~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

pope-crowd-edmonton.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

Two new large-scale reports, one published by Statistics Canada and the other in the Canadian Medical Association Journal, are giving a clearer picture of the long-term impacts of COVID-19 infections on Canadians and the health-care system.

One report, published Monday by Statistics Canada, found that nearly 15 per cent of people who've contracted COVID-19 say they experienced lingering symptoms such as fatigue, shortness of breath or brain fog three months or more after their initial infection. 

But compared with earlier phases of the pandemic, the report found that a much smaller proportion of those infected since the Omicron variant hit Canada late last year reported such long-term symptoms. 

StatsCan, which conducted the survey in partnership with the Public Health Agency of Canada, describes it as the first nationally representative report of its kind. 

A separate study also published Monday, in the Canadian Medical Association Journal (CMAJ), found that people who tested positive for COVID-19 in Ontario used more hospital and other health-care resources in the months after their infection cleared than those who tested negative. 

6 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:
pope-crowd-edmonton.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

Two new large-scale reports, one published by Statistics Canada and the other in the Canadian Medical Association Journal, are giving a clearer picture of the long-term impacts of COVID-19 infections on Canadians and the health-care system.

That's both good news and bad news. Good because fewer people who catch Omicron apparently have long-lasting effects, but bad because far more people catch Omicron than other strains.

DTQLN6UVGII6ZOZROT6ANQFDUU.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

As the pandemic progressed, the damage done by the coronavirus broadened, and the toxicity of modern-day politics came to the fore.

Is this the "white genocide" I keep hearing about?!?

• Sicko 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

On 10/17/2022 at 9:00 PM, Joe said:

I have on again off again laryngitis since I got COVID, but I feel like people are blaming every symptom in the world they experience on long COVID so I’m still skeptical.

Gene Park (wapo) had something like this. He thought he had long covid. No energy, tired, etc. Turns out to be Colon Cancer. I said before, I know long covid is real, but how much of it are other medical problems that have gone unchecked because the hospital system couldn't look after everything for two years?

11 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

As the pandemic progressed, the damage done by the coronavirus broadened, and the toxicity of modern-day politics came to the fore.

The white death

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

I thought the "white genocide" was more fun than a pandemic.  I thought it was more there was a conspiracy out there to get white people to have sex and then kids with non-white people.

40 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

ICU numbers and deaths haven't been "high" for vaccinated people since Delta.  And are extremely low for people under 65.  Even with these new variants.

That may change, but there is no data yet demonstrating that it will.

That can be true and also that I don't want to ever catch it. Of the people I know who have caught it this year (all vaccinated and boosted), over 10% have lost their sense of taste and smell for at least a month. Two people I know have only recovered about 25% of their taste/smell. 

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

That can be true and also that I don't want to ever catch it. Of the people I know who have caught it this year (all vaccinated and boosted), over 10% have lost their sense of taste and smell for at least a month. Two people I know have only recovered about 25% of their taste/smell. 

I've had it twice this year -- didn't have any of those issues  (my booster had worse symptoms than, the second time I had it).  Your social bubble seems to have had significantly more long-term impacts than mine.

Do I want to have it again?  Not particularly.  Am I worried about having it again?  Not really.

7 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I've had it twice this year -- didn't have any of those issues  (my booster had worse symptoms than, the second time I had it).  Your social bubble seems to have had significantly more long-term impacts than mine.

Do I want to have it again?  Not particularly.  Am I worried about having it again?  Not really.

I mean I've also been in one car accident and didn't lose a leg, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen or that I want to experience an accident again. There's a significant amount of people that experience long COVID (10-15% over a few month period, and seemingly 5-10% over longer periods), and it seems to get worse with each infection. I'm not in a rush.

17 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I mean I've also been in one car accident and didn't lose a leg, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen or that I want to experience an accident again. There's a significant amount of people that experience long COVID (10-15% over a few month period, and seemingly 5-10% over longer periods), and it seems to get worse with each infection. I'm not in a rush.

Just like Covid, I'm not letting my knowledge of car accidents stop me from going about my daily life.  Nor, do I worry about them all that much.

If at some point, a new variant emerges that changes the risk factors for vaccinated people under the age of 65, I'll get concerned.  There is not yet any evidence that this has happened.  

I'm not telling other people with other risk factors (i.e. serious pulmonary risk factors, over the age of 80) not to be concerned, but I don't think the vast majority of vaccinated people should have anxiety over Covid at this moment.

• Halal 1

21 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Just like Covid, I'm not letting my knowledge of car accidents stop me from going about my daily life.  Nor, do I worry about them all that much.

