The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf (anime prequel film - 23 August 2021) - Official Trailer

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

That's not what I read in all the articles I checked, plus I've already started The Last Wish.

This is my understanding but I could be wrong as you say. The Last Wish has "The Witcher" story which started the whole thing, and has stories that take place before Sword of Destiny. Wikipedia backs this up for whatever that's worth. But anyone who is more of an expert on the books should confirm. 

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

That's not what I read in all the articles I checked, plus I've already started The Last Wish.

I read everyone says The Last Wish as well. Which was published after the original 8 books I believe? I’m halfway through Last Wish and it seems like a good introduction 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 minute ago, Mercury33 said:

I read everyone says The Last Wish as well. Which was published after the original 8 books I believe? I’m halfway through Last Wish and it seems like a good introduction 🤷🏻‍♂️

You can't go off of American release dates, but rather Polish ones, as that is closer to what the author intended. The Last Wish was published in Poland in 1993, before all the other books except Sword of Destiny, which has short stories that were written after The Last Wish's short stories but were collected sooner, hence how Sword of Destiny is "first" despite taking place chronologically second after The Last Wish.

There's a reason the show adapted The Last Wish's short stories before anything else. 

4 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Looks like he wrote Sword of Destiny first, then The Last Wish, then the novels. He did write another collection of short stories after he finished the novels, but I read they were mostly inconsequential to the main story. 

But, yeah, every recommendation is that you start with The Last Wish first. 

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Looks like he wrote Sword of Destiny first, then The Last Wish, then the novels. He did write another collection of short stories after he finished the novels, but I read they were mostly inconsequential to the main story. 

But, yeah, every recommendation is that you start with The Last Wish first. 

He didn't write Sword of Destiny first, it was collected and published first, but The Last Wish was technically written first and takes place first chronologically. Then books 3 thru 8. 

Despite my very negative initial impression, I think this show manages to be more than the sum of its parts. It's very clear that the pieces are there for the show to improve and be something truly special. Henry Cavill really makes for a fantastic Geralt.

"Fuck."

8 hours ago, Moa said:

Despite my very negative initial impression, I think this show manages to be more than the sum of its parts. It's very clear that the pieces are there for the show to improve and be something truly special. Henry Cavill really makes for a fantastic Geralt.

"Fuck."

Top 10 "fuck" of all time.  Timing was perfectly executed 

42 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I would be enjoying this series so much more if I didn't find Yennefer's character to be so very insufferable.

Whenever she's on-screen with that annoying permanent sneer on her face, I just want to turn it off.

I didn't like Yen in the games either.

I think one of my biggest problems with the show is the accent of the Nilfgaardians being identical to that of people from the Northern Kingdoms.  The language of Nilfgaard is derived from Elder Speech so its accent should sound significantly different than that of people from the North.

Because the accent sounds exactly the same, I just don't get the sense that Nilfgaard is this powerful invading foreign empire and it just seems like just another one of the Northern Kingdoms flexing its muscles.

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

I think one of my biggest problems with the show is the accent of the Nilfgaardians being identical to that of people from the Northern Kingdoms.  The language of Nilfgaard is derived from Elder Speech so its accent should sound significantly different than that of people from the North.

Because the accent sounds exactly the same, I just don't get the sense that Nilfgaard is this powerful invading foreign empire and it just seems like just another one of the Northern Kingdoms flexing its muscles.

It's kind of a rock and a hard place. The Nilfgaardian accents in the game were not great, and I feel like putting on a germanic-english hybrid accent for the show would've been distracting and bad, so I'm glad they didn't try too hard. 

Given what I know about Nilfgaard from the games, the show, and my brief wiki surfing I hope they do a good job with Ehmyr. I do think they've done a decent job of portraying Nilfgaard as ruthless and antagonistic but not necessarily evil. 

Their armor sucks though. 

13 hours ago, Moa said:

"Fuck."

5 hours ago, Firewithin said:

Top 10 "fuck" of all time.  Timing was perfectly executed 

Agreed, loved it.

7 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

I would be enjoying this series so much more if I didn't find Yennefer's character to be so very insufferable.

Whenever she's on-screen with that annoying permanent sneer on her face, I just want to turn it off.

So... what you're saying is that the actress and show runners nailed the character?

9 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I actually thought Yennefer was acted quite well - her life was complete and utter dog shit. It makes sense for her to, when finally having attained power, to be insufferable. Her transformations were visceral and well done I thought. You can tell she's been through a lot of pain.

