New Chappelle Netflix Special is... Really Unfunny

CayceG

I decided to check the new Chappelle special on Netflix today. And WOOOO-WEE. This is NOT great. 

I'm like 12 minutes in and he's made a punchline of Anthony Bourdain's suicide, makes a joke of Michael Jackson's victims (starting with how he doesn't believe them), and now is working on a bit about R. Kelly. I don't want to come at this from a "well, I'M OFFENDED" standpoint. I'm not. I just... haven't laughed... 

Everything in the special is framed around people going after him for saying un-PC stuff and how he's probably going to offend someone with something. 

"Celebrity hunting season: Doesn't matter what I say. They're gonna get everybody eventually."

I really think Dave's lost it. I don't mean his mind or caring about saying whatever shit he wants. I mean I think he's lost the comedic core that he once had. 

Maybe the special will turn around, but this isn't really what I expected. I expected funny. 

• Guillotine 1

2 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I decided to check the new Chappelle special on Netflix today. And WOOOO-WEE. This is NOT great. 

I'm like 12 minutes in and he's made a punchline of Anthony Bourdain's suicide, makes a joke of Michael Jackson's victims (starting with how he doesn't believe them), and now is working on a bit about R. Kelly. I don't want to come at this from a "well, I'M OFFENDED" standpoint. I'm not. I just... haven't laughed... 

Everything in the special is framed around people going after him for saying un-PC stuff and how he's probably going to offend someone with something. 

"Celebrity hunting season: Doesn't matter what I say. They're gonna get everybody eventually."

I really think Dave's lost it. I don't mean his mind or caring about saying whatever shit he wants. I mean I think he's lost the comedic core that he once had. 

Maybe the special will turn around, but this isn't really what I expected. I expected funny. 

I loved his specials from a couple years ago. Maybe this is just not a good one?

Big bit on how each letter of the LGBT community thinks about each other. Then he says "what if I feel CHINEEEEESE inside!?" And then lays on a thick stereotypical Chinese accent. 

Following that, WNBA vs. NBA player skill. 

"Sorry ladies, I got a MeToo headache."

I think a specific portion of the country is going to be SUPER into this special. 

29 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Its bad because hes going the wrong way, always punch up , never down. You punch down and you look like a bully and it comes off wrong.

7 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Its bad because hes going the wrong way, always punch up , never down. You punch down and you look like a bully and it comes off wrong.

There's something to say about modifying your comedy vs. being true to yourself. 

Obviously, don't change how you do what you do because the culture wants you to. But I'm coming at this from the standpoint of pure comedy--most of the stuff I've heard in this special is either not a joke, not a funny joke, or not really how Dave has done things in the past. Buying a shotgun was a real bit that reminded me of his past great stuff. It seems almost like a thing where Dave just wants to stir shit by going out and just being offensive. 

9 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Yeah that's not what the WHOLE special is about... it's a theme for sure, but not the entire theme. He definitely is pushing boundaries... the michael Jackson Pedo stuff was cring-y... funny, but cringy.

I mean a main theme of the special is satirizing comedy that punches down, isn't it?  And sometimes he tells jokes that apply to some of his own flaws (he's not exactly the most progressive voice on LGBTQ issues lol),  making his own ignorance on those subjects the target.   I laughed at some of it, cringed sometimes too (mostly it was the intended reaction, I think). Not as good as his earlier stuff, but it was worth a watch. Rightwing haters seem to be loving it for all the wrong reasons as usual and you can't help but wonder to what extent the angrier voices on the left raging over it would find a webcomic like this to be genuinely funny or insightful:

EA6N-E0UIAAZuOO?format=jpg&name=large

EA6N-eVUcAUg945?format=jpg&name=large

Ultimately the new Chappelle seems to be making fun of insensitive humor and those who actually perpetuate it, while also poking fun at anyone who doesn't understand that's what he's trying to do.  I have a few critiques about some bits which feel are a bit hacky/antiquated to me, but for the most part I liked it.

• Thanks 1

From the few things I have seen of Dave Chappelle, I have never found him funny so I am not surprised this is also unfunny. There was some clip on reddit when the Netflix special dropped and it was just a big fat snoozer. This is just me tho, and I don't find the majority of comedians funny anyways, and I do have a stupid sense of humor.

3 hours ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

I think he stopped being funny when he got jacked. Comedians can’t be good looking and rich. 

