Retail Apocalypse

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/here-s-how-many-stores-need-to-close-across-the-us-before-the-retail-apocalypse-ends-according-to-analysts/ss-AACurTy?ocid=AMZN#image=9

How many stores the UBS analysts recommend closing by 2026 to stop the retail apocalypse!

Clothing Stores- 20,700

Consumer electronics- 9,800

Home Furnishings- 8,400

Grocery- 7,310

Sporting goods- 5,900

Office Supply- 1,930

Home Improvement- 620

Auto Parts- 60

34 minutes ago, elbobo said:

the grocery store number is surprising, are people really doing a lot of online shopping for food? 

Though grocery performance maintains strong and steady, analysts recommend consolidation as e-commerce options such as FreshDirect, Instacart and Amazon Prime Pantry grow.

Between Meal delivery services and same day home grocery delivery it looks like a lot of grocery stores days are numbered. I mainly do my grocery shopping on Amazon and i think I've only been to a grocery store once in the past year.

18 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Between Meal delivery services and same day home grocery delivery it looks like a lot of grocery stores days are numbered. I mainly do my grocery shopping on Amazon and i think I've only been to a grocery store once in the past year.

With small kids, online grocery deliveries are really handy. That said, aren't most of these deliveries still coming from retail grocers? Prime Now's groceries comes from my local Whole Foods, . Instacart is bringing me groceries from a local Market Basket. Peapod is coming from a nearby Stop and Shop. I also subscribe to Shipt and that's coming from our local Target.

Yeah I've been picking up my groceries on the way home at Kroger using click list. It's great because I get to review the veggies and fruits they pick out to make sure they're good enough, and get the turnaround in a couple of minutes if there's an issue. And, if they screw up or something isn't available, I can get a good deal on something similar (even if we don't need it). For example we got some ricotta and ordered a 16oz tub of it (for lasagna) but they only had a 32oz. We got the 32oz for the 16oz price. Just gotta figure out what to do with it before it goes bad.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

With small kids, online grocery deliveries are really handy. That said, aren't most of these deliveries still coming from retail grocers? Prime Now's groceries comes from my local Whole Foods, . Instacart is bringing me groceries from a local Market Basket. Peapod is coming from a nearby Stop and Shop. I also subscribe to Shipt and that's coming from our local Target.

Maybe certain areas have too many grocery stores in a small area so some need to close? Amazon wants to use blimps to do same day delivery so maybe they'll deliver groceries?

3 hours ago, elbobo said:

the grocery store number is surprising, are people really doing a lot of online shopping for food? 

35 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Yeah I've been picking up my groceries on the way home at Kroger using click list. It's great because I get to review the veggies and fruits they pick out to make sure they're good enough, and get the turnaround in a couple of minutes if there's an issue. And, if they screw up or something isn't available, I can get a good deal on something similar (even if we don't need it). For example we got some ricotta and ordered a 16oz tub of it (for lasagna) but they only had a 32oz. We got the 32oz for the 16oz price. Just gotta figure out what to do with it before it goes bad.

Do the sales numbers not get assigned to the individual store when you do something like that?

2 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

Well you can order online from the grocery store's website and they will gather the food for you and you can pick it up when you arrive.

I mean, that's how it works for Ralph's anyway.

My wife does Amazon subscribe and save for household goods, and Walmart/HEB for most groceries via their pickup option. She rounds it out with sale items at Kroger and Aldi. Fortunately all four are within spitting distance of each other, so not a big deal when she needs to go to a couple. I also snag the pickups from time to time, which is nice.

6 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

My grocery store is across the street so I'm in there daily almost.

20 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

For example we got some ricotta and ordered a 16oz tub of it (for lasagna) but they only had a 32oz. We got the 32oz for the 16oz price. Just gotta figure out what to do with it before it goes bad.

Cannolis, duh.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Jason said:

Do the sales numbers not get assigned to the individual store when you do something like that?

It's testing and training data. Think how Amazon uses UPS/USPS/Fedex to deliver, until they figure out that they have enough customers in an area so they start delivering themselves.

