Elden Ring - Information Thread, update (02/21): Shadow of the Erdtree DLC "Collector's Edition Messmer the Impaler Statue" trailer

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

I never used it. Does it not stop fall damage that isn't lethal? Just too many great talismans to ever bother with it. Especially since ive had like 9-10 flasks since very early on. I can't remember the last time I worried about running out of flasks. Plenty of times I didn't use one in time, lol, but never run out.

I was trying to use it in the underground area that you start the game in where the hallway zigzags down and you have to outrun the cart with all the blades on it that goes up and down the ramps. I was trying to just run to one of the openings and drop down but if you drop from too high, you still splat on the ground, which makes the talisman completely useless. I had to go to a height that I would've survived anyway. Anyways, that was the only instance where I thought it was going to be useful and it wasn't so much. Threw it back in the inventory so I could use a more helpful one instead.

21 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

That was me after beating Astel. Fucking asshole centipede looking bitch 

I used to have a ritual where, after beating a tough boss, I would do a "fuck you" dance where I'd outstretch my arms and give the finger to the tv screen with both hands. Sometimes I'd even get right up to the screen and swirl my hands around in circles as I flicked off the dead boss. Usually while repeating "fuck you fuck you fuck you" over and over. It was usually reserved for relatively tough bosses. Think Alma from Ninja Gaiden or Atma Weapon in Final Fantasy III. Granted I was a lot younger in the late 90's and early 2000's so it was pretty typical behavior for me.

Needless to say, over the years, it hasn't been used as much, as the games that I play nowadays tend to skew to the easy end of the spectrum.

But I can proudly say that Elden Ring has allowed me to reach into my old repertoire and dust off the classic "fuck you" dance, as I have gotten to use it quite often lately. Would it be weird to see a 40+ year old do a fuck you dance? Maybe. But I don't care. Definitely not the weirdest my wife as seen me do lol.

6 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I was trying to use it in the underground area that you start the game in where the hallway zigzags down and you have to outrun the cart with all the blades on it that goes up and down the ramps. I was trying to just run to one of the openings and drop down but if you drop from too high, you still splat on the ground, which makes the talisman completely useless. I had to go to a height that I would've survived anyway. Anyways, that was the only instance where I thought it was going to be useful and it wasn't so much. Threw it back in the inventory so I could use a more helpful one instead.

Yeah, it only stops damage that isn't lethal. You can also drop stones off cliffs. If they break, lethal. 

PSA: doing some reading while I eat breakfast at a truck stop, and learned that Margits Shackle reveals hidden walls when used nearby. It appears to send out a Shockwave. No idea if this is intentional, or the result of its effects being programmed as a "force", but it seems to work. 

https://www.thegamer.com/margits-shackle-reveal-hidden-walls-elden-ring/

20 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I've used it and I think it depends on the duration you fall. Like at that water wheel in Raya Lucaria I jumped from the top and died.

But at that tower in Caelid there are some fall spots (I'm not sure you don't take damage otherwise) that I didn't take damage.

If you're supposed to die from falling you'll pretty much instantly die though.

"Fall damage" only occurs between 16-19.9  meters, anything 20 meters or more is death.

So the talismans only prevent the "fall damage" that would normally occur in that small 4m window. Aka useless

• True 1

I was really ready for a 2nd playthrough as soon as I finished but taking a bit of a break for now playing some other stuff.

The game is so huge I really dont know if I want to restart another playthrough until maybe an expansion or somethig, even though I enjoy playing it so much.

23 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I was really ready for a 2nd playthrough as soon as I finished but taking a bit of a break for now playing some other stuff.

The game is so huge I really dont know if I want to restart another playthrough until maybe an expansion or somethig, even though I enjoy playing it so much.

You really need to play God of War.

• True 2

9 minutes ago, stepee said:

Love the game but Elden Ring excels in gameplay and level design which aren’t really RDR’s strong points. It’s an amazing experience though.

I think as a whole RDR2 is just a good as those two. Limited to just combat it's not even in the same league, but it feels wrong to limit RDR2 to that. 

• True 1

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I think as a whole RDR2 is just a good as those two. Limited to just combat it's not even in the same league, but it feels wrong to limit RDR2 to that. 

I think it’s up there for me, a couple other games are probably, but in different ways. I guess I meant also GOW checks the same kind of boxes that ER does for me, not just that it’s as good.

22 minutes ago, stepee said:

I think it’s up there for me, a couple other games are probably, but in different ways. I guess I meant also GOW checks the same kind of boxes that ER does for me, not just that it’s as good.

I agree. There's other games that may be just as good overall our better in some aspects (graphics, story etc.) But in terms of similar style games, God of War scratches a lot of the same itches as Elden Ring and even does some things better. Elden Ring, while flawed slightly, is the best game I've played in several years though. Definitely the epitome of FromSoftware's Souls formula at this point. For better or worse. 

