The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Not saying it didn't happen because I don't know everything, but do you have a source for this because I can't find any info on this and Trump HATES Bob Iger, who was a HUGE Hillary Supporter and was contemplating running for President himself.  

Well, not the company itself but it's exec leadership.

https://www.out.com/news/2019/8/09/marvels-chairman-also-donald-trumps-largest-donor

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jason said:

...about the Sony tweet???

wtf, no? About the old man being shoved.

I don't know which part was the worst. Him being shoved and bleeding as soon as his head hit the pavement or the one cop starting to bend down to assist and his colleague yanking him back up and the rest walking past or the fact the fucking department put out a statement, saying the guy tripped and fell.

Again, I'm not going to say all cops are bad, because I know good ones. If more cops were like them, then the system wouldn't be so rotten. But fuck this system we have now and fuck the bad ones in it.

8 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Again, I'm not going to say all cops are bad, because I know good ones. If more cops were like them, then the system would be so rotten. But fuck this system we have now and fuck the bad ones in it.

If the "good" cops you know lack the moral courage to root out the "bad" cops they know, then they're not "good" cops.

2 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

It cannot be repeated enough!

Fair enough.

I know a guy who patrols the north side of the metro I live in. He's nationally known for his work with the black community in his area and he's spoken up now and he's spoken before this. He's just a patrol guy, but if more were like him, then it wouldn't be so bad.

On the other hand, my aunt's ex-husband is a state trooper. Dunno what he's like on the job, but I remember him being nothing more than an arrogant prick personally, so I wouldn't have much faith if I ever saw him a work.

20 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

If the "good" cops you know lack the moral courage to root out the "bad" cops they know, then they're not "good" cops.

Are Mounties appreciably better than the typical American cop? Because I posted something yesterday where I wasn't prepared for the fact that it immediately sett off an argument with a friend of mine who's a Mountie. I honestly just wasn't sure if it was something where Canadian cops suffer from the same ACAB syndrome, or if as a Mountie he just couldn't appreciate just how bad American cops are.

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

Are Mounties appreciably better than the typical American cop? Because I posted something yesterday where I wasn't prepared for the fact that it immediately sett off an argument with a friend of mine who's a Mountie. I honestly just wasn't sure if it was something where Canadian cops suffer from the same ACAB syndrome, or if as a Mountie he just couldn't appreciate just how bad American cops are.

No bloody idea!

33 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

The reaction to the Buffalo video that I'm seeing feels like a turning point in this where police forces are going to have to actually try and de-escalate things. It ain't just the people with DSA rose emojis that are upset with this one.

Elderly white man. While the video is horrific, it's just not different than many others we're seeing. Let's not even talk about David McAtee. No matter. I'll take change however it comes, but we'll see if anything really does happen.

26 minutes ago, Jason said:

I think you can always trust a Mountie to....do right by people.

csi miami GIF

Spoiler

Dudley_Do-Right.jpg

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Elderly white man. While the video is horrific, it's just not different than many others we're seeing. Let's not even talk about David McAtee. No matter. I'll take change however it comes, but we'll see if anything really does happen.

I'm just really bothered that it was an elderly man.

This week, I had a patient in her 90s who kicked me in the stomach and while I was squatted next to her bed, trying to silence the alarm, she lashed out at my face, catching my eye with her nails, knocking my glasses askew, and made me fall on my ass. She tried to hit me every time we attempted to do anything with her. Was I angry? Yeah. But, I also took care not to hurt her while I was restraining her, because she was old and her bones felt like they'd snap if I put much pressure on them at all.

Like, if I'd physically retaliated against any patient who disrespected me or physically assaulted me, my career would have ended 10 years ago, when it had just begun. Medical staff deal with difficult and potentially dangerous people on a daily basis. We can't beat the shit out of them.

27 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

No bloody idea!

22 minutes ago, Jason said:

RCMP are corrupt, racist, and misogynistic. They are effectively the provincial police forces in the provinces too small to manage their own, and they have a long history of abuse of power.

City police in Canada are definitely better than the RCMP, but of course it will depend on the city. I believe most major cities require some form of university degree to become a police officer (perhaps 2 or 3 years instead of 4, in police studies). Having said that, while I'd rate most Canadian police departments over most American departments, I will still say they are all racist institutions and shouldn't be trusted.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

RCMP are corrupt, racist, and misogynistic. They are effectively the provincial police forces in the provinces too small to manage their own, and they have a long history of abuse of power.

