Elden Ring - Information Thread, update (02/21): Shadow of the Erdtree DLC "Collector's Edition Messmer the Impaler Statue" trailer

14 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

I still question the value of it with some weapons. It seems fineish with the rapiers I am using in NG+. But I dropped it for my dual halberds. Leaves you too open, uses too much stamina, and the attacks are slow enough that I feel dual handing my halberd does more damage over time.

It should also be okay for katanas since the faster bleed pop. 

Also lol bleed needs a nerf. I booted up DS3 to test it out on the Neo and jesus the bleed is so weak. 

I've tried it with katanas and great curved swords, all which have bleed, and both setups shred.  I don't have any other weapons upgraded so you might be right on other setups.

Respeced again, gave up on faith (like in real life) and put everything in STR (and VIG/END). I was maybe a little under leveled as I approached the late game. I was running past a lot of enemies at points because they were annoying. I also wasted a lot of runes on weapons that I would upgrade a bunch before even really trying them out. But the randos in the Haligtree area drop a ton of runes. Just running through and bashing all the soldiers between these two sites of grace gets you like 80k runes. 

It’s wild to scan back over the map and remember all the shit I’ve done in this game. 

I’ve been, what’s feeling like, beating my head against a wall in Calid. I’ve done a lot there, and in Dragonborrow, but what’s left feels above my level or skill, or both. Decided I’m done there for now and fucked off to the west and found the magic academy or whatever in a sunken city.

Everything here is MUCH easier to kill. I’m like 55 hours in at lvl 70. still loving the game. … still only beat 2 story bosses at Stormveil. lol 

I feel like I may need to find where or how I can respec my character. I’ve had to dump a bunch of points into melee stats, because I had crap magic spells for so long, and now I have stronger magic spells and Int/Faith based weapons I can’t use fully yet, like the Moonveil Katana. I feel like I’m too much a Jack of all trades and need to specialize now that I have better kit to do so. 

22 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I feel like I may need to find where or how I can respec my character.

Go to the 

Spoiler

Raya Lucaria Academy legacy dungeon north of Stormveil and beat the boss, then speak to the boss, and you will have the option of rebirth. Costs 1 larval tear. 

19 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Go to the 

Reveal hidden contents

Ah, ok. I’m in the process of doing just that. Just found the seal, need to go get the key. 

35 minutes ago, Dimden said:

What are your stats?   For Hybrid Int/Faith, Int/Arc or Faith/Arc, your main stat should be 45 and your secondary stat should be 32, that'll give you the best overall scaling for a hybrid. For a pure build, you'll want to stop at 60 or 80 depending on the weapons, seals or staffs you're using. Unfortunately, stat scaling in this game isn't as easy as "GET X POINTS" in a specific stat. Each weapon scales differently and given that you can change scaling with ash of war, that just ups the complication factor. So you'll have to use the Fextralife Wiki for whatever your preferred weapons are if you want to min/max your character.  Otherwise if you don't want to do that, then generally speaking, your softcaps are 20, 40, 60 and 80 for Strength/Dexterity and 32, 45, 50 and 70 for Faith/Intelligence/Arcane. As I stated before, depending on what you're using, the caps may be higher or lower.

To give you an example, I'm currently running a Faith/Arc hybrid specializing in dragon incantations/dragon lightning using the Dragon Communion Seal +10 which has B scaling in Faith and S Scaling in Arcane. With 32 Fai/45 Arc I have over 330 incantation scaling after using Godrick's Rune (Gives +5 to all stats so I have 37 Faith/50 Arc). I'm using jellyfish shield to give me a temporary 20% boost to my incantations, Lighting Scorpion Charm to boost Lightning Damage, Roar Medallion to boost Dragon Roar/Breath Incantations, Flocks Canvas Talisman to boost all Incantations, Godfrey Talisman to boost incantations that can be charged. These leaves me with well over 300 incantation scaling (anything over 300 is good) and I can easily one shot virtually all enemies and mini-bosses. Major bosses can be two or three shot and the game has essentially become trivialized. I have just enough strength and dexterity to use Zamor Curved Sword and when I feel like getting up close and personal, I exploit how status are proc'd by using Fire's Deadly Sin, using the ash of war of the sword which does a frost inducing wind storm with high poise damage and frost potential due to my arcane stat. Normally you can't immediately proc a status effect like frost multiple times in rapid succession, but by using Fire's Deadly Sin, I can remove the frost effect and proc it a second time before my first ash of war has even finished doing it's thing. Once you understand how the stats work, you can do all sorts of insane shit in this game.

