Elden Ring - Information Thread, update (02/21): Shadow of the Erdtree DLC "Collector's Edition Messmer the Impaler Statue" trailer

Well finally took the plunge and fought Radahn. Even post nerf post buff he wasn't too difficult. Some people on here were making it sound like an ultra hard fight. In any case, I thought it was pretty cool.

Side note: Steam says 49% have beat him.  People are still pretty engaged with this game.

So a few days ago I finally decided to go past the main gate and head to Stormveil. I was level 45, killed a dragon easily, and figured, maybe it’s time to go fight Margit. I then got distracted by all the new places to see just outside the castle.

then I realized I had walked completely around the castle and skipped Margit entirely to get to the north. After killing a cave boss and Evergoal boss I thought “yeah, maybe I should go back and face Margit. So I smithed up some weapons, realized I could level up my Jellyfish pet to +5, and went for it. 

lol beat him in 6 attempts. My last attempt I  stopped worrying about staying out of his attack range and just went in on him, dodge rolling the heavy attacks. 

worked my way through the castle and beat the second boss in 3 attempts. 

Im now 40 hours in at lvl 50, and still really enjoying myself, just trying to decide where to go next. There’s still so much of the game and map I haven’t even revealed yet. 

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Well finally took the plunge and fought Radahn. Even post nerf post buff he wasn't too difficult. Some people on here were making it sound like an ultra hard fight. In any case, I thought it was pretty cool.

Side note: Steam says 49% have beat him.  People are still pretty engaged with this game.

I have to man up and beat him. What level were you when you took him down?

Crazy that people are such high levels. I'm at like, level 70 after about 60 hours. Trying to work my way thru Caelid right now after completing the Academy but I dunno... I think I need to take a break from it. I just bought Lego Star Wars and it's kinda nice to turn my brain off and not worry about dying every three minutes lol.

Thoughts I had on Joseph Anderson's critique copied from the other thread. 

"it sucks"

"I have more issues..."

yeah I'm going to enjoy this 

---

I am so glad he brings up the lack of event bosses and how repeated event bosses really takes away from the game. 

---

And YES HOLY SHIT

"It doesn't need to be replaced with anything, take something out and it is a better experience." 

That is exactly how the dragons feel in the game and many of the overly repeated bosses 

---

Yep, at around 38 minutes or so into the video, JA starts listing his headcanon ideas. I mean, I agree with them in this case but it also isn't a critique. It's just saying my ideas are better. 

---

But when I'm incentivized and more importantly excited to explore so much and then punished for it by outpacing so much content I can't help but think that something has gone horribly wrong

God I wish people could understand this. There are people here who don't. 

---

Yes, more people on the side of jumping wasn't a good addition to combat. I'm always glad when a popular youtuber can spread my opinion to the masses. I don't even need to try and convince people anymore. It is now a "fact" because a popular youtuber said so. 

---

I don't agree with some of his boss opinions tho. He has a lot of plebeian opinions when it comes to some of the bosses but talking about it any more would be spoilers. 

---

90% of the video is basically just my opinions so great job JA. He had a few opinions that had me like "yeah, maybe, but I really don't care". Like, at one point he mentions hit trading when it comes to heavy weapons and while hit trading was possible and I did it at times, it really didn't feel like an issue and that I don't believe it is as unavoidable as he says it is. And there were even less opinions that I just outright disagreed with. Like, his opinion on Radahn and the final "final" boss. Those are, by far, his most plebeian takes as I mentioned earlier. 

So I have a legit question; is there a main "quest" walkthrough somewhere? I am kinda getting to the point where I'm getting a bit impatient wandering about and just kinda want to know where I need to go to see the credits roll. I've just gotten up on top of the Ruin Strewn Cliffs or whatever they're called and killed a crocodile dragon thing and now I'm standing in an area with a bunch of discarded hearses and I'm just kinda wondering if I'm going the right way. I like the open-ended design of the world but sometimes I just wish they'd get on with it and tell me wtf to do. I got other games to play lol.

10 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

So I have a legit question; is there a main "quest" walkthrough somewhere? I am kinda getting to the point where I'm getting a bit impatient wandering about and just kinda want to know where I need to go to see the credits roll. I've just gotten up on top of the Ruin Strewn Cliffs or whatever they're called and killed a crocodile dragon thing and now I'm standing in an area with a bunch of discarded hearses and I'm just kinda wondering if I'm going the right way. I like the open-ended design of the world but sometimes I just wish they'd get on with it and tell me wtf to do. I got other games to play lol.

elden-ring-walkthrough-8042-164701841111
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Our complete Elden Ring walkthrough to complete the critical path.

