The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Sequel - Official Announcement Trailer, update - game is "darker" than Majora's Mask but unrelated to it, team drew inspiration from RDR2

Breath of the Wild sequel will be "a little bit darker" than Majora's Mask but unrelated to it (IGN)

During an interview at the Nintendo booth with IGN, Director and Producer of the Zelda Series, Eiji Aonuma, confirmed that the sequel will not in fact be related to Majora's Mask, despite the darker tone.

Breath of the Wild sequel team drew inspiration from Red Dead Redemption 2 (IGN)

Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma revealed this information in an interview with IGN. When asked what games the younger staff on the Zelda team were playing, specifically what inspired them, Aonuma replied “[Something] I did hear that a lot of people were playing was Red Dead Redemption 2."

I'd guessed this is what was going to happen from Breath of the Wild's launch and have been saying that criticism for the game was important for a potential follow-up using the same engine. I don't care about story or structure very much, but I'd really like a weapon and combat system that didn't require so much pausing mid-combat (Weapons breaking didn't bother me, pausing to change them did, as well as pausing to eat piles and piles of food with no cooldown or fullness meter to limit combat healing) -- that and making rewards more unpredictable. Shrines very quickly lost their luster for me because you knew exactly what was in almost every single shrine before you ever stepped foot into it, which DRAMATICALLY reduced the sense of discovery for me. Especially for things like finding the little wells of power/courage/wisdom and the shrines there having nothing special in them.

While I enjoy having a nice wide variety of tools from the outset, I think for me personally, finding a new tool or mechanic is way more exciting than any health or stamina upgrade. Which is to say one is actually exciting to me, and the other is not at all. I just finished up SteamWorld Dig 2, and finding those little upgrade stations always got me hyped. Same with the little upgrade stations in the Mega Man X games. Stumbling upon a badass upgrade is just the coolest shit. Finding it in a structured dungeon is fine, but far less exciting to me. At the very least put cool upgrades for existing tools in whatever the shrine equivalent will be! And add some tileset variety!

9 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

I really liked Breath of the Wild, like most people, but it would be nice to have a more structured approach and story for a sequel. Although as mentioned, I would prefer a 'sequel' which uses the engine and location, but isn't an exact follow on.

Not me, I want a literal sequel. 

10 hours ago, vaxick said:

Hope the weapons won't break as easily this time around. 

No. 

9 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

I really liked Breath of the Wild, like most people, but it would be nice to have a more structured approach and story for a sequel. Although as mentioned, I would prefer a 'sequel' which uses the engine and location, but isn't an exact follow on.

No. 

Make a few QOL improvements (let me batch craft recipes), allow more dynamic weapon switching without having to interrupt combat with pausing, and that would address 85% of my “issues” with BotW. Making the rewards for shrines a bit more dynamic would address the remaining 15%. 

Weapon breaking would make a lot more sense if the combat system really benefited from the variety it forced, but it doesn't. All of the depth and complexity in the combat system comes from the way you can use the slate and/or manipulate the environment, not from whether you use a polearm or a sword.

2 minutes ago, Rodimus said:

hmm I'm curious to see what their take away was from RDR2.

They've let a brain-damaged panda with rabies and amputated arms redesign their control scheme and then pulled Sergio Leone's corpse out of his grave, made a pack of wild dogs rape it, had a voodoo priest resurrect him like Weekend At Bernie's 2 and then forced him to write 872938479387 hours of cutscenes that trigger every single time you think you're about to actually play. 

RDR2 is shit. The story and characters are fucking great. The part that is a game, you know the video game part, is fucking shit. Complete fucking dog shit. Shooting is awful. You either lock on with the aim of a god, or if you turn it off, you have some of the worst console aiming ever. The movement on both horse and foot sucks donkey dick. The horse should be a vehicle, not some stupid fucking beast you need to take care of. The survival shit and camping is pointless. The camp your gang lives in is pointless was well. No reason to ever donate or give funds. You only need to buy this worlds shittiest fast travel. Hunting and gathering is also next level time wasting. At least in BOTW the upgrades you applied to your armor are actually very fucking OP. What makes shit even worse, in RDR2, after you beat the game, you can just buy shit you previously needed to craft to obtain. Proving that it is nothing but pointless time waster. 

Only an idiot would actually think the game part of RDR2 was good. 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Bacon said:

RDR2 is shit. The story and characters are fucking great. The part that is a game, you know the video game part, is fucking shit. Complete fucking dog shit. Shooting is awful. You either lock on with the aim of a god, or if you turn it off, you have some of the worse console aiming ever. The movement on both horse and foot sucks donkey dick. The horse should be a vehicle, not some stupid fucking beast you need to take care of. The survival shit and camping is pointless. The camp your gang lives in is pointless was well. No reason to ever donate or give funds. You only need to buy this worlds shittiest fast travel. Hunting and gathering is also next level time wasting. At least in BOTW the upgrades you applied to your armor are actually very fucking OP. What makes shit even worse, in RDR2, after you beat the game, you can just buy shit you previously needed to craft to obtain. Proving that it is nothing but pointless time waster. 

Only an idiot would actually think the game part of RDR2 was good. 

So what you're saying is you'd heartily recommend RDR2? 

4 hours ago, Rodimus said:

hmm I'm curious to see what their take away was from RDR2.

I'm guessing/hoping that they learned that it's possible to have a deeper narrative in an open world game. I don't think there are any mechanics they're actually looking to take away. More than likely, we're looking at methods to tell a cohesive story in an open/go anywhere world.

I played the first one for a couple of hours. I got to that icy mountain you had to eat the chilis to stay warm, and then got that last tower in the area and left the area and then never played again.

I guess people like it because it's a Hyrule sandbox game and nothing else but it wasn't much to keep my attention. The best weapon was unlimited bombs.