Edit: Just thinking about it, I can be extra spicy and get a +25 MISÉRICORDE with Occult scaling and use that as a critical hit weapon during staggers. Time to farm stones!

Regarding other types of scaling, as far as I can tell:

Frost/Flame generally scale with Strength

Lightning/Dragon Lightning generally scale with Dexterity

Magic/Gravity generally scale with Intelligence

Holy/Sacred generally scale with Faith

Ash of War generally scale with Weapon Level

Status Effects generally scale with Arcane

i don’t know what my stats are off the top of my head, but from what you’re saying I may not really need to respec. I’m still relatively low level (70) compared to where I’ll end the game. Arcane is easily my lowest at like 9, followed by Faith at 16. The rest or around 20, give or take a 1-2 points +/-. So for me it’s just about prioritizing and stopping on certain stats to grow into better builds from here. 

Yeah, I’ve kind of been specing into stats to use weapons or spells/incantations. Most recently specing into Rotten Breath and Fire Breath. Both of which have helped me defeat bosses I don’t think I could have killed otherwise. 

I don’t know how scaling works entirely. I’m looking at it pretty basically. I figure the “better” the letter, the stronger it is based on how high my stat is. 

I’ve been going through Limgrave and Lakes finishing all the sides bosses from both areas and think I’ve finally 100% both areas (already did the legacy dungeons for both).

The storyline/quests seem to tell me I have a choice of going to Caelid, Altus Plateau, or doing the Nokron lost city side quest from the Renni dude. Any recommendations where I should go next?

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The New York Times has written...something.  Hell, I don't even know how to describe what the hell this is!

to expect disappointment and more struggle — has trained us well for Elden Ring

fucking cringe 

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The New York Times has written...something.  Hell, I don't even know how to describe what the hell this is!

13techfix2-facebookJumbo-v2.jpg
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The video game evokes the hardship and disappointment of the pandemic, but also the hope of human communion.

I feel like, alternatively, they could also have not written this article instead.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, osxmatt said:

I’ve been going through Limgrave and Lakes finishing all the sides bosses from both areas and think I’ve finally 100% both areas (already did the legacy dungeons for both).

The storyline/quests seem to tell me I have a choice of going to Caelid, Altus Plateau, or doing the Nokron lost city side quest from the Renni dude. Any recommendations where I should go next?

Nokron. Cool bosses, lots of XP, some cool gear. Plus that story line is great. 

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

The twin? That is one I had to go back to after leveling up my mimic, their poison makes it cheap.

I’m also in a weird spot with upgrade materials because of how I’ve bounced around areas; like I have materials to upgrade my weapons and ashes to +8 but not the materials to upgrade to +7 (can’t remember if those are the exact levels but same difference). 

Just now, Chris- said:

I’m also in a weird spot with upgrade materials because of how I’ve bounced around areas; like I have materials to upgrade my weapons and ashes to +8 but not the materials to upgrade to +7 (can’t remember if those are the exact levels but same difference). 

Yeah that definitely happened to me where I had all these high level stones but couldn’t get the medium level ones I needed for a long stretch. The good thing was once I finally got those medium level stones that mean I could upgrade a few times back to back and the surge of power felt very sexual.

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

How do I unlock all the capitol and move east to the snowy region?

Is there a block to the snowy region on top? I thought you just head east from Volcano. Do you have two great runes yet? That’s all you need to unlock Capitol.

12 minutes ago, Dimden said:

@best3444

Reveal hidden contents

Wow my memory was way off over sequence lol. I thought you had to

take the lift

to get to Volcano Manor in the first place for some reason so I thought he already did that. I guess because I did Manor after those two things.

@best3444 I’d do option 3 here and the place with the

half of the medalian in calid

was one of my fav grinding spots. I used that until the last 30 hours or so whenever I needed to add quick ruins with about 10k easy to get in a couple minutes.

Just now, best3444 said:

That's a lot of directions and information. I'm going to use this advice on Monday evening when I start back up. 

The Capitol was my favorite part of the game and when I realized it’s definitely a top 10 all time for me, enjoy!