, even PGA tour is completely lifeless and robotic.

I wanted some new gamey ass games so I picked up Disney Illusion Island, Mr Run and Jump, Marble It Up! Ultra, 30xx, and one I never heard of before seeing its release:

Hbu7fy7y.jpg
OPENCRITIC.COM

Koa and the Five Pirates of Mara is rated 'Fair' after being reviewed by 18 critics, with an overall average score of 73. It's ranked in the top 49% of games and recommended by 59% of critics.

Only a 73 OC but it’s a platformer so it might as well be a 105 OC.

This is the one I dove into first and I’m really liking it so far. It’s VERY polished for an indie 3D platformer (I see now it’s a spin off of that harvest moon clone), I was surprised by the presentation.

I also picked it up on Switch for some reason and was happy to see it seems a solid 60fps. It’s a Super Mario 3D World-like with a fixed camera. Controls are very fluid and I can see this being a good breezy time while finishing my Friends marathon.

@crispy4000 you might want to check this one out if you haven’t 

3 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

EA’s PGA Tour is as close to what you described. You create yourself and then it plays like an RPG. You go thru the entire real life Golf calendar. In between you can do training sessions (think license tests in Gran Turismo) and complete sponsor challenges for companies like Nike, Puma,  New Balance, Titleist, Callaway, Taylor Made etc. Unlocking skill points and gear. It’s really fun. 

19 hours ago, Nokra said:

I started playing Vampire Survivors on my Steam Deck today. Before I knew it, 3 hours had gone by. :lol: 

The sign of an addictive game, I guess. :daydream:

If you liked that, give Halls of Torment a try it's much better IMO and i LOVED Vampire Survivor if that means / say anything to you.....

• Thanks 1

Watched the credits on two games tonight.

Ratchet & Clank -- A Rift Apart -- solid game 8/10.  A little short, but way too easy.

Harry Potter -- Hogwart's Legacy -- Didn't recognize I had 30 minutes after the final boss fight to see the credits..  8/10.  The first ten hours were magic, but it couldn't keep it up.  A solid 8/10.

Thinking of playing through Spider-Man this week.

• Halal 1

On 8/12/2023 at 1:19 PM, Biggie said:

EA’s PGA Tour is as close to what you described. You create yourself and then it plays like an RPG. You go thru the entire real life Golf calendar. In between you can do training sessions (think license tests in Gran Turismo) and complete sponsor challenges for companies like Nike, Puma,  New Balance, Titleist, Callaway, Taylor Made etc. Unlocking skill points and gear. It’s really fun. 

That sounds like a step in the right direction and better than PGA Tour 2K21/2K23, but still not the story and character driven golf RPG that I ultimately want. Speaking of PGA Tour 2K23, it’s a big disappointment IMO. It’s basically PGA Tour 2K21.5. The additions that it offers are minimal at best, and it plays worse than 2K21. In fact, I think that it’s actually worse overall. It’s basically the same exact game with almost everything recycled from 2K21, but with worse menus, character models and swing mechanics. The menus are cluttered, confusing and difficult to navigate, the character models are more realistic looking but uglier with less good hair options and the new curved swing bar to the left of the player is a lot harder to look at when swinging since it’s off to the left side of the player instead of below them. And the backswing moves so fast that it’s next to impossible to downswing without reaching full power so every swing is always at full power. Everything else including the animations, tournaments, commentary, courses, music and sound effects are all recycled from 2K21. They spent two years making the same game worse, bravo 2K games. :clap:

1 hour ago, Phaseknox said:

That sounds like a step in the right direction and better than PGA Tour 2K21/2K23, but still not the story and character driven golf RPG that I ultimately want. Speaking of PGA Tour 2K23, it’s a big disappointment IMO. It’s basically PGA Tour 2K21.5. The additions that it offers are minimal at best, and it plays worse than 2K21. In fact, I think that it’s actually worse overall. It’s basically the same exact game with almost everything recycled from 2K21, but with worse menus, character models and swing mechanics. The menus are cluttered, confusing and difficult to navigate, the character models are more realistic looking but uglier with less good hair options and the new curved swing bar to the left of the player is a lot harder to look at when swinging since it’s off to the left side of the player instead of below them. And the backswing moves so fast that it’s next to impossible to downswing without reaching full power so every swing is always at full power. Everything else including the animations, tournaments, commentary, courses, music and sound effects are all recycled from 2K21. They spent two years making the same game worse, bravo 2K games. :clap:

That's typical 2K for you. I was a die hard NBA 2K fan but got burnt so many times with rehashes year after year. 2K11 was it's peak then it never got any better. They are all about micro transactions and ripping people off. Sorry to hear it's not even really fun. 

1 hour ago, Phaseknox said:

There’s a Dead Island 3? :o I’m more behind with new games than I realized. :p

Not only is there a Dead Island 3, it's fucking amazing.