~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

15 hours ago, Nokra said:

Doing my part; sitting outside of a Walgreens after receiving the Moderna bivalent, waiting the requisite 15 minutes to make sure I don't pass out. 

Is this a thing again for the bivalent booster or were people supposed to do the 15min wait with the previous booster as well? I ask because with my initial vaccination, both shots, they required me to sit for 15min, but with my booster (third shot) after the Pharmacist gave it to me I asked if I needed to hang out for 15min, he asked if I had any reactions to the previous two shots, after I said "no" he said "there's really no need, then. You can hang around for a bit to make sure, but you should be good".

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Is this a thing again for the bivalent booster or were people supposed to do the 15min wait with the previous booster as well? I ask because with my initial vaccination, both shots, they required me to sit for 15min, but with my booster (third shot) after the Pharmacist gave it to me I asked if I needed to hang out for 15min, he asked if I had any reactions to the previous two shots, after I said "no" he said "there's really no need, then. You can hang around for a bit to make sure, but you should be good".

They asked me to wait 15 minutes for all of mine, though the last time (2 weeks ago) they asked, "Do you have time to wait?"

Realistically if you haven't had adverse injection reactions to the first shot, then you're going to be fine for all subsequent shots. I always stick around a few minutes to be sure, but it's not really necessary. I got my flu shot last night, and we needed to wait in line for a prescription pickup anyway so we were there 15 minutes (which they asked us to stay for), so it worked out.

Got Covid 12 days ago for the first time. I caught it 2 days after my bivariant booster and flu shot. Prior to that I was last booster a year ago. Bivariant didn’t have a chance to kick in. 

I only had fever for two days early in. Oxygen has been good the entire time, clear mucus in the mornings, coughing here and there in the day, but not bad with those symptoms.  I’m on day 12 and I’m still testing positive, dealing with fatigue and malaise. The fatigue has been crippling. The fatigue improved somewhat for the first time the last couple of days thankfully, but I’m still not normal. I’m not immune compromised, but still taking forever. 

Edit:  I wanted to add that when people say they had fatigue from Covid I used it just kind of think that’s not a big deal. This has changed my perspective. The fatigue I’ve had has been so intense that I can’t do anything remotely mentally taxing for longer than an hour before I’m ready for a nap. My wife hasn’t caught it thankfully. 

I was starting to believe maybe I was genetically resistant to it since I had not caught it.  😂 

• Hugs 3

24 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

Got Covid 12 days ago for the first time. I caught it 2 days after my bivariant booster and flu shot. Prior to that I was last booster a year ago. Bivariant didn’t have a chance to kick in. 

I only had fever for two days early in. Oxygen has been good the entire time, clear mucus in the mornings, coughing here and there in the day, but not bad with those symptoms.  I’m on day 12 and I’m still testing positive, dealing with fatigue and malaise. The fatigue has been crippling. The fatigue improved somewhat for the first time the last couple of days thankfully, but I’m still not normal. I’m not immune compromised, but still taking forever. 

Edit:  I wanted to add that when people say they had fatigue from Covid I used it just kind of think that’s not a big deal. This has changed my perspective. The fatigue I’ve had has been so intense that I can’t do anything remotely mentally taxing for longer than an hour before I’m ready for a nap. My wife hasn’t caught it thankfully. 

I was starting to believe maybe I was genetically resistant to it since I had not caught it.  😂 

Most people don't understand what fatigue actually is. It's not anyone's fault, but it makes it tough for people to empathize with people who have it chronically from various diseases. "Yeah I'm tired all the time too, big deal."

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Most people don't understand what fatigue actually is. It's not anyone's fault, but it makes it tough for people to empathize with people who have it chronically from various diseases. "Yeah I'm tired all the time too, big deal."

In my mind, I was always most concerned if people had breathing problems because of how many people that have died or gone to the ICU. It was easy to just blow off the other symptoms that weren't breathing issues/oxygen or severe fever. I have a new perspective. Now I just want it to end. I'm concerned that I may end up with long covid. A coworker's brother had fatigue for 6 months. I'm thinking that won't be the case with me since I'm improving a bit now.

• Hugs 1

32 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

In my mind, I was always most concerned if people had breathing problems because of how many people that have died or gone to the ICU. It was easy to just blow off the other symptoms that weren't breathing issues/oxygen or severe fever. I have a new perspective. Now I just want it to end. I'm concerned that I may end up with long covid. A coworker's brother had fatigue for 6 months. I'm thinking that won't be the case with me since I'm improving a bit now.

I remain steadfast in my Zero COVID mission, even though much of our family is "fed up" with us refusing to have in-person social events, that we are still wearing masks, etc. Obviously my wife's health issues make this a larger concern, but we are slowly watching the empathy from others fade.

• Hugs 2

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I slept for 18-20 hours per day when I got mono and I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. That shit sucks!

Also having to sleep on top of towels because you're drenching your sheets in sweet while simultaneously unable to get warm.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Also having to sleep on top of towels because you're drenching your sheets in sweet while simultaneously unable to get warm.

Tbh the only thing I remember was only being able to eat about one small Wendy’s frosty per day and maybe some water. It was a blur. And the hives because my idiot doctor prescribed antibiotics 

logo-fb.png
WWW.CIDRAP.UMN.EDU

In "A New Phase," Dr. Osterholm and Chris Dall discuss the many new subvariants that are competing with BA.5, the Ebola outbreak in Uganda, and the challenges that will come with the next phase of the pandemic. Email us your questions: OsterholmUpdate@umn.edu Lynn's beautiful place: https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/lynns-beautiful-place Donate to support this podcast: https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/donate...

TLDR

1)  Wave appears to be happening in Europe (but, not yet elsewhere -- perhaps in Singapore/Bangladesh as well).  BA.5 seems to still be dominant variant in most countries (although other variants are showing signs of outcompeting BA.5 in some areas).

2)  There are ~4 variants that are being looked at (primarily descendants of BA.2 and BA.5).  They seem to have additional immune evasion characteristics.

3)  US deaths this year are primarily in unvaccinated older people.  88% of deaths are 65+, death rates are highest in indigenous/black communities and lowest in white/Asian ones, and higher among Republicans.

4) Waning immunity is something he is concerned about.  

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

From what I've gathered, the data suggests that SARS-CoV-2 impacts the human:

- respiratory system

- digestive system

- cardiovascular system

- central nervous system

- urinary system

- reproductive system

That's 6 of the 10 major systems of human physiology.

I recently saw someone say they had pressure on the back of their eyes while sick with COVID.

9EC4E8D9-CDCF-4FD6-BEF142052F4655C6.jpg
WWW.SCIENTIFICAMERICAN.COM

From conjunctivitis to vertigo, coronavirus infections can affect disparate senses

I’ve developed itching all over my body. No rashes or anything, and it’s non-stop. Benadryl will make it go away for a few hours, then it comes right back full force. Haven’t been to the doctor yet, but it definitely feels nerve related. This is ongoing for the past month now. Covid?? :hmm: