GameStop plans to renovate stores, pilot new store concepts

Pikachu

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-07-16-gamestop-plans-to-renovate-stores-pilot-new-store-concepts

GameStop has detailed its intentions to revamp its physical stores in an effort to combat slumping sales.

The US retailer has partnered with design firm R/GA to "focus on creating unique in-store experiences" that will make shopping at GameStop a more interactive experience.

While details are a little light, the firm has said it wants to introduce new ways for its customers to try games before they purchase them, as well as add other features that encourage people to visit their local branch more often.

GameStop says it will be "piloting new and streamlined physical store concepts", such as esports areas that "offer competitive sessions in home-grown e-Leagues", as well as "locations that sell strictly retro gaming software and hardware."

There's no word on how many of these stores are planned, but GameStop says it will be testing them "in a select market" -- almost certainly its home territory of the US.

GameStop has already hinted at these plans in an interview with GamesIndustry.biz, discussing the transition "from a transactional retailer into an experience-based retailer."

The retailer's Eric Bright told us a partnership with esports group Complexity Gaming has helped it design a 11,000 square foot 'Performance Centre', which features a gaming arena with special hardware, merchandise areas and a video studio.

GameStop has been suffering in recent times, posting a $673m loss in the previous fiscal year -- and the first quarterly report for the current one showed sales are continuing to decline.

The company has also recently had a management reshuffle after its COO and CFO departed after more than 20 years.

There were efforts towards the tail end of 2018 to find a buyer for the company, but GameStop gave up on this back in January.

6 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Nice try, but still not enough.

GameStop needs to close LOTS of locations and integrate tabletop gaming products to have any chance.

They do have way too many locations.  I have no less than five Gamestops withing 15 min of each each other and I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two.

GameStop doesn’t have the money for this. It won’t do anything but drain more resources and put them further in debt. Most major retailers try this when it looks like nothing else is working, and it doesn’t work. 

Within 3-6 months from these renovations being done we’re gonna year about massive store closings if not an outright filling for bankruptcy. 

• Haha 1

I agree that it doesn’t matter what they do if they don’t close some stores. There’s way too many. I think they should embrace some of the actual “nerd” culture and have people play card games there or something. They could have card and tabletop game tournaments. I don’t see any reason to go INTO their store in the first place since I don’t sell my games. 

13 hours ago, johnny said:

I agree that it doesn’t matter what they do if they don’t close some stores. There’s way too many. I think they should embrace some of the actual “nerd” culture and have people play card games there or something. They could have card and tabletop game tournaments. I don’t see any reason to go INTO their store in the first place since I don’t sell my games. 

Honestly, they probably need to partner with Games Workshop to carry GW products in some of their locations where there is no dedicated GW store or tabletop gaming store nearby.

On 7/16/2019 at 6:21 AM, SFLUFAN said:

Nice try, but still not enough.

GameStop needs to close LOTS of locations and integrate tabletop gaming products to have any chance.

On 7/16/2019 at 6:29 AM, Slug said:

They do have way too many locations.  I have no less than five Gamestops withing 15 min of each each other and I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two.

I think two of the three have since closed down but there was a while at my local mall where the EB Games had become a Planet X (owned by GameStop) and Funcoland had already been bought by GameStop, and all three were open at once. At least with different brand names it sort of made sense, I remember one of the employees telling me people would walk out of one location indignant about a price or whatever saying they'd go to one of the other two locations, unaware that they were all owned by GameStop.

14 hours ago, johnny said:

Around here there are already a couple places that cater specifically to that market, and have for a long time. It's kind of hard to imagine that the need for that kind of thing is significantly higher than the supply (around me at last), or that Gamestop could successfully grab much of that market. There's also the issue of tabletop games and local tournaments taking up a lot of physical space. The local game shops around me that do host events are much larger than any Gamestop I've ever been in.

47 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

Nobody gives a shit about trying out video games in store.  Use your branded name and focus on things people actually want a location for, like meetups for table top games and card tournaments.

Yeah, exactly - actually become a "Gamestop", a place where people "stop" in to play "games".

14 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Yeah. But I can scroll passed it and not listen to some awkward sales pitch from a squeaky voiced teenager.

Do you seriously just not know the difference between passed and past? smfh

• Guillotine 1

10 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Yeah, exactly - actually become a "Gamestop", a place where people "stop" in to play "games".

It’s amazing how dense these executives, strategists, board of directors, and consultants are.  Just kidding, I’m not surprised.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Amazatron said:

Nobody gives a shit about trying out video games in store.  Use your branded name and focus on things people actually want a location for, like meetups for table top games and card tournaments.

Well instead of just having the latest Mario game on demo or whatever they always have, what if you could go in, and ask for any game they carry, and they pop it in for you and let you play it for 20 minutes or whatever. That's probably not enough to save the company, but it's something you should be able to do when you go in. Try some games out and you'll probably walk out with a couple new games. Or new to you at least.