The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf (anime prequel film - 23 August 2021) - Official Trailer

8 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I thought about just starting with the second game, because impressions of the first say the combat is janky.

How does the third one play on keyboard/mouse vs. a controller?  I could borrow it from it a friend to play on PS4, but I'm inclined to to play it maxed out on my PC especially if controller support is decidedly inferior to m/kb.

TW2’s combat is super janky. I thought about it after my post and after doing so I remembered that TW2 is actually REALLY rough combat-wise, even after the devs tried to fix it. TW1 is dungeon crawler-esq, so its combat is just point and click. I kinda think you should skip right to TW3, but obviously up to you :) 

I haven’t played TW2 or 3 with mouse & keyboard, but heard it’s fine, especially for TW3. However, I really think you’re better off with a controller. You definitely want the PC version for the mods. Remove your weight limit and install the HD Reworked mod immediately.

7 hours ago, Jose said:

I kinda wanna do this. Would I be ruining the Netflix series though?

The games take place after the books and are sequels. I played the games before reading the books, it doesn’t really spoil anything besides knowing that X character isn’t going to die in the book and will make it into the game. Also, by the time the series is done on Netflix, the game is probably going to feel super outdated and too rough to play - IMO, you should just dive in to TW3, watch a video summary of the TW1 & 2, and when asked in-game select YES for simulating a Witcher 2 save, and follow the dialogue options to match the video summaries 

(TW2 spoiler)

Spoiler

Keep Letho alive, damn it

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:
Spoiler

Keep Letho alive, damn it

Yes. It is a good thing I wasn't able to use my TW2.

Also, TW1 has the best combat out of all the games because while it isn't great, it is fine enough. I enjoy it more than the combat in the other two games. 

21 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Yes. It is a good thing I wasn't able to use my TW2.

Also, TW1 has the best combat out of all the games because while it isn't great, it is fine enough. I enjoy it more than the combat in the other two games. 

Is that because it plays itself and you just hit buttons to change stance? :p 
Personally, I love TW3’s combat.

13 minutes ago, Bacon said:

HEY, you still have to click when cursor glows! But it is the best because it never got on my nerves. 

What got on your nerves with TW3? Honestly asking. Personally, I felt it similar to Dark Souls with invincibility frames when dodging and timed parrying allowing a counterattack or deflection of arrows. I was able to take on monsters way above my level (like dead in 1 or 2 hits) by timing attacks and dodges and slowly whittling down their health.  

19 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

What got on your nerves with TW3? Honestly asking. Personally, I felt it similar to Dark Souls with invincibility frames when dodging and timed parrying allowing a counterattack or deflection of arrows.

I can't remember honestly. I just remember the combat not being fun. I did both Normal and Death March but I don't recall ever having fun with the combat. There are DS similarities, but Geralt does not respond in a pleasing way to my actions. Like, DS looks silly with the constant rolling and literaly phasing thru weapons because i-frames, but those things feel great to do. And then, with TW3, there was my Quen spam. I remember the final boss being constant quen casting and sword twirling (similar this video, THE FINAL BOSS OF TW3 so big spoilers). I just didn't enjoy it that much. I plan on playing thru all of them again(all ready installed) so maybe I'll have a different opinion, but I don't think I will. 

Just now, Bacon said:

I can't remember honestly. I just remember the combat not being fun. I did both Normal and Death March but I don't recall ever having fun with the combat. There are DS similarities, but Geralt does not respond in a pleasing way to my actions. Like, DS looks silly with the constant rolling and literaly phasing thru weapons because i-frames, but those things feel great to do. And then, with TW3, there way my Quen spam. I remember the final boss being constant quen casting and sword twirling (similar this video, THE FINAL BOSS OF TW3 so big spoilers). I just didn't enjoy it that much. I plan on playing thru all of them again(all ready installed) so maybe I'll have a different opinion, but I don't think I will. 

What platform did you play on? 

Just now, Spork3245 said:

What platform did you play on? 

PS4, but I am not sure that matters. I don't think the 60fps on PC will make a difference, if that is what you are going for. I am going to play on PC this time tho as I have a PC that can play it. I did not when TW3 came out. I also plan to use a controller, as I do with all melee games. 

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

PS4, but I am not sure that matters. I don't think the 60fps on PC will make a difference, if that is what you are going for. I am going to play on PC this time tho as I have a PC that can play it. I did not when TW3 came out. I also plan to use a controller, as I do with all melee games. 

