The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

7 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Elderly white man. While the video is horrific, it's just not different than many others we're seeing. Let's not even talk about David McAtee. No matter. I'll take change however it comes, but we'll see if anything really does happen.

I just saw this video this morning... the man was bleeding from the back of his head. It's hard to tell what the tipping point will be with the American public. In the 60's it was images of water hoses and dogs being turned on peaceful black men and women while troopers on horseback chased them down being broadcast on the evening news videos like this

That's the fire department operating the hoses by the way. Images like this helped change public perception (as much as it could) in the US and abroad.

8 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

If the "good" cops you know lack the moral courage to root out the "bad" cops they know, then they're not "good" cops.

It's not that simple and I really don't want to be put into the position of "defending" cops during this time. But a rank and file officer has very little power to "root out" bad cops in a system that is rotten from the top down. In fact two of the cops in the George Floyd incident were rookies who had only been on the job FOR DAYS and the cop who actually had his knee on Floyd's neck was the senior officer. Look up Cheryl Dorsey, a former LAPD Police Sergeant who is now a civil rights activist. She and other law enforcement reform activists have proposed what the solutions should be for the systemic problems with law enforcement in this country. She talks about some of those reforms here

One of my best friends works for a very prominent law center that deals with criminal justice reform and I don't think the average person knows how systemically broken our justice system really is. Some of the stuff he tells me is HORRIFIC. Judges basically being above the law... Sheriffs Departments being able to hire pretty much whomever the hell the want regardless of qualifications in some parts of the country...Police Departments suffering very little in the way of accountability which trickles down to the officer on the street. City budgets having to take into account the lawsuits and settlements that they have to payout to deal with the actions of their officers. And don't even get me started on juvenile criminal justice. 

Much like the cries of black folks regarding Police have been ignored for years, the solutions that have been presented to fix the problem from people who deal with this issue everyday have been ignored as well. Police Departments NEED accountability which they really don't have right now. Once The departments themselves are accountable financially and criminally, MAYBE we'll see some change. Maybe.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Amber Ruffin has been starting Late Night w/Seth Meyers all week talking about her experiences with police over the years. It’s a pretty good watch/listen:

I’ve had a couple of less extreme interactions before at work and on my time off.

One time I was pulled over for a license plate that looked “decimated” the cop looked at my ID and remarked I looked darker on my ID (sorry?) and that I would keep getting pulled over for it if I didn’t fix it. In something like 2 years I got pulled over one more time but since I was wearing my uniform the lady was nice and promptly let me go, I wasn’t even late to work!

Another time I was at work. The black cops are usually good guys but there is this woman (white) cop who shows up on occasion. I had to call the police on this drunk homeless guy who refused to leave the property. So when she showed up I was waiting in the driveway and I explained the situation and I take notes on a phone so after I was talking to her she made some remark to talk to her and not be on the phone. I just thought “bitch I’m the one who called for your help” and then when she interacted with the homeless guy (who was white) she was beyond friendly. While searching him an alcohol bottle he had on him fell out and shattered and she apologized and he asked if the jail was warm and she gave him some assurance that it is.

This other employee I work with is on good terms with her (he’s a white guy) and says she’s nice but I told him she’s always been cold towards me.

7 hours ago, johnny said:

lol I’m seeing white people I know get all up in arms about the old white guy getting pushed down but were suspiciously quiet during all the videos of police abusing other protestors. 

I have noticed that as well.

That said the video has seemingly the whole interaction from start to finish so I can see how this one you can't do the whole "well what happened off camera" routine that bootlickers love to trot out. These two things combined makes a mark with white people, even those who are wholly unsympathetic or empathetic to people of color on a subconscious level

There were a couple of comments on Canadian policing in this thread, just wanted to make a couple of clarifications.

RCMP -- The RCMP are not analogous to the FBI.  Yes, they do a lot of the things the FBI do in terms of federal investigations, but they are also responsible for policing some highways, and will do "regular policework" in some provinces, towns and first nation reserves.

(And no, they didn't invade a first nations reserve.)

A couple of other differences between Canadian and US police forces (based on my personal experience living in the suburbs of Detroit vs the suburbs of Toronto):

* Death from interactions with police in Canada happen at ~1/3 the rate as in the US (On a tangent, I also lived in Brazil at deaths occur in Brazil at ~10x the rate of the US); victims of first nations and black backgrounds are over represented in these fatalities

* Police forces tend to be at the "region" level (roughly analogous to a county ), rather than the municipal level  (so they tend to be much bigger than some US suburban forces)

* Tangent:  They spend a lot less of their time enforcing speed limits in Canada.

Which police force is most racist?  I don't know how to "measure" racism, but the Toronto police force has had the reputation for having significant racial issues.  But clearly, Canada is a BIG country, and the issues in Manitoba/Saskatchewan are fundamentally different than Ontario.

Sorry for the tangent, back to your regular scheduled programming.

13 hours ago, Jason said:

Just a gut feeling that there are more good cops or at least the public keeps them in check more effectively. I remember when a police man shot a teen with a knife that was in an empty street car and the public went nuts.

its still not great but after seeing all these protest videos it puts things into perspective.  Our country is not yet full blown dystopia 

Working with some of the movie studios to do a week worth of free screenings of justice oriented films at the drive in

Already confirmed

Just Mercy

Fruitvale Station

BlacKKKlansman

Not a lot, but I show movies, I can at least show ones that advocate for what’s right.

12 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Working with some of the movie studios to do a week worth of free screenings of justice oriented films at the drive in

Already confirmed

Just Mercy

Fruitvale Station

BlacKKKlansman

Not a lot, but I show movies, I can at least show ones that advocate for what’s right.

You need some to make white women feel like saviors

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Already confirmed

Just Mercy

Fruitvale Station

BlacKKKlansman

How about "To Kill A Mockingbird"?

This "optics stunt" by the DC mayor has gone over like a lead balloon with BLM:

The group Black Lives Matter DC reacted to the street painting with criticism of the mayor, saying she should decrease the budget for the Metropolitan Police Department and “invest in the community.”

Bowser’s proposed budget increases funding for traditional policing while cutting spending on programs to reduce violence through community-based intervention initiatives.

“This is performative and a distraction from her active counter organizing to our demands.” the group said on Twitter. “Black Lives Matter means Defund the police.”

But I bet it makes white "liberals" get the warm n' fuzzies!