The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/03/us/david-dorn-st-louis-police-shot-trnd/index.html

It's sad how some things get lost in the shuffle of it all. This man was apparently a great guy and a true friend of the community. I did not know him, but one of my good friends, who is a st Louis city police officer is really broken up by his senseless death. He knew him well and worked with him for decades. He had so much respect for this man and is very broken up by his death.

And his death is not making the news. It's very sad.

12 minutes ago, ort said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/03/us/david-dorn-st-louis-police-shot-trnd/index.html

It's sad how some things get lost in the shuffle of it all. This man was apparently a great guy and a true friend of the community. I did not know him, but one of my good friends, who is a st Louis city police officer is really broken up by his senseless death. He knew him well and worked with him for decades. He had so much respect for this man and is very broken up by his death.

And his death is not making the news. It's very sad.

This is awful... I watched that video as he laid there dying and all I could think about was my father who just retired from the job last year and has done security when he was off duty. it's possible to hate the system but still allow for the humanity of police officers. But I know nuance is not in great supply these days... you're either on one side or the other. Either you're "Pro Law Enforcement" or you're in the ACAB camp (an acronym that the Anti-Defamation League associates with racist skinheads)... I don't know what the solution is but this shit is crazy.

I just had to have "The Talk" with my 15 year old nephew about what to do if and when he's ever confronted by police... I literally had that conversation five minutes before I typed this. It was NOT an easy conversation for ME to have. 

• Sad 3

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I just saw on the news that these guys may be corrections officer from Texas. Let that sink in for a second. PRISON GUARDS :| @Emperor Diocletian II is this because surrounding Police Departments have pulled their officers like you talked about the other day?

To the best of my knowledge, only Arlington County pulled their police, but I know that the City of Alexandria (where I live) didn't deploy any police to DC (don't know if they were asked).  Also, the governor of VA refused a request from the Federal government to deploy the VA National Guard to DC.

I don't know whether any Maryland jurisdictions deployed their police to DC.

Just now, Emperor Diocletian II said:

To the best of my knowledge, only Arlington County pulled their police, but I know that the City of Alexandria (where I live) didn't deploy any police to DC (don't know if they were asked).  Also, the governor of VA refused a request from the Federal government to deploy the VA National Guard to DC.

I don't know whether any Maryland jurisdictions deployed their police to DC.

So is it possible that local jurisdictions aren't cooperating so the White House is short handed on muscle? Could this lead to them employing Mercs? Devos' brother IS the former head of Blackwater :thinking:

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So is it possible that local jurisdictions aren't cooperating so the White House is short handed on muscle? Could this lead to them employing Mercs? Devos' brother IS the former head of Blackwater :thinking:

Well...that is VERY much looking a real possibility now:

@PaladinSolo - looks like you made the right call yesterday.

• Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Not only the White House, but at least Arlington is reviewing its mutual assistance agreement with the DC Metropolitan Police Department as well.

Atlanta police chief says charges against officers are political

Police Chief Erika Shields told Atlanta police officers Monday that her firing of two cops involved in an excessive force arrest during Saturday night’s protests was justified, but said criminal charges filed against them by Fulton District Attorney Paul Howard was “a tsunami of political jockeying during an election year.

Just as a reminder: Shields has been lauded in the last several days for engaging with the protesters and "hearing" their concerns, etc.

And yet -- when push came to shove (Yes, use of this particular idiom is FULLY intended! ) -- she is claiming a "political motivation" behind the charges against officers in her department who were caught on camera tearing a young African-American couple from their car while a car of white people just ahead of them went untouched.

And to the best of my knowledge, the only officers that were fired from that incident are still the two African-Americans.  The rest remain assigned to desk duty.

1 hour ago, MarSolo said:

I’m shocked Fox News took a week to do the “he might have been sex trafficking so the cops killed him” bit.

So what Chauvin is a dirty criminal cop who is protecting a sex-trafficing business and is trying to silence people? Sounds like first degree murder to me. Intent and premeditation.

6 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

So what Chauvin is a dirty criminal cop who is protecting a sex-trafficing business and is trying to silence people? Sounds like first degree murder to me. Intent and premeditation.

This is a not-so-thinly-veiled attempt to discredit the entire protest movement by insinuating that this was a premediated murder and NOT the result of racist police brutality.  In other words, if it does turn out to be premeditated, then those protesters really have no "good" reason to be out in the streets in the first place which would bring glee to the degenerates of that  network and  its viewership.

Of course, this completely ignores the meta-context: that a white cop could get away with the premediated murder of a black man because other white cops have gotten away with the un-premediated murders of other black men.

How Much Do We Need The Police?  An interview with the author of "The End of Policing" (NPR)

Obviously, a big part of what is on people's minds right now is the role that police have in dealing with protesters, dealing with different types of political unrest. In your book, you talk a lot about the history of how police have been used to quell social unrest. Can you talk about that history a little bit?

Well, I think that one of the myths we have about policing is that it is politically neutral, and that it is always here to sort of create order in a way that benefits everyone. But the reality is that America's social order has never been entirely equitable. We have a long history of exploitation of the Indigenous population, of African Americans through slavery, Jim Crow and today.

And while we're not using police to manage slavery or colonialism today, we are using police to manage the problems that our very unequal system has produced. We're invested in this kind of austerity politics that says the government can't afford to really do anything to lift people up. We have to put all our resources into subsidizing the already most successful parts of the economy. But those parts of the economy are producing this huge group of people who are homeless, unemployed, have untreated mental health and substance abuse problems. And then we ask the police to put a lid on those problems — to manage them so they don't interfere with the "order" that we're supposedly all benefiting from.

But if you're one of those poor people, one of those folks with a mental health problem, someone who's involved in black market activities to survive, then you experience this as constant criminalization.

34 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Philly decided that on top of getting rid of the Rizzo statue, they’re getting rid of the mural in the Italian Market.

I decided to make some improvements.

We need a Gritty reaction when COVID passes.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Honestly I think that's what this thread should be changed to since most of the posters in here don't "exist while black" and a lot of the sentiments in here aren't coming from a black perspective but that's just me...

The thread title doesn’t refer to the posters here being black but minorities being oppressed as far as changing the thread name we already have a police thread called “heroism and something another”

1 hour ago, MarSolo said:

Philly decided that on top of getting rid of the Rizzo statue, they’re getting rid of the mural in the Italian Market.

I decided to make some improvements.

I just realized we have seen Elmo in the streets...where the fuck has gritty been.  He was a revolution ally

I had CNN on in the background and it looked like the National Guard was on scene in Washington in formation.  I feel bad for these NG members.  Not only were they at a protest that they didn't want to be at, the police stuck them IN FRONT of the officers - getting yelled at by protesters just inches away from their own faces.  

I can understand having the NG there, but they should be backup for the police, not the front line.  The police are using them as human shields so they police don't have to be confronted.  

41 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The thread title doesn’t refer to the posters here being black but minorities being oppressed as far as changing the thread name we already have a police thread called “heroism and something another”

I know that because I post here... an outsider coming across this on the web may not make that realization at first glance. 

I think it's actually a sign of progress that Brees's comments today stand out so much from almost anyone else, since we're only a few years after the Kaepernick protests, and at the time Brees's position was obviously basically the official position of the league to the point where Kaepernick was de-facto banned.

3 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

I think it's actually a sign of progress that Brees's comments today stand out so much from almost anyone else, since we're only a few years after the Kaepernick protests, and at the time Brees's position was obviously basically the official position of the league to the point where Kaepernick was de-facto banned.

In contrast to Brees, we have Aaron Rodgers:

EZnguMSWkAck4rO?format=jpg&name=large