City police in Canada are definitely better than the RCMP, but of course it will depend on the city. I believe most major cities require some form of university degree to become a police officer (perhaps 2 or 3 years instead of 4, in police studies). Having said that, while I'd rate most Canadian police departments over most American departments, I will still say they are all racist institutions and shouldn't be trusted.

So odds are my friend is actually a fucking dickhead. Awesome. :/

• Sad 1

And for the record the comment that got the reaction was, basically, "the city keeps announcing 2 PM curfews ~30 minutes before they go into effect and it seems like the goal is to give the cops an excuse to do shit." I could get the rolling his eyes reaction if Mounties would legitimately just not do that, but it's really hard to not feel like that wasn't what the cops were doing when they just stood by while looting happened here on Sunday.

45 minutes ago, Jason said:

The Mounties are our federal police (so our version of your FBI I guess), and if I've heard correctly, were founded as a way to, shall we say, "deal", with Aboriginal Canadians. Just last year they came under heavy criticism after invading a First Nation's reservation, which is its own sovereign land, to arrest residents for protesting against a pipeline. Canada has a long history of mistreatment of our First Nations people by law enforcement. 

7 minutes ago, Brick said:

The Mounties are our federal police (so our version of your FBI I guess), and if I've heard correctly, were founded as a way to, shall we say, "deal", with Aboriginal Canadians. Just last year they came under heavy criticism after invading a First Nation's reservation, which is its own sovereign land, to arrest residents for protesting against a pipeline. Canada has a long history of mistreatment of our First Nations people by law enforcement. 

From listening to my friend talk about his job, I'd gotten the impression that the Mounties were more of a California Highway Patrol--i.e., a police force that didn't have to worry about someone making it to the city/county/provincial line, because they had national jurisdiction. I know he's told be about being subject to reassignment across the country, which I know is where I got at least part of the impression.

Kind of shit they're really just the Canadian brownshirts. :/

Earlier in the thread @Emperor Diocletian II posted how he looked up that it only takes 20 weeks of training to become a police officer in his town of Alexandria, so that just got me thinking how much training it takes to become a police officer in Minneapolis, the city where George Floyd was killed by a cop.

Using their website (http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/police/recruiting/reqs/index.htm), if I'm reading everything correctly it, it looks like you would need to complete a 14-16 week course, and then you are an officer rank, and are then entered into a 6 month field training program where you work one on one a training officer, after which you will be assigned your own area to patrol. To become a recruit police officer you must have completed a two or four year Law Enforcement or Criminal Justice Degree through a Professional Peace Officer Education Program. Not sure if this is a state thing, where you study the broad aspects of becoming a police officer for two to four years, before then taking the Minneapolis' police academy for those 14-16 weeks to learn the specifics of how the city's police force is run. 

So, if I'm correct, it takes 2-4 years, plus 14-16 weeks, then another 6 months of training to become a police officer in Minneapolis, and these four pieces of shit officers didn't know it's a bad idea to press your knee into the back of a guy's neck over a non violent incident?! Fuck these garbage wastes of flesh, and throw their incompetent, racist assess in prison! Chauvin knew exactly what he was doing. 

5 hours ago, sexy_shapiro said:

I can’t speak for Disney but Perlmutter is a HUGE Trump supporter.

https://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog/marvel-ike-perlmutter/

Just read this... so Perlmutter is chairman of the comic book, licensing and videogame division of Marvel (not Marvel Studios which is separate)

While Marvel Entertainment and Marvel Studios are both subsidiaries of Disney, each is an independent entity responsible for different portions of the empire and with its own executives. Marvel Studios is the operation most associated with the recent blockbuster film franchises; Marvel Entertainment controls licensing deals, comic books, video games, and certain film projects.

which for me is even worse because I actually love the comics more than the movies. Oh well... guess I'll be saving a ton of money a month now. Thanks for the info because I did NOT know this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/06/myles-garrett-offers-to-take-care-of-anything-for-the-family-of-chef-david-mcatee-killed-by-police-during-a-protest.html%3foutputType=amp

Myles Garrett has offered to the help the family of slain BBQ chef David McAtee, who was shot and killed by law enforcement officers early Monday morning during a protest in Louisville, Ky. over the death of George Floyd.11