I just don’t like how (kinda spoilers...?):

Spoiler

She usually keeps Geralt in the dark and generally treats him like a stray dog who follows her everywhere 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I just don’t like how (kinda spoilers...?):

Hide contents

She usually keeps Geralt in the dark and generally treats him like a stray dog who follows her everywhere 

Well, I mean, why shouldn't she? She's a witch, like wizards, witches in this universe tend to be full of themselves. Compared to egotist wizard Stregobor she's positively delightful. :p The fact that Geralt has the humility not to care shows how much more mature he is (which he has indicated a number of times in the show). Geralt's problem, is as always, he can't resist a beautiful woman. He WILL sleep with them. :p 

Yennefer has a lot to learn, but I'm sympathetic to her original plight. She was a slave and then mistreated growing up in an evil Hogwarts. 

39 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Well, I mean, why shouldn't she? She's a witch, like wizards, witches in this universe tend to be full of themselves. Compared to egotist wizard Stregobor she's positively delightful. :p The fact that Geralt has the humility not to care shows how much more mature he is (which he has indicated a number of times in the show). Geralt's problem, is as always, he can't resist a beautiful woman. He WILL sleep with them. :p 

Yennefer has a lot to learn, but I'm sympathetic to her original plight. She was a slave and then mistreated growing up in an evil Hogwarts. 

Counterpoint: Triss :p 

Edit: 

Spoiler

I know Triss was tricking and using him initially (in the game), but she genuinely seems to fall for him. But it’s been awhile since I played the games.

• Thanks 1

Having no familiarity with the source materials at all, "Fuck" is exactly what I said during Episode 3 when the show decided to make it obvious there is an interleaving time jump happening among the story lines.  After that turning on subtitles definitely made it easier to discern names and places, and in the end I did enjoy piecing the story together.  I just would have liked to have known to look for it from the beginning, but I can definitely see the appeal of re-watching the series now that I actually know who all these people. Can't wait for the second season, because the universe and lore have me hooked now.  I've owned the first two games for a decade, I think it might be time I actually played them.

8 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I've owned the first two games for a decade, I think it might be time I actually played them.

#DoIt

Also, buy The Witcher 3 now while it’s on sale for $12. I *think* it’s the GOTY Edition which comes with both Expansion Packs (yea, they’re old school expansion packs, I don’t like calling them DLC :p )

EDIT: Or, just skip the first two games, watch a video story summary, download a transferable save file, and go right to TW3 ;) 

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

#DoIt

Also, buy The Witcher 3 now while it’s on sale for $12. I *think* it’s the GOTY Edition which comes with both Expansion Packs (yea, they’re old school expansion packs, I don’t like calling them DLC :p )

EDIT: Or, just skip the first two games, watch a video story summary, download a transferable save file, and go right to TW3 ;) 

I doubled dipped. Played and beat Witcher 3 on my Xbox when it came out. Just rebought the Complete edition. Can’t wait to run through it again. Still going #teamyen on this play through though 

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I doubled dipped. Played and beat Witcher 3 on my Xbox when it came out. Just rebought the Complete edition. Can’t wait to run through it again. Still going #teamyen on this play through though 

I replayed the opening on XboneX yesterday because it’s on Game Pass... and the fact that CD Projekt updated the console versions to have HDR but not the PC version made me more angry than I was a few years back now that I got to play it in HDR :p 

13 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

#DoIt

I thought about just starting with the second game, because impressions of the first say the combat is janky.

How does the third one play on keyboard/mouse vs. a controller?  I could borrow it from it a friend to play on PS4, but I'm inclined to to play it maxed out on my PC especially if controller support is decidedly inferior to m/kb.

58 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I thought about just starting with the second game, because impressions of the first say the combat is janky.

How does the third one play on keyboard/mouse vs. a controller?  I could borrow it from it a friend to play on PS4, but I'm inclined to to play it maxed out on my PC especially if controller support is decidedly inferior to m/kb.

I haven’t put a ton of time into m/kb but I prefer controller

14 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

#DoIt

I kinda wanna do this. Would I be ruining the Netflix series though?

29 minutes ago, Jose said:

I kinda wanna do this. Would I be ruining the Netflix series though?

The first two games are pretty same. Geralt has amnesia so they kinda act as their own short stories. They don’t really play into the main narrative. 3 picks up where the novels leave off (so I’m told) and acts as an end to the story. 

Personally I don’t think it ruins the show. If anything it’ll give you a greater appreciation for the job Cavill is doing. I mean obviously it’ll give you a window into where all the characters end up but to me it’s just enhanced the show.