What are you playing today?

7 hours ago, best3444 said:

That's typical 2K for you. I was a die hard NBA 2K fan but got burnt so many times with rehashes year after year. 2K11 was it's peak then it never got any better. They are all about micro transactions and ripping people off.

That sounds similar to the Tiger Woods PGA Tour games, 09 is the best in the series and the games continued to get worse after it. It’s still the best golf video game that I’ve played, there hasn’t been a golf game as good as it since IMO. Perhaps EA Sports PGA Tour is, but I haven’t played it yet. PGA Tour 2K21 is the best golf game that I’ve played in a while, but unfortunately it’s kind of basic and barebones. I was hoping that PGA Tour 2K23 was going to be an improvement, but it’s actually worse IMO.

• Hugs 1

Watching my daughter play Untitled Goose Game (or Ducks, as she has opted to call it). She’s enjoyed honking  and picking up the apple and sandwich to put in the water. I mean, I’m sure it’s not great that a 2 year old is playing a game (well very nearly 3) but it’s very entertaining to watch. 

Been playing a lot of:

dI4gFqPl.jpg
OPENCRITIC.COM

Mr. Run and Jump is rated 'Strong' after being reviewed by 19 critics, with an overall average score of 81. It's ranked in the top 17% of games and recommended by 84% of critics.

It’s a pretty good ultra hard platformer. If you like the platforming parts of Celeste (this has a little story and pretty nice art but it’s nowhere on the level as that game there) Id check it out.

It’s harder than Celeste though and I’d almost not try even to collect all the diamonds in each level. There’s like 250 in one level and if you miss one you just have to collect them all again. And since getting past any screen takes me several minutes often, no way in hell can I do that. There are three orbs to collect in each level that are a much more reasonable challenge though.

Like I played all day yesterday and i’m on like the 7th level lol

19 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I’ve been bouncing around a lot the couple weeks, but now I’m fully locked in on Remnant 2.

Really wanting this one, but buying Baldur's Gate 3 today and with Starfield just around the corner it make no sense. It's already sub $40 on CD keys not that it's a money issue but still want it.

As for "What am I playing"  I've been having a shit ton of fun playing Outbreak solo zombies in CoD: Black ops cold war. I haven't bought a Cod Game now in well over 6 years and I won't. That said it was a "Freebie'ish" through PS+ Premium and I thought I'd try it. It was a 240+ gig download on the PS5. I ended up uninstalling the Campaign though might revisit it down this road. The amount of Gameplay on this is INSANE! I'm not even sure if this is one game or two games packaged as one? Meaning did it ship CoD: Black Ops Cold War? or are they selling two titles together now? I enjoy playing multiplayer w/ bots, but Zombies are great. A single game of Outbreak solo :"Forget the mode, it's the 3rd option for Outbreak though" can be well into the 3 hours! I'm really liking the gunplay as I always have, and am loving all the maps and modes. Last CoD game I bought was Black ops 3 and I still was playing a zombie match here and there on the Series X until this year or so. Then about a month ago I found this one on PS= and am glad I gave it a try even though it was EASSILY the biggest download I have ever seen!

Would love to play some Outbreak with a couple friends if any of you play it. I tried a few games with randos but they all just play so haphazardly with no co-op in mind at all. It's frustrating and is what I remembered back when I cared. I don't play online team Deathmatch simply because I'm just not good enough. 

39 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I'll be interested in what the reviews think. 

Like I said before. The reviews will always be what they always are. Regardless if the game is good and highly improved. I won’t say in years past Madden has fallen short of expectations but 23 and now 24 aren’t those Maddens. 

40 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Like I said before. The reviews will always be what they always are. Regardless if the game is good and highly improved. I won’t say in years past Madden has fallen short of expectations but 23 and now 24 aren’t those Maddens. 

Well that video review i linked you to really trashed the technical side of both 23 and 24. I'll take your word for it because I know you're an avid fan who doesn't play garbage. It looks absolutely beautiful btw. 

46 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Well that video review i linked you to really trashed the technical side of both 23 and 24. I'll take your word for it because I know you're an avid fan who doesn't play garbage. It looks absolutely beautiful btw. 

Eye candy 

On 8/16/2023 at 12:25 PM, stepee said:

Been playing a lot of:

dI4gFqPl.jpg
OPENCRITIC.COM

Mr. Run and Jump is rated 'Strong' after being reviewed by 19 critics, with an overall average score of 81. It's ranked in the top 17% of games and recommended by 84% of critics.

It’s a pretty good ultra hard platformer. If you like the platforming parts of Celeste (this has a little story and pretty nice art but it’s nowhere on the level as that game there) Id check it out.

It’s harder than Celeste though and I’d almost not try even to collect all the diamonds in each level. There’s like 250 in one level and if you miss one you just have to collect them all again. And since getting past any screen takes me several minutes often, no way in hell can I do that. There are three orbs to collect in each level that are a much more reasonable challenge though.

Like I played all day yesterday and i’m on like the 7th level lol

Yeah, unfortunately by world 4 this has difficulty curved itself out of my enjoyment. Trying to even collect the orbs is no longer fun now. I spent hours on one of them and then soon they all became that hard or harder. You also need orbs (including orbs you get for collecting all the diamonds, which I would consider a form of self hatred to attempt) to unlock all of the levels in the last world, so that makes it worse.

Im just trying to beat the levels now and see if maybe you get some kind of ending if you beat everything besides the ones you need orbs for. At this point even doing that is a bit much it’s so difficult but also it ruined my patience at this point, maybe if I started out doing that. 

Too bad as it’s a really tight, great controlling platformer with a fun move set and addictive die/reset/try again room based platforming challenges. And I do like the look of it a lot. But the difficulty just comes down to level design, and it is simply a flaw to make it this challenging. Especially with the requirements to unlock the last levels.

My patience for platformers is much higher than say, a Souls game. I can do some hard stuff like Celeste and Super Meat Boy. The level design here just requires so much skill, use of the entire move set, memorization of the room and enemy patterns, perfect timing, and just pure lightning fast reflex speed, that it kind of sucks the joy out of the entire thing. It requires such perfection that it starts to stagnate any creativity in your platforming and turns into following strict orders to meet the demands of the level design.

Im not done with it yet, I’m going to see if I can at least beat the levels they aren’t locking behind the requirements. But they really made what could have been a solid 8/10 platformer into a 6/10 frustrating experience because they simply couldn’t help themselves as the game goes on.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

I'm starting up Uncharted: The Lost Legacy tonight.

Have you played it before? It’s one of my favorite Uncharted games.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

My patience for platformers is much higher than say, a Souls game. I can do some hard stuff like Celeste and Super Meat Boy. The level design here just requires so much skill, use of the entire move set, memorization of the room and enemy patterns, perfect timing, and just pure lightning fast reflex speed, that it kind of sucks the joy out of the entire thing.

I gave Celeste a shot since I heard such great things about it, but NOPE!!!! I couldn’t handle its difficulty. And this is even more challenging than Celeste? No thanks. I know that some people like punishing difficulties in games, but I don’t which is why I gave up on Soulslikes. I play games to be entertained and have fun, neither of which are happening when I want to throw my controller through my TV in a fit of RAGE!!!!

3 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

Have you played it before? It’s one of my favorite Uncharted games.

I gave Celeste a shot since I heard such great things about it, but NOPE!!!! I couldn’t handle its difficulty. And this is even more challenging than Celeste? No thanks. I know that some people like punishing difficulties in games, but I don’t which is why I gave up on Soulslikes. I play games to be entertained and have fun, neither of which are happening when I want to throw my controller through my TV in a fit of RAGE!!!!

This is me trying to kill the last boss in Remnant 2

Angry Jon Bernthal GIF by NETFLIX

• Haha 4

46 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Doesn't Celeste have a no fail easy mode?

Even better it has a whole suite of adjustable difficulty accessibility options so you can tune it a bit to your liking without making it a cake walk.

I think I only had to use them maybe once with the extra jump at one part but I always liked knowing they were there as a fallback. But yeah you can definitely make it a lot easier while having it still feel like a fun to play platformer (or a total cake walk if that’s what you want)

Mr Run and Jump’s accessibility options unfortunately aren’t that great. It gives you an invincibility power up option that lasts for a screen, but that isn’t ever a good option. I don’t like it when Nintendo uses that either. I want to make it a little easier but I don’t want to essentially skip actually playing that section. I don’t use it at all, I’d rather just give up.

You can also get an extra checkpoint within the screen, but even with tweaking it to have it show up more often, they are still super rare if you’ll get one when you need it or not. 

I hope we get a Celeste 2 some day.

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Doesn't Celeste have a no fail easy mode?

I don’t know, but being too easy isn’t fun either. I like to be reasonably challenged in games, just not to the point of frustration.

7 hours ago, stepee said:

Even better it has a whole suite of adjustable difficulty accessibility options so you can tune it a bit to your liking without making it a cake walk.

I think I only had to use them maybe once with the extra jump at one part but I always liked knowing they were there as a fallback. But yeah you can definitely make it a lot easier while having it still feel like a fun to play platformer (or a total cake walk if that’s what you want)

I didn’t know that, perhaps I’ll play it again at some point now. However, I admit that I don’t really like pure platformers without anything else that you do in them such as fighting enemies and/or solving puzzles. So I’m not sure if I will like Celeste even if it’s less challenging.

I’ve been dipping into PS+ as my wife subscribed and I’ve tried out:

TMNT: Shredder’s Revenge - I have limited nostalgia for the Turtles games, so I’ll give this a go and see if I can finish it on an easier difficulty setting.

Spiderman: Miles Morales - liking this a fair bit. I found I grew tired of the first Insomniac Spiderman game (as I do with most open world games) but knowing this isn’t a full length experience makes it feel tolerable (already).

Death’s Door - so far really taken with this and what it’s about. I like the aesthetic and the combat and movement feel decent. 

I have Slay the Spire and Yakuza: Like a Dragon available as well, but chances are the latter won’t be getting  touched.

So many good games, so little time! 

On 8/18/2023 at 7:40 AM, Biggie said:

Madden? More like Sadden amirite? 

😬

I played 3 hours of Lost Legacy today and it's a phenomenal game. The pacing is so good because it's a short game so no wasted time on bullshit cutscenes and such. It's straight to the point and action packed. The puzzles are fun and not too difficult so I'm really glad I played this. I don't remember anything either.

The visuals are very impressive for a cleaned up PS4 title. The water is last gen and so is some of the foliage in the background but it's still looks great and 60fps is nice.

• Like 1