Right now it doesn't make sense for there to be a purely internet grocer warehouse, but within enough users that calculus changes.

WTF is a “retail apocalypse”? Also I buy no food online except for specialty items. I go to the grocery store every week like a normal adult. 

Side note. An Aldi opened up near me. When in today...fuck that place. What an odd and bizarre vibe that place gives off. Like a thrift store for food. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 1:54 PM, SFLUFAN said:

Barnes & Noble is being taken private.

Expect many store closings from that one.

I haven't been back to B&N since about a year or two ago. Somehow I ended up on the B&N website while in the store. On their website the book was $16.99 and in store the price was $22.99.  When it rang up it as $22.99 I mentioned their website and the lady said that price is only available from the website and we don't match it in store :confused: :confused: Way to kill traffic in your retail store.

48 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I haven't been back to B&N since about a year or two ago. Somehow I ended up on the B&N website while in the store. On their website the book was $16.99 and in store the price was $22.99.  When it rang up it as $22.99 I mentioned their website and the lady said that price is only available from the website and we don't match it in store :confused: :confused: Way to kill traffic in your retail store.

I've heard the same from in-store clerks as well.  

1 hour ago, DarkStar189 said:

19 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I've heard the same from in-store clerks as well.  

Odd. I don't think that's the same anymore though. I was shopping online once and was on their website. After adding a book to the cart I had the option to pick up in store and the price didn't change.

1 minute ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Odd. I don't think that's the same anymore though. I was shopping online once and was on their website. After adding a book to the cart I had the option to pick up in store and the price didn't change.

That's for in-store pick-up of something you bought online originally which for some inexplicable reason is different than asking them to match their own website's price at the store!

17 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

WTF is a “retail apocalypse”? Also I buy no food online except for specialty items. I go to the grocery store every week like a normal adult. 

Side note. An Aldi opened up near me. When in today...fuck that place. What an odd and bizarre vibe that place gives off. Like a thrift store for food. 

Not sure where the Aldi's hate is coming from.......best cheese selection anywhere nearby for me plus cheaper veggies.  All other sections are purely optional.

1 hour ago, TyphoidHater said:

Not sure where the Aldi's hate is coming from.......best cheese selection anywhere nearby for me plus cheaper veggies.  All other sections are purely optional.

Aldi can be off-putting if you don't know what you're getting into. You have to have a quarter if you want to use a cart, most products are brands you don't recognize, you have to pay for bags or bring your own, etc. It has become my go-to place for most of my food, because it's cheap and I'm trying to eat decently on a budget. 

• Like 2

I don’t have anything against Aldi. Walking around it, I thought it was clever the ways they figured out how to cut costs so they can offer their cheap prices. Some stuff was intriguing but walking around a store with almost no staff and shelves that were empty in a lot of spots was just...off putting. I knew what they were about before I went in so I wasn’t surprised. And given that I live in an area that has Market Baskets everywhere(a full chain that already beats Walmart’s grocery prices) the low prices Aldi offers just aren’t that enticing to me. 

11 hours ago, Anathema- said:

Different Aldi's also have vastly different qualities, unlike most other chains including their closest competitor Lidl (who I love).

We are getting a Lidl soon near where I live. I is pumped.

@Mercury33 Totally agree with you on the Aldi vibe. I get depressed every time I walk in. But they do have some good deals!

2 hours ago, Jose said:

We are getting a Lidl soon near where I live. I is pumped.

@Mercury33 Totally agree with you on the Aldi vibe. I get depressed every time I walk in. But they do have some good deals!

For sure. I’ll probbaly go back to get stuff for my kids birthday party in a few weeks. Seems perfect for that kind of stuff. 

Also i did love seeing all the creative rip off packaging and names they came up for their stuff to replicate regular brands. That’s a fun job I bet haha

I do most of my grocery shopping at Aldi, and outside of a handful of items, I've found all of their private label stuff to be as good - if not better - than their name brand equivalent. The only thing I dislike is how much produce needs to be bought packaged (which is annoying as a bachelor; I can't go through two pounds of onions!), but they've slowly started introducing more pay-by-the-pound items.