~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Anecdotally: the school division I work for (32 schools, 12,000+ kids) is required to report sick absences to the ministry of education if total absences for any individual school exceed 10%. Well...last week, only two of our schools has less than 10% of kids away sick on any given day. And multiple had 30-40% gone per day. The worst was one with 45% kids out.

Within my (IT) department, out of 18 staff we currently have 5 sick...all of them are front-line technicians that go into schools. Right now we only have one tech available for 32 schools, which means hardware tickets are piling up. 

The current outbreak is not Covid.  In Ontario,

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

A few not-good things:

JQZ7Z2ICBNNPZG2FB2VZGZ466E.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

The risk of death, hospitalization and serious health issues from COVID-19 jumps significantly with reinfection compared with a first bout with the virus, regardless of vaccination status, a study published on Thursday suggests.

Children's hospitals in Canada are beyond their limit and are cancelling surgeries. There is also no more children's Tylenol or Advil.

FhToBBXXEAQ-p_U?format=png&name=small

Kids are being hospitalized at 3x the normal rate right now thanks to COVID, RSV, and Flu. Massive pressure from health departments in Ontario and Quebec to bring in a mask mandate again, but it sounds like the provincial governments are refusing, and will merely "strongly suggest."

Has very little to do with Covid, in Ontario (on Thursday, last day reported), of the 122 children in ICU, only 5 had Covid.  Overall ICU numbers from COVID are also relatively low (province is reporting over 560 adult ICU beds available, with only 138 adults in ICU for Covid, [peak was ~890]).

This is primarily about RSV (and to a smaller extent about the Flu).  RSV is a virus that 90% of kids catch while toddlers.

There isn't going to be much support for mask mandates to control seasonal respiratory viruses.

RSV has been pretty bad with the schools and daycare here in Texas. I had a feeling this would happen though. A few years of wearing masks and suppressing "smaller" viruses like this, and then kids are exposed to it and it just hits harder. My kids have each gone through it and my youngest who's in his last year of daycare keeps getting sick with cold-like symptoms. His daycare classroom also has had a few weeks where a ton of kids are out. 

7OOGSSFGAMI6ZBRIHWSPVD4HCQ.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

An RSV outbreak is worrying hospitals already preparing for an uptick in variants of another respiratory virus — the one that causes covid-19.

daycare 

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The current outbreak is not Covid.  In Ontario,

Has very little to do with Covid, in Ontario (on Thursday, last day reported), of the 122 children in ICU, only 5 had Covid. 

Just like I said in the post you are quoting.

Overall ICU numbers from COVID are also relatively low (province is reporting over 560 adult ICU beds available, with only 138 adults in ICU for Covid, [peak was ~890]).

Again, this is about children's ICUs

There isn't going to be much support for mask mandates to control seasonal respiratory viruses.

Okay. But it's a "seasonal" infection that appears to be over 3x worse this year than normal and is literalyl preventing cancer treatments for children, surgeries, etc. If people don't want to mask their kids up or wear one themselves (which is the absolute easiest thing to do), then I guess they don't really care as much about their kids, let's be honest. Do we ask them to continue using summer tires in the winter when it snows since the possibility of an accident is only 3x higher, instead of winter tires? Like, come on.

RSV is much, much worse this year than normal. Whether that's because it's worse in combination with prior COVID infection, or something else, it needs to be addressed because right now hospitals literally can't fit more kids into their ICUs, and are cancelling other life-saving procedures as a result.

something, something, no support for a return of masking...

montreal-1-6144432-1667944953085.jpg
WWW.CTVNEWS.CA

A majority of Canadians say they would support the return of mandatory face masks this fall for indoor public spaces if government officials deemed it necessary, according to a new Nanos Research survey.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Absolut's ideology demands that COVID is over. If a new strain appeared that killed people 12-40 at a 10% rate he'd still bemoan school closures, masking, etc. 

Dude I get it, I’m still watching people get admitted for this. It’s why I don’t bother wasting my time engaging with their kind. It’s too personal for me, my pandemic was very different from mosts and I know that changes my perspective and kills any ability for me to be unbiased.

Any time people say shit about masks or lockdowns I remember having to tell a woman her husband who came in four hours ago is now intubated and proned because their son went to Vegas; or going into Covid rooms with n95s we’d been wearing for a week. 

edit: hit enter too soon

They made my life hell, my friends life hell, my gfs life hell, for two years so they could posture about their freedumb. I watched more people die in a non trauma center setting than I ever did in my entire career.

I’d strip outside my apt door in the hallway naked, hooray Bay Area, bag my scrubs and drop them in my own hamper outside my patio back when our data was iffy on contact spread so my fiancé wouldn’t get exposed. that was my life for way too long. 

i can’t not take this personally.

• Hugs 2

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The specific question in the survey was:  "Would you support, somewhat support, somewhat oppose or oppose a return to mandatory wearing of face masks in indoor public places this fall if authorities deem it necessary due to rising Covid case numbers?"

Aha! You are clever, and you have proven us wrong. Clearly if something else could be prevented by wearing masks, even demon particle infestation from hell, then people would obviously give a completely different answer. Bravo, your intellect is showing.

:rolleyes:

I already started masking my kids up at school. They started the school year in masks, but none of their classmates were wearing masks and moving to a new school was rough enough, so I let in wane...then they became plague rats, and the masks are back in full force.

I just wish I could mask up my 5yo. The mask is more liable to end up in her mouth than covering it up for any extended periods of time.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The specific question in the survey was:  "Would you support, somewhat support, somewhat oppose or oppose a return to mandatory wearing of face masks in indoor public places this fall if authorities deem it necessary due to rising Covid case numbers?"

And your survey that they won’t for RSV, only Covid is where?

5 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Says nothing about RSV or if they would, so again your proof to my question?

Also equating what the public wants with what is good public policy. The public wasn't onboard with gay marriage being legalized in Alberta in 2004, but the government did it anyway. Same with mask and vaccine mandates in many places in 2020/2021. They were still the right calls, even if the public was behind (and in the end, the public followed them, etc).

40 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I guess if I'm wrong, I will see a sudden uptick to 50% of mask wearing in indoor places this week.  As all the people who support an implementation of an immediate mask mandate in Ontario will begin wearing masks again.

33 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I guess if I'm wrong, I will see a sudden uptick to 50% of mask wearing in indoor places this week.  As all the people who support an implementation of an immediate mask mandate in Ontario will begin wearing masks again.

8 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

Murica.

where we pay you for doing the right thing.

Honestly, it’s much more a European norm to give financial rewards for good behaviors. We rarely do so here. Probably should do it more, particularly in public health