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I agree. There's other games that may be just as good overall our better in some aspects (graphics, story etc.) But in terms of similar style games, God of War scratches a lot of the same itches as Elden Ring and even does some things better. Elden Ring, while flawed slightly, is the best game I've played in several years though. Definitely the epitome of FromSoftware's Souls formula at this point. For better or worse. 

I can’t think of a better game since 2018 for sure, but that may be fleeting with GOW2 this year (I BELIEVE).

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

The only game that comes close for me is Last of Us 2 but it and Elden Ring are two completely different experiences. 

I’ll be honest that slipped my mind, perhaps unfairly! That’s up there too for sure, though maybe just a touch lower for me. 

9 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Sekiro came out in 2019 and I like it better than ER for the most part.

Forgot about Sekiro. Until Elden Ring it was definitely my favorite From game. Might still be... I'll see after I finsih Elden Ring.

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’ve been thinking I might need to try this now that I pushed through a From game. Might have to pick it up next sale.

Be warned, it's MUCH different than Elden Ring and is probablt the most difficulty From game to date. 

Forgot about Sekiro. Until Elden Ring it was definitely my favorite From game. Might still be... I'll see after I finsih Elden Ring.

Be warned, it's MUCH different than Elden Ring and is probablt the most difficulty From game to date. 

Yeahhh that scares me. Can you still grind and level up? Can you summon help for bosses? 

I read that fights are decided more quickly, is that accurate? I can retry a single thing a bunch of times as long as I’m able to retry the part I’m actually struggling with right away. That’s why I can do stuff like Katana Zero and Celeste.

It’s long grinds where it’s like 5+ minutes and then you get a one hit kill and have to do it all over again to get to the one hit kill part that makes me tap out as it turns into boredom for me fast.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Yeahhh that scares me. Can you still grind and level up? Can you summon help for bosses? 

I read that fights are decided more quickly, is that accurate? I can retry a single thing a bunch of times as long as I’m able to retry the part I’m actually struggling with right away. That’s why I can do stuff like Katana Zero and Celeste.

It’s long grinds where it’s like 5+ minutes and then you get a one hit kill and have to do it all over again to get to the one hit kill part that makes me tap out as it turns into boredom for me fast.

Sekiro is MUCH more reliant on Skill than leveling. You HAVE to learn how to play the game the way it's designed which means parrying and dodging. You're not gonna grind and then beat bosses by overleveling in Sekiro. I only remember ONE boss where you had an A.I. helper and that was pretty early in the game. There may have been more but I don't remember them. As far as multiplayer? No. You're on your own. I don't think there's a lot of travel to get back to bosses in Sekiro, that's the game where from started getting pretty generous with Save points. Also due to the mobility of your character and stealth, you can often just beeline back to a difficult boss fight with little trouble once you know the way there.

Sekiro is MUCH more reliant on Skill than leveling. You HAVE to learn how to play the game the way it's designed which means parrying and dodging. You're not gonna grind and then beat bosses by overleveling in Sekiro. I only remember ONE boss where you had an A.I. helper and that was pretty early in the game. There may have been more but I don't remember them. As far as multiplayer? No. You're on your own. I don't think there's a lot of travel to get back to bosses in Sekiro, that's the game where from started getting pretty generous with Save points. Also due to the mobility of your character and stealth, you can often just beeline back to a difficult boss fight with little trouble once you know the way there.

I think I’ll give it a shot, but when I see it for like $20 then :P

It being designed around dodge and parrying is more my speed than blocking so that’s good at least.

Life has been busy AF. Got the game on launch and Im only at 

Spoiler

Atlas Plateau

and there is definitely a few things I skipped in the lake. 

Spoiler

Only did 1 of the 4 belfries

all those towers behind the manor and the dragon there

ansei well

all the evergaols

game is huge. Maybe I can complete it sometime this year. Lol.  Its crazy to read some people are on their 6-7 playthroughs. I am loving it though! 

8 hours ago, stepee said:

I think I’ll give it a shot, but when I see it for like $20 then :P

It being designed around dodge and parrying is more my speed than blocking so that’s good at least.

Recently playing all the Souls games, Sekiro is probably my least favorite, and really isn't a traditional Souls game.  All it really shares is the Bonfire checkpoint system with the Souls games. 

Combat is completely different, you don't have different armors and weapons, you don't have attribute points to upgrade.  You do level up but that just gives you new skills or perks to choose from, which are very helpful, but nothing like grinding 10 levels to up your Vigor.  You find items to upgrade health and stamina, of which there are a finite number.  You do have some items you can upgrade to use to help as well.

It's still a great game that I enjoyed, but comparing it to the rest of the Souls games, just didn't hit with me quite as much.  Even the world itself I just didn't find as interesting overall as most of the other Souls games.

RDR2 is probably in my top 5 most disappointing games.  I played through all of it, but it felt like a chore the entire way though, I never can really say I was having "fun" doing it.

• Thanks 1

I originally thought there wasn't much to do in Caelid but it's almost as dense as the first area. I finally found that boss guy in the swamp, weird I never stumbled upon him before. I fought the two night bosses, the night night again and another night bird. Found some ruins and even started doing that Millicent quest.