New Chappelle Netflix Special is... Really Unfunny

CayceG

On 9/5/2019 at 4:47 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

@sexy_shapiro I didn't know you apologized yesterday because I didn't see it and wasn't made aware of it until this morning. I accept your apology and hope you focus more on getting well and removing yourself from that unhealthy environment you're in than on what I think. Believe me I'm not worth it... no one is worth your own mental health. I refused to engage with you, as I said last week, not because you're gay, but because your mind seems to be made up about me and I really and truly do not care to change it. It has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with you being gay and everything to do with life being too short for me to be worrying about what a stranger on the internet thinks of me. I really hope for the best for you and hope you can get out of where you are as soon as you can I really do... but please, just go your way and let me go mine. I don't want to have to defend my character here... a place I really just come to to waste time when I'm not out and talk about shit that most of my real life friends don't care about. This WILL be the last time I address this here or anywhere else :peace:

Skillz, I owe you a public apology. I lost control again that night, and losing control never feels good. You deserve better. I’m currently in recovery and learning a lot about self control and taking responsibility for my actions. Please don’t take this personally. My anger towards you was misdirected because deep inside I have a lot of hatred for both myself and my parents. I struggle with finding proper ways of dealing with my emotions and for whatever reason it comes out online at times. I’m not excusing myself, however. I take full responsibility for my actions, I just don’t want you to take any of that stuff to heart. I have a lot of work to do on myself in the meantime.

I’m very lonely and this board provides me a sense community that I don’t often feel today. I want to fit in here, but unfortunately I am my own worse enemy. I feel like I’m only pushing the rest of the board away with my behavior, and that makes me sad. That has never been my end goal.

I actually think you add a lot to this board and would like if we could place this behind ourself and still engage like adults on other topics. If you don’t want to engage with me on any level after this, I understand. And don’t blame you. I have given you plenty of reason for you to want to avoid me till the end of days, and it is my own doing. From here on out I can only have control for my own amends, not how they are received. As I learned in recovery last night, I should only focus on sweeping my side of the street.

And lastly, I owe this entire board an apology for my actions. You deserve better, and I’m doing myself a disservice by not acting better. If anyone else on here is bothered by my behavior and you feel like this sweeping apology isn’t enough, you can PM me and I will apologize privately.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

Skillz, I owe you a public apology. I lost control again that night, and losing control never feels good. You deserve better. I’m currently in recovery and learning a lot about self control and taking responsibility for my actions. Please don’t take this personally. My anger towards you was misdirected because deep inside I have a lot of hatred for both myself and my parents. I struggle with finding proper ways of dealing with my emotions and for whatever reason it comes out online at times. I’m not excusing myself, however. I take full responsibility for my actions, I just don’t want you to take any of that stuff to heart. I have a lot of work to do on myself in the meantime.

I’m very lonely and this board provides me a sense community that I don’t often feel today. I want to fit in here, but unfortunately I am my own worse enemy. I feel like I’m only pushing the rest of the board away with my behavior, and that makes me sad. That has never been my end goal.

I actually think you add a lot to this board and would like if we could place this behind ourself and still engage like adults on other topics. If you don’t want to engage with me on any level after this, I understand. And don’t blame you. I have given you plenty of reason for you to want to avoid me till the end of days, and it is my own doing. From here on out I can only have control for my own amends, not how they are received. As I learned in recovery last night, I should only focus on sweeping my side of the street.

And lastly, I owe this entire board an apology for my actions. You deserve better, and I’m doing myself a disservice by not acting better. If anyone else on here is bothered by my behavior and you feel like this sweeping apology isn’t enough, you can PM me and I will apologize privately.

We're cool man... don't worry and please don't spend any more time or energy thinking about me or what I think. We're good. Just focus on getting well and getting out of the environment you're in... I have a very good friend who lives in the conservative South and it is literally killing his soul and he doesn't have the added pressure of being gay in an intolerant society. I hope you can change your situation. But we're cool man, water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned and PLEASE... don't hesitate to check me if I say anything that is insensitive or ignorant. I'm a work in progress and I'm not the most sensitive dude on the planet although I try.  

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Reputator said:

I genuinely just wanted to read what people thought about this special since I occasionally watch comedy specials on Netflix, and wow was it a lot of work wading through and finding the....like six posts related to that topic.

I don't like the direction this forum is going.

This happens often lol

I feel like I laughed a lot more during the first Dave Chappelle special a year or two ago, whenever that was. I'm just feeling pretty burned out on a lot of the topics covered in his newest show.  The part with the LGBT people in a car was when I started to mentally check out. I'll have to rewatch the last half hour or so. 

13 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

I feel like I laughed a lot more during the first Dave Chappelle special a year or two ago, whenever that was. I'm just feeling pretty burned out on a lot of the topics covered in his newest show.  The part with the LGBT people in a car was when I started to mentally check out. I'll have to rewatch the last half hour or so. 

I can see that. When the special was filmed I’m sure everything was more relevant. But now we’ve been over saturated with those news stories. 

I think his other specials did better because they either involved stories/ segments of his life from two decades ago, or recent things happening in his life. Stuff not that wasn’t talked about on CNN for a month. lol

13 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

I think that bit was a big fucking lull in an otherwise good show and I say that as someone who's also burnt out on all those topics in general. I'm not surprised at all if many people just tuned out there. Even as a layman I felt like that whole bit was noticeably half-assed in terms of writing and wit compared to the other material and even the audience seemed to take a while to bounce back from its relative boredom.