IIRC the initial release had laggy controls and there was a patch that fixed it. It came out almost immediately on PC but took forever to release on consoles. Also, the PS4 version ran below 30fps and had erratic frame timing at almost all times which, I heard, added to the input lag heavily. That could explain the issues you’re describing. BUT, if I’m incorrect, there’s a ton of combat mods that people rave about on nexusmods :santasun:

23 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

IIRC the initial release had laggy controls and there was a patch that fixed it. It came out almost immediately on PC but took forever to release on consoles. Also, the PS4 version ran below 30fps and had erratic frame timing at almost all times which, I heard, added to the input lag heavily. That could explain the issues you’re describing. BUT, if I’m incorrect, there’s a ton of combat mods that people rave about on nexusmods :santasun:

Well, I beat the game on September 6, 2015, and the earliest achievement I got was on Aug 20, which was a few months after the initial release so idk if the patches were out by then. And I played all all the Souls games on console so I really don't think that was the issue. Like, it was more how Geralt dodges and moves. It is the same with Dark Souls 2. I hate how your character controls in DS2. Can't stand it. It just feels bad to play. I have tired to replay DS2 numerous times but I get sick of how the character controls before I even make it to the first boss. TW3 is like that, but not nearly as bad. It is just how the game was made. I mean, unlike DS2, I won't have any issues replaying TW3. TW3's combat and movement isn't THAT bad. 

14 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Well, I beat the game on September 6, 2015, and the earliest achievement I got was on Aug 20, which was a few months after the initial release so idk if the patches were out by then. And I played all all the Souls games on console so I really don't think that was the issue. Like, it was more how Geralt dodges and moves. It is the same with Dark Souls 2. I hate how your character controls in DS2. Can't stand it. It just feels bad to play. I have tired to replay DS2 numerous times but I get sick of how the character controls before I even make it to the first boss. TW3 is like that, but not nearly as bad. It is just how the game was made. I mean, unlike DS2, I won't have any issues replaying TW3. TW3's combat and movement isn't THAT bad. 

The patch took almost 6 months to come out iirc, possibly longer for PS4 as I remember people saying it was nearly broken in regards to fps and frame timing and CD Projekt basically going 🤷‍♂️ for awhile (possibly until the expansions came out? I know the Xbone version was fixed sooner and ran better than the PS4 version). You can’t really compare it to DS games on console vs this on console as it’s different devs, a different engine, and DS games didn’t have the frame timing issues that TW3 did on PS4. The way Geralt moved/controlled was, again, iirc, the main issue that was patched.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

The patch took almost 6 months to come out iirc, possibly longer for PS4 as I remember people saying it was nearly broken in regards to fps and frame timing and CD Projekt basically going 🤷‍♂️ for awhile (possibly until the expansions came out?). You can’t really compare it to DS games on console vs this on console as it’s different devs, a different engine, and DS games didn’t have the frame timing issues that TW3 did on PS4. The way Geralt moved/controlled was, again, iirc, the issue that was patched.

Well, then, I hope you are right. That means I get something new out of a game I already beat. 

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Well, then, I hope you are right. That means I get something new out of a game I already beat. 

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/699808-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/71845154#1

I think this is what was fixed via patch, it was worse on PS4 due to the fps and frame timing issues (which, upon just checking, wasn’t fixed for PS4 until August of 2018 :| )

But look into the available mods regardless, especially the HD Reworked mod that makes the textures WAY better. :) 

I finished episode 5 yesterday and will watch the rest of the season over the new year holiday. I'm really enjoying it! The sword fights are fantastic! In particular the last sword fight in episode 1. Very original and creative. Henry Cavill is amazing in the role of Geralt and I really like Yennifer. I think the actress portraying her is doing really well too.

My only real gripe is the timeline thing. I have no problem with them jumping around but I wish they made it a bit more obvious from the characters look. Geralt looks exactly the same. Fine, he's a Witcher who lives longer. But the bard is the same after a decade. The Queen and King look EXACTLY the same before/after a decade. If they had at least done a little something more to visually differentiate them aging or something, it would have been easier for me to follow. But according to previous posts, I'm apparently an idiot for not getting it easily. :p The Yennifer timeline makes it easier because you see the changes in her. Outside of the obvious verbal cues. Westworld did a good job about this imo.

I feel the story is coming together and I'm excited to see the rest of the season! :D

And can I get an amen for all the hairy chest appreciation in this series? <3

I saw some of this conversation on Twitter, and I can't help but agree that this series would have benefited from a week to week release schedule. I personally enjoy binging through a show, so I won't necessarily advocate for Netflix to change their model, but I do think that this show could have generated more conversation and buzz if people were waiting for a new episode every week. I think that model works really well for HBO, and it's been keeping baby Yoda memes going for a while. It's kind of hard to imagine any Netflix show getting GoT like conversation when released all at once.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

I saw some of this conversation on Twitter, and I can't help but agree that this series would have benefited from a week to week release schedule. I personally enjoy binging through a show, so I won't necessarily advocate for Netflix to change their model, but I do think that this show could have generated more conversation and buzz if people were waiting for a new episode every week. I think that model works really well for HBO, and it's been keeping baby Yoda memes going for a while. It's kind of hard to imagine any Netflix show getting GoT like conversation when released all at once.

