The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf (anime prequel film - 23 August 2021) - Official Trailer

48 minutes ago, johnny said:

Ok finished the season. I enjoyed it. It definitely has some rough points but I think they are in a good spot for season 2. Geralt stuff is really good but I really liked Yennefer’s as well. Thought Ciri had the weakest part of the story but her timeline is considerably shorter so idk. Unlike @Bacon I actually like episodes 7 and 8. They are not without problems but I do enjoy the mages. 

I’m through 5 episodes and basically agree with this sentiment.  I really enjoy Yennifer and the Mages. I think it’s pretty compelling. Ciri def has the slowest of the stories so far. Don’t agree at all that everything outside of Geralt is B tier. I mean he’s by far my favorite part of the show as HC is crushing it I don’t find the quality to dip and at no point does it lose my attention. I also really love how there’s a sense of “figure it out yourself” to the show. They don’t drop the names of the places where they are. The different time lines have fun little clues for you to follow and figure out how it all fits together instead of just telling you. Love this show. 

7 hours ago, Bacon said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I'd say that was my only real glaring issue with the show.  Episode 8 had essentially no Geralt at all.  I still enjoyed the episode, but the finale episode not really showcasing Geralt at all felt a bit off.  It didn't really detract from my overall enjoyment of the series as a whole though, and I really am looking forward to next season.  

4 hours ago, Moa said:

I'm liking the series slightly more since watching the second and third episode, but man the costumes, sets, and lighting make the show look like dogshit sometimes. The forest in the fourth episode is particularly awful.

TF are you talking about? What bar are you measuring your TV shows against?

27 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

TF are you talking about? What bar are you measuring your TV shows against?

Anything made in the last 10 years. The vast majority of the sets look empty, sterile, and contrived. Many of the props look straight up fake. Just take a look at the scenes from the skull cave, it all reminds me just a little too much of the 1982 classic The Beastmaster.

4 hours ago, Moa said:

Anything made in the last 10 years. The vast majority of the sets look empty, sterile, and contrived. Many of the props look straight up fake. Just take a look at the scenes from the skull cave, it all reminds me just a little too much of the 1982 classic The Beastmaster.

I want a Beastmaster series thanks for bringing that up -_- I seen the first episode over the weekend and I am very impressed! Happy to hear it's renewed for season 2 already and I really hope it runs longer than most Netflix series.

4 minutes ago, elbobo said:

I'm 3 episodes in and i can't imagine how indecipherable this show is for people who have not read the books or at least played the games, it is just all over the place with the plot and lore.

Just finished episode 3 and I honestly had no idea each plot was in a different time period. Only found out because I read an episode breakdown after the fact. 

16 minutes ago, elbobo said:

I'm 3 episodes in and i can't imagine how indecipherable this show is for people who have not read the books or at least played the games, it is just all over the place with the plot and lore.

My wife doesn’t know anything about it and followed it just fine without me explaining anything. The multiple timeline thing is revealed in episode 4 but there are context clues that help you figure it out in episode 1. Def not a show you can watch while you’re on your phone and expect to not miss anything.  

• Like 1

I watched the whole thing, and I liked it! Wasn't incredible, but good enough and a great jumping off point for more.

The time differences are clearly left vague at the start, but the dinner scene makes it absolutely clear what's going on, as do a number of other off-hand remarks about the time. (e.g., Jaskier/Dandelion to Geralt about them traveling together for at least a decade "what's another decade..." and Yen's comment about being in court for ~30 years).

I feel like we ought to expect our audience to be able to handle this rather than having to literally tell them everything out-right explicitly. And if we can't I don't want to make entertainment for that audience.

I'm 5 episodes in.

Weaknesses: Camera angles are a bit odd at times. The sets sometimes feel a bit too busy or something. There is a lot of information being thrown at us very quickly, so info overload (I expected this with a new universe). The staggered timeline can be somewhat confusing, but this is not Westworld season 2, at least yet. Mixed acting performances with some of the support and background characters, but not terrible.

Neutral: Tongue and cheek tone at times may or may not work for some.

Strengths: Fight scenes are badass. That scene at the end of episode 1 made sword fighting look really dangerous compared to other shows. Monster designs are cool, and I'm loving magic being everywhere and this show embracing high fantasy. A lot of the budget  shows and it looks good. The staggered timeline allows us to get backstory as we are watching the show, using time very efficiently. Most importantly, I really like all three of the main characters, especially Geralt and Yen. They are nailing their roles. The main characters are interesting and I'm anxious to learn more.

I recommend the show. I think they're finding their footing a bit in several areas, but this season will likely be seen as an introduction to the world and characters when we look back later. 

Edit: What's very clear to me is some critics are being way to fucking hard on this. This is not a 0/100 show by any stretch. 

Wife and I had a lot of down time this weekend and burned through the whole thing. It’s not the next big thing, but it’s pretty good, especially once it gets going.

We definitely agree with the prevailing sentiment that it takes a few episodes to get going. There are a lot of names, many of them odd and not clearly spoken, and many which will never be important again. The timeline is confusing for the first few episodes, and Geralt isn’t exactly the most charismatic guy from the onset. Still, we stuck with it and ended up enjoying it a lot. It’s a bit campy, a bit odd, but overall it’s a good fantasy tale. It really does feel like chapter 1 of a larger story.

I’m glad it got picked up for a second season, and it’s reinvigorated my interest in the games. I never did get through 3 and I’m compelled to give it another try.

Having played all the Witcher games, this show definitely filled in a lot of gaps of my knowledge about the characters and universe.  My main complaint about the show is the editing of the story. I think with shows like these, you want an easy season to follow so you can digest the abundant of info that inevitably gets thrown at you. The splicing made it unnecessarily confusing without any benefit.  Overall, a solid foundation is built for season 2. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Don't the books (at least the two short story anthologies) also jump around in time like this? 

They probably also make it clear when things are happening. The problem with the show is not being non-chronological but not making the chronology clear. 

40 minutes ago, Moa said:

They probably also make it clear when things are happening. The problem with the show is not being non-chronological but not making the chronology clear. 

I don't recall the books explicitly saying time jumps were happening.

1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Having played all the Witcher games, this show definitely filled in a lot of gaps of my knowledge about the characters and universe.  My main complaint about the show is the editing of the story. I think with shows like these, you want an easy season to follow so you can digest the abundant of info that inevitably gets thrown at you. The splicing made it unnecessarily confusing without any benefit.  Overall, a solid foundation is built for season 2. 

Ciri's story could have been told as whole in later episode , there really is no reason to mix it in with Geralt and Yens. GOT does a massive dump of info in the first few episodes and does it well. The characters are called by name over and over again and so are the locations they are in. It never holds your hand because it doesn't have to, each episode also provides a handy map for the realm.The Witcher introduces characters with unusual names that are short on screen time and locations are just throw aways, with the exception of Ciri's home so a lot of viewers dont feel anchored to the story. I am on episode 5 and while I do like it it feels rough at times.

2 hours ago, legend said:

Not sure I agree with that. Suddenly shifting the story to someone you haven't been following is very often frustrating and messes up momentum.

I think it would have been if you were similar with the source material, like most of the people here on D1P. But how it is done in the show makes you care about the character more. If it was done all in one EP people would be like "who da fuk is dis bich" 

28 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I think it would have been if you were similar with the source material, like most of the people here on D1P. But how it is done in the show make you care about the character more. If it was done all in one EP people would be like "who da fuk is dis bich" 

I think even for me, it might still be a bit jarring. I hate being in the middle of something and then getting completely side tracked. But yeah, it would probably be more tolerable for people like us who are familiar.