Former police officer convicted of murder in wrong-apartment killing of innocent man

https://abcnews.go.com/US/amber-guyger-convicted-murder-wrong-apartment-killing-innocent/story?id=65978073

A Texas jury rejected former Dallas police officer Amber Guyer's self-defense claims and convicted her on Tuesday of murder in the fatal 2018 shooting of an innocent man eating ice cream in his own home after mistaking his apartment for her own.

The 12-member jury reached its verdict deliberating for less than two days. Guyger stood and stared at the panel as the jury foreperson read the guilty verdict.

The family members of Botham Jean, the neighbor Guyger shot to death on Sept. 6, 2018, burst into tears as the jury granted them a measure of justice.

The 31-year-old Guyger, who was fired from the Dallas Police Department days after the shooting, faces a prison sentence of five to 99 years.

The jury came to its decision after asking for clarification on the definition of manslaughter and a clearer explanation of the Castle Doctrine, a legal protection for a homeowner who uses deadly force inside their home against an intruder.

Guyger's defense team attempted to use the Castle Doctrine, which is similar to Florida's "stand your ground" law, as a defense, arguing that while she was in the wrong apartment, in her mind she believed she was in her own unit, which was a floor below Jean's. The prosecution countered that the Castle Doctrine did not apply in the case.

guyger-2-ap-er-191001_hpEmbed_4x3_992.jp

Assistant District Attorney Jason Hermus waves a photo of Botham Jean at the jury as he presents his closing arguments in Amber Guyger's murder trial in Dallas, Texas, Sept. 30, 2019.

guyger-1-ap-er-191001_hpMain_4x3_992.jpg

Former Dallas police officer Amber Guyger appears at the Frank Crowley Courts Building in Dallas, Texas, Sept. 28, 2019.

3 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Not thinking about the specifics of this case: how long should murderers be put in prison? And I know there's a sliding scale with this kind of stuff so let's just say first-degree murder. How long?

I figure it needs to be evaluated on a case by case basis. Some people will never be rehabilitated. 

I actually don't mind Norway's method. 

3 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I doubt it, but there's still a difference between a murder conviction and manslaughter. The jury rejected manslaughter, that was mentioned in all the articles yesterday. 

Depending on the state murder can also have different levels with differing requirements. Texas actually does not have a "second degree" of murder and it looks like it needs intent per the 5 minutes of googling I have done. Apparently the jury believed she intended to cause harm hence the murder conviction rather that manslaughter.

1 minute ago, Link200 said:

Depending on the state murder can also have different levels with differing requirements. Texas actually does not have a "second degree" of murder and it looks like it needs intent per the 5 minutes of googling I have done. Apparently the jury believed she intended to cause harm hence the murder conviction rather that manslaughter.

Yeah, I was reading something to that effect. In her testimony she admitted to shooting to kill him, so intent was there. There's just no evidence she planned it out, which would explain the lighter sentence. Not familiar with Texas law, but I figure it's on par with second degree murder in most places. 

Didn’t introduce texts and social media posts that made her appear racist and like she had a mindset that she should or could shoot whoever she wanted? 

I mean in a penal system actually built to reform a person, 10 years may be plenty long enough. But in out penal system, we’ll be lucky if she doesn’t come right out of prison and immediately shoot the first person she sees.