If at some point, a new variant emerges that changes the risk factors for vaccinated people under the age of 65, I'll get concerned.  There is not yet any evidence that this has happened.  

I'm not telling other people with other risk factors (i.e. serious pulmonary risk factors, over the age of 80) not to be concerned, but I don't think the vast majority of vaccinated people should have anxiety over Covid at this moment.

There's definitely a split between those of us who just want to move on and treat it like the flu, and those who think we should change forever. 

The idea that you can dodge it is a bit silly. Most of those people had it already and had no symptoms. The second time I only knew because I was required to test after positive contact. Otherwise, there were zero symptoms, and I know many others had the same experience.

• True 1

I haven’t thought about getting sick since the day I got my second dose. Covid booster is just another one of my annual vaccinations (flu, and I also get a pneumonia vaccine since I’m diabetic). I don’t see anything in the data that would make me a high enough risk to worry about the inevitable Covid reinfection I’ll get.

107130674-1665094784686-gettyimages-1243
WWW.CNBC.COM

Two independent studies suggest the new Covid booster shots don't protect better against omicron BA.5 than the original vaccines.

Two studies are raising doubts about whether the new omicron BA.5 booster really will offer better protection against Covid than the first generation shot.

Scientists at Columbia University in New York City found the new boosters did not produce a better antibody response in humans against BA.5 than the first-generation vaccines. A separate study by scientists at Harvard essentially came to the same conclusion.

“It’s important to note that the two studies were done independently. They’re small studies but there are two of them —it’s not just a fluke,” said Dr. Dan Barouch, the lead author of the Harvard study. Barouch’s lab played a pivotal role in the development of the Johnson & Johnson
 Covid vaccine.

Both studies were published as preprints, which means neither has undergone peer review by others in the field. They analyzed samples from small groups, 21 people in the Columbia study and 18 in the Harvard study, who received the new boosters and compared them with individuals who received the old vaccine as their fourth shot.

The studies indicate that the new boosters do not perform better than the old shots, though they are also probably not worse, said Dr. Paul Offit, a member of the FDA’s independent vaccine advisory committee. In other words, vaccine recipients probably get the same level of protection that would come from a fourth dose with the first generation shots, he said.

• Like 1

My friend caught Covid over a week ago and is still feeling like shit and testing positive. Talk on the the phone and discord last night over Halo. He sounded like crap with a bad hack, but he said his phlegm was no longer yellow. Very tired and gets winded easily doing a flight of stairs. My mom and I battled something for just over 3 weeks about a month ago and felt like shit. Random aches/sore throat, cough, runny nose, and lack of energy. Although we did test ourselves midway and were negative with our kit. Now I have a stuffy nose, can’t sleep for shit, and random chest pain but in that extreme anxiety inducing way. That last one there I have had a few times with my long haulers but these feel scary. My family had this with their initial Covid battle all the way back in April 2020. Fuck do I hate this shit 

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
107130674-1665094784686-gettyimages-1243
WWW.CNBC.COM

Two independent studies suggest the new Covid booster shots don't protect better against omicron BA.5 than the original vaccines.

The scientists at Columbia and Harvard said their studies suggest that a phenomenon called “immune imprinting” may pose a challenge to new boosters. This means your immune system is already primed by the monovalent shots to recognize wild type Covid, which can make it difficult to train your body to recognize and attack new strains.

I mentioned this nearly a year ago. New shots will perform better than old shots with people who haven’t been vaccinated, but will make less impact on those who have prior vaccinations with the old shot. Turns out the scientists who were warning of this probably were correct.

moschitto-family.JPG
WWW.CBC.CA

Elderly or medically frail Canadians are now the classic victims of COVID-19. And hundreds of the country's most vulnerable are still dying every single week, federal data shows.

CBC News spoke to multiple physicians to get a sense of what's behind that trend, and who's dying of COVID-19 in late 2022. Canadians who are elderly, already battling multiple pre-existing health conditions, or undergoing immune-suppressing treatments such as chemotherapy all remain at a higher risk of dying. 

Some are winding up in critical care, while others are now being treated for their illnesses and eventually dying in other settings, including other hospital wards.

"It's a completely different patient population than the earlier waves," said Dr. Bram Rochwerg, a critical care physician with Hamilton Health Sciences in Hamilton, Ont.

He recounted the horror stories of COVID's early days: Young, healthy adults becoming incredibly sick and winding up in intensive care on mechanical ventilation, or even extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO), the highest form of life support.

"We're not seeing those young, previously healthy, super-sick folks that we saw at the peak of Delta," he said.