24 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

On top of that actual walkthrough the sites of grace generally point you towards the big bosses / main story stuff.

3 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I'm kinda at this point myself. Ready to just mainline the quests and be done with the game to be honest. I'm sure I'll be playing and replaying this game for the next 10 years like Skyrim :p

5 hours ago, Bacon said:

But when I'm incentivized and more importantly excited to explore so much and then punished for it by outpacing so much content I can't help but think that something has gone horribly wrong

God I wish people could understand this. There are people here who don't. 

I can understand that, knowing why so may like From Soft games. But I absolutely love this about the game. 

the downside for players like you is the difficulty inherent to a first experience can only happen once. And in your first play through you don’t find out until too late that you’re making the game easier in how much of it your enjoying. 

they did give you a tool though. You could just strictly follow the paths that they sites of grave point you too, and not explore. The story bosses should remain challenging and dangerous then. But where’s the fun in that. 

and doing so on a second play through just isn’t the same, because you already know what to expect. 

I can see where maybe this is where we again talk about difficulty settings. But not for an easier mode. For a harder one. Where fog walls cut you off from being able to explore too much, like bypassing Margit. Maybe even reduce the amount of runes earned. 

The game remained pretty difficult to me throughout and I explored pretty much everything.  I just didn't use any of the more well known OP builds.  No blood damage, no mimic.  I felt it was just as or more difficult than any of the other souls games personally.

They gave people so many options in how to play this game, and that's the beauty of it.  So much variety and player choice to have the game be as easy or hard as you want it to be. 

8 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

The game remained pretty difficult to me throughout and I explored pretty much everything.  I just didn't use any of the more well known OP builds.  No blood damage, no mimic.  I felt it was just as or more difficult than any of the other souls games personally.

They gave people so many options in how to play this game, and that's the beauty of it.  So much variety and player choice to have the game be as easy or hard as you want it to be. 

Oh, well if that’s the case I take it back. I can’t roll my eyes hard enough at using known OP stuff and saying something is too easy, because the game lets them do it. 

I love that I can make the game easier. I love that I can over level. I love there’s weapons and pets that feel OP. A game feeling punishing for even daring to turn it on is why I didn’t play the previous games beyond a couple hours of DS2. 

9 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Over 100 hours into the game before I realized dual wielding the same class of weapon opens up a whole new move set, and deals so much damage.  I think I'm going to ditch shields because blocking takes so much stamina, better if I just learn to dodge right now.

I still question the value of it with some weapons. It seems fineish with the rapiers I am using in NG+. But I dropped it for my dual halberds. Leaves you too open, uses too much stamina, and the attacks are slow enough that I feel dual handing my halberd does more damage over time.

It should also be okay for katanas since the faster bleed pop. 

Also lol bleed needs a nerf. I booted up DS3 to test it out on the Neo and jesus the bleed is so weak. 

35 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Oh, well if that’s the case I take it back. I can’t roll my eyes hard enough at using known OP stuff and saying something is too easy, because the game lets them do it. 

I love that I can make the game easier. I love that I can over level. I love there’s weapons and pets that feel OP. A game feeling punishing for even daring to turn it on is why I didn’t play the previous games beyond a couple hours of DS2. 

I'm not a Souls expert by any means either.  I didn't use any magic at all, no items.  I really enjoyed the entire playthough.  I do understand the idea that you can get OP very easily by being thorough, but isnt that basically the case for any RPG without a scaling mechanic?

I do think an optional scaling mechanic could have benefited this game as Open World games do progress a lot differently than most, but I don't think it would have made bosses too much harder if someone was using the more OP builds. 

Just now, Dimden said:

Bleed used to be just as stupid in DS3, it got nerfed mega hard after the first few months.

Seems to be a combo of 15% HP damage, alot of enemies being resistant or flat out immune, and my karana only does 30 points of bleed.

23 minutes ago, stepee said:

Please for goodness sake do not talk From into implementing level scaling for the expansion/sequel/spiritual sequel whatever.

Agreed. One day I will be powerful enough to do a level 1 playthrough and I don't want that to get ruined.

16 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I did half of that, since I have the flask that allows you to take a hit. I don't think I have any type of flask that reflects damage though. :p

It didn't reflect damage, Radahn hit the water and died. It's a new boss cheese mechanic someone found.