The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

I’m back home from the protest. I’m safe. I promptly left after the march so I didn’t linger around afterwards (which is when these things typically go south) but everything I saw was completely peaceful and respectful. People of all ages and races, marching together under a single cause. We marched by churches who passed out water bottles and snacks in support. It was such a beautiful, cathartic, and powerful experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Can't wait for the NYT article Would rounding up the Jews be so bad? America is ready.

9 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

To state the obvious, if NYT published, say, an "Abolish all Prisons" op-ed in the name of open debate, David Brooks would have an aneurysm.

24 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

I think it's actually a sign of progress that Brees's comments today stand out so much from almost anyone else, since we're only a few years after the Kaepernick protests, and at the time Brees's position was obviously basically the official position of the league to the point where Kaepernick was de-facto banned.

Drew Brees has been on the receiving end of a 15 year long blowjob from the NFL, the media, and the general public for his response to Katrina. I am 100% sure he's absolutely dumbstruck by the notion that the nation didn't seamlessly transition to eating his ass for repping for the flag. What a fucking moron, this guy.

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Drew Brees has been on the receiving end of a 15 year long blowjob from the NFL, the media, and the general public for his response to Katrina. I am 100% sure he's absolutely dumbstruck by the notion that the nation didn't seamlessly transition to eating his ass for repping for the flag. What a fucking moron, this guy.

I've had this dislike of Brees for awhile, and it's based on how he was scammed on a deal over diamonds. This might be a weird reason, so bear with. Brees entered in to some deal with a jeweler over diamonds, and got scammed. It wasn't talked about a ton, he was the victim, whatever.  But, I think the way the media talks about him and this incident shows the double-standard of how black and white quarterbacks are treated. Now imagine if Cam Newton had gotten scammed in a deal over diamonds. Imagine the Clay Travises, the Colin Cowherds, and all the other shitty tv talking heads. They would be absolutely raking him over the coals: "Cam was a sucker! How can his teammates trust him in a huddle?" or "You know, sometimes these players, they come from bad neighborhoods...you know the kind (pause for dog whistle), and sometimes they bring friends with them from the hood. Is it one of his friends from the hood who took advantage of him??" or "Why is Cam wasting his time on diamonds? Bling bling?? I want him to worry about getting a ring! Super Bowl ring that is!" and on and on. But good Christian honest Drew Brees? Why, that poor guy was scammed by some evil parasite. I don't know. It just never sat right with me. Plus Brees runs a super-shady pyramid scheme selling bogus supplements. Mina Kimes had a long article about it a few years ago. Long story short, fuck Brees.

5 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

I've had this dislike of Brees for awhile, and it's based on how he was scammed on a deal over diamonds. This might be a weird reason, so bear with. Brees entered in to some deal with a jeweler over diamonds, and got scammed. It wasn't talked about a ton, he was the victim, whatever.  But, I think the way the media talks about him and this incident shows the double-standard of how black and white quarterbacks are treated. Now imagine if Cam Newton had gotten scammed in a deal over diamonds. Imagine the Clay Travises, the Colin Cowherds, and all the other shitty tv talking heads. They would be absolutely raking him over the coals: "Cam was a sucker! How can his teammates trust him in a huddle?" or "You know, sometimes these players, they come from bad neighborhoods...you know the kind (pause for dog whistle), and sometimes they bring friends with them from the hood. Is it one of his friends from the hood who took advantage of him??" or "Why is Cam wasting his time on diamonds? Bling bling?? I want him to worry about getting a ring! Super Bowl ring that is!" and on and on. But good Christian honest Drew Brees? Why, that poor guy was scammed by some evil parasite. I don't know. It just never sat right with me. Plus Brees runs a super-shady pyramid scheme selling bogus supplements. Mina Kimes had a long article about it a few years ago. Long story short, fuck Brees.

Yeah.

I mean this is nothing new, the way athletes are discussed often uses racially coded language. Unsurprisingly white athletes get to play with house money,. How often do we hear about how smart Tom Brady is? Motherfucker thinks he doesn't get sunburn because he stays hydrated, Jesus Christ.

And Drew Brees... you don't wanna spend a second of your time thinking about why Kaepernick was kneeling in real time? I mean he straight up said why, but... whatever, fine. As a white dude I know I've done the equivalent of that before, I know rocks I'm throwing here are getting launched out of a glass house. But NOW? Draping yourself in your grandparents' valor and STILL thinking this is about disrespecting the flag? Fuck that shit.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yup... It's really silly considering how political and ANTI-FACIST Star Wars is.

‘Star Wars’ Has Always Been Anti-Authoritarian and Is Social Commentary that Is More Than Relevant Today

Star Wars has always been anti-war and anti-imperialism, in addition to the aforementioned themes. Sure, it has “war” in the title, but it has always been for the smaller powers. It focused more on how their heroes can achieve peace within a wartorn society. The Empire is a parasitic dictatorship; how can these rebels dismantle that huge power structure? 

During the interview for AMC, Lucas said that America “never got it.” He continued: “We never said, ‘Wait this isn’t the right thing to do.’ And we’re still struggling with it.”