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I wouldn't go so far to call the dude "good looking" :lol:

It's not that he's attractive now - looking swole DOES make comedians a bit less funny though.  Joe Rogan for example was never that funny, but his early days back when he was thin and scrappy were his best as a stand-up because he didn't look like an aggressive bouncer who'd break your neck with ease.  An unspoken rule of comedy: the more intimidating and powerful a guy looks, the less funny they're likely to be because the human brain can't feel comfortable enough to laugh while feeling intimidated at the same time.  

1 minute ago, fuckle85 said:

It's not that he's attractive now - looking swole DOES make comedians a bit less funny though.  Joe Rogan, for example, was never funny, but his early days back when he was thin and  scrappy were his best as a stand-up because he didn't look like an aggressive bouncer who could literally break your neck with ease.  An unspoken rule of comedy: the more intimidating and powerful a guy looks, the less funny they are likely to be because the human brain can't feel comfortable enough to laugh while feeling intimidated at the same time.  

Hmmm... I'm going to rack my brain to think of jacked comedians who were actually funny.... off the top of my head I can't think of any :p

4 hours ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

True.

Also Sticks and Stones is one of myriad comedy specials that's come out in the last few years where comedians go off about how they're "not allowed" to say stuff. They must be shocked when the checks clear and more shocked when their unspeakable material is broadcast. SHOCKED!

7 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

i missed the Q&A... I need to go back and watched that.

Yeah its like a post credits thing, need to watch them all and it pops up. He does a great job at not only explaining a bit of the act but tells some really amazing stories dating back to when he came back from his self imposed exile first hearing about Obama which is cool (also more photos at the end.)

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I wouldn't go so far to call the dude "good looking" :lol:

I mean I'd fuck him but it would be more about the money ... but I don't have a shot cuz I'm not an Asian woman so there's that! (Not hating, they're great!)

3 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I didn’t hate Chairmen of the Board

*runs and hides

I too enjoyed that flick! Also, Carrot Top is on ALL the steroids (probably where a lot of MMA fighters get theirs who get popped for USADA testing!)

• Haha 1

**EDIT** Fuck prefacing this, don't need to quantify my love, respect, and understanding for comedy.

Dave sets up the ENTIRE set he will perform in the first 10-15, exactly calls out just what WILL happen regardless and uses that as leverage to tackle just what in the actual fuck is wrong with SJW's and outrage culture as a whole. He fucking OWNS it and yet still barrels head first into ALL the controversies there are to talk about because for fuck sake, they NEED to be discussed!

The pendulum needed to swing in such a fashion where all were more equally treated, but it went so fucking far off base that too many have suffered about this. So he pokes holes at the insanity of it and helps hold up a mirror as to what the "majority" (bulk of Twitter actually) believes and shows that that isn't nor has to be the case. He expounds on how confused he himself is with his age, the things he held onto as truths and having to reconcile them and he's working them out with the crowds he puts a show on for. THAT being said, I genuinely don't believe that HE believes every single bit to be TOTALLY true, he just pokes fun in though provoking ways in which to ask questions that because far too many others are shouting one another down because "HOW DARE YOU!" have failed to bring to the table in the first place.

Can't show up to a BBQ where there's steaks, burgers, dogs yet there aren't any fucking condiments that really help season the conversation and lube them up to swallow a bit better, know what I'm saying?

He openly talked about his friends Kevin Hart and Louis CK, showed a photo of himself with Norm MacDonald, and spoke his mind about woke-culture. Anyone that complains about these points clearly aren't in Chappelle's wheelhouse of fans anyways, so who cares about them :Dunno:

The show was fine for being a Chappelle special. No bits particularly stood out here like in his previous specials (Aids monkey, crack baby in the projects, etc) - but Chappelle and his point of views in this are needed now more than ever as a voice of reason. The violence and the anger that a lot of SJW people dish out deserve to have a counter-point of laughter and lightheartedness thrown in their faces to show the world that life doesn't suck all the time - $0.02

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fuckle85 said:

It's not that he's attractive now - looking swole DOES make comedians a bit less funny though.  Joe Rogan for example was never that funny, but his early days back when he was thin and scrappy were his best as a stand-up because he didn't look like an aggressive bouncer who'd break your neck with ease.  An unspoken rule of comedy: the more intimidating and powerful a guy looks, the less funny they're likely to be because the human brain can't feel comfortable enough to laugh while feeling intimidated at the same time.  

I liked Rogan in Newsradio. That's the most I remember lol.