“Netflix buzz” is a bit different, it seems to build over months instead of weeks. Bojack Horseman and Stranger Things are great examples of this :) 

I’m very hopeful this gets the attention it deserves, and that we get 5-6 seasons :daydream:

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

I'd be down to see experimentation in a release schedule.  How about 3 episodes every two weeks? That's like a movie's length of content spaced out.  People can go on mini binges. Or they could release full blown movie-like trilogy over the course of a year.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

“Netflix buzz” is a bit different, it seems to build over months instead of weeks. Bojack Horseman and Stranger Things are great examples of this :) 

I’m very hopeful this gets the attention it deserves, and that we get 5-6 seasons :daydream:

I think that just comes down to people still talking about good shows, but I would still argue that the conversation surrounding those shows is very different given their release strategy. Stranger Things might actually be the best example. If it was a weekly show, there would be tons of conversations dissecting each episode, theorizing, and building anticipation for the next. It's a popular show, so those kinds of conversations happen between seasons, but I think conversation is hampered because all the questions a season will answer are available day one.

Again, I prefer the viewing experience of the way Netflix does it, and as long as a show like this finds an audience to Netflix's satisfaction, I'm good. I just think that some of these shows succeed despite Netflix's model, not because of it.

I'm also aware that my experience of discussing shows online, seeing threads on twitter or visiting a subreddit, puts me in a minority. So it's quite likely that what I perceive as buzz has no real impact on any metric that Netflix would consider when renewing the show. So it's mostly a battle between how I want to discuss a show and how I want to watch it.

I'm all for weekly episodes and I think I said as much when this series was first announced. I don't have the time to binge a series like this so there's absolutely no ongoing discussion for me. I also think there's something to be said about a series being event material. If Netflix really wants to have their own GoT that becomes a serious cultural phenomenon, they'd have to do some experimenting here. Whole series at once just isn't going to generate ongoing conversation with the majority of folks.

• Guillotine 1

8 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I'm all for weekly episodes and I think I said as much when this series was first announced. I don't have the time to binge a series like this so there's absolutely no ongoing discussion for me. I also think there's something to be said about a series being event material. If Netflix really wants to have their own GoT that becomes a serious cultural phenomenon, they'd have to do some experimenting here. Whole series at once just isn't going to generate ongoing conversation with the majority of folks.

Fuck conversation. 

• Guillotine 1

18 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I think that just comes down to people still talking about good shows, but I would still argue that the conversation surrounding those shows is very different given their release strategy. Stranger Things might actually be the best example. If it was a weekly show, there would be tons of conversations dissecting each episode, theorizing, and building anticipation for the next. It's a popular show, so those kinds of conversations happen between seasons, but I think conversation is hampered because all the questions a season will answer are available day one.

Just want to say that I say this in basically every thread about a show.

I just finished the season yesterday so I haven't even been in here since I gave my impressions on the first ep because I didn't want to be spoiled.

I haven't been in the Expanse thread for that same reason.

Weekly releases allow people more time to catch up and participate in the convo. The zeitgeist and culture in a weekly release is much more fun and inclusive.

• Guillotine 1

I tend to have Bacon's approach, but merely because I binge watch. I didn't touch Mandalorian or Watchmen because I don't want to pay a monthly subscription for one show. I'll wait until the season is done, buy a monthly sub or free trial, and watch the show. In some cases I won't even touch the first few seasons, I didn't start watching Game of Thrones until Season 7 was starting and caught up by the time S8 was out.

Weekly releases are fun. I love getting together with some friends watching the show and talking about it right after and talk with people at work about it. I don't know if I'd say I prefer it, sitting down all weekend to watch Stranger Things or Dark was great, but it would be a lot easier if I wasn't paying $5 here and another $7 there.

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Again, I prefer the viewing experience of the way Netflix does it, and as long as a show like this finds an audience to Netflix's satisfaction, I'm good. I just think that some of these shows succeed despite Netflix's model, not because of it.

I'm also aware that my experience of discussing shows online, seeing threads on twitter or visiting a subreddit, puts me in a minority. So it's quite likely that what I perceive as buzz has no real impact on any metric that Netflix would consider when renewing the show. So it's mostly a battle between how I want to discuss a show and how I want to watch it.

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I'd argue that many shows improve greatly without the wait between episodes. How I Met Your Mother's final season is a great example of this: when it was new... it was a very weak season. Rewatching the series a year or so back, the final season felt much improved, and it was because there was no week+ wait between episodes (I mean, the ending was still garbage, though, of course :p ). I do not think The Witcher is a show that would have benefited from a weekly release schedule, if anything, I think it may have even been detrimental to its viewership with people not making it to the final ep.

I’m torn. I see both sides of it. I do enjoy how much time something like GoT was a thing. The Monday morning “holy shit did you see that!?!” Conversations. The theory’s and debates are fun. I mean look at the size of the Mandalorian thread vs this one. 

That being said. I also fucking LOVE crushing a season in one weekend. Seeing all of the episodes so close together has a “this is the way it’s meant to be seen” feeling.

So I’m no help. I love both haha. Just give me great shows.