~*Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars: Episode IX - Duel of the Fates OT*~

1 minute ago, number305 said:

Really the only thing I see in those numbers is the slow decline in excitement for new star wars movies.  I think if they took a decade off (which won't happen again for a long time) you would see another large jump in excitement again.

My read on it, especially from all the conversations I’ve had with customers leaving the theater is that older Star Wars fans came out to see their favorites for one last ride with TFA and haven’t used their once or twice a year they go to the theater to see the subsequent entries in the series with the original cast taking more of a backseat role over time.

I’m not sure there will ever be the right mix of old and young fans to replicate the TFA situation exactly, but giving more breathing room between films is likely a good idea moving forward. Make Star Wars an event again.

27 minutes ago, number305 said:

Really the only thing I see in those numbers is the slow decline in excitement for new star wars movies.  I think if they took a decade off (which won't happen again for a long time) you would see another large jump in excitement again.

Well, it wasn't a straight decline; TLJ outgrossed Rogue One, and TRoS outgrossed Solo. I put them in order of gross, not release.

All the first movies in the trilogies were event movies (Star Wars being the first, TPM for being the first SW film in 16 years, TFA for being the first SW film in 10 years and having the original cast in it). The second movies never grossed as much as the first, but RO and TLJ still made bank, with TLJ being the number one movie on home video when it released.

Solo was an offshoot no one asked for, and TRoS's negative critical reception clearly has affected it. IMO make a quality Star Wars movie, and it'll be huge. Marvel has shown that "fatigue" never set if theater goers liked the movies.

2 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

I have absolutely no idea where you can go with a post-Revenge of the Sith/pre-A New Hope Kenobi miniseries to make it even remotely interesting.

Apparently the original scripts trod the same thematic ground as The Mandalorian.

There's what, 18 years between Sith and A New Hope? Obi Wan watching over and protecting Luke while staying off of the Empire's radar is RIFE with story possibilities. The did a story in the Star Wars comic for a couple of issues showing Obi Wan in exile and those stories were intriguing and illustrated to me where a potential Obi Wan spinoff movie could go.

40 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

. Marvel has shown that "fatigue" never set if theater goers liked the movies.

It's really this simple. Make good stories that people like and folks will come to the movies. The asterix with Star Wars is that there is a vocal minority on the internet that muddies the waters and will always have a problem with the newer Star Wars films because an "ick! Girl is in charge!" 

• Guillotine 1

Obi Wan himself says "hold your horses!"

Ewan McGregor has confirmed to IGN that, despite the Disney+ Obi-Wan Kenobi series being put on hold, its not-currently-public release date has not been changed.

McGregor spoke to IGN at a Birds of Prey media event, pointing out that these kinds of production delays are fairly common, but it shouldn't impact when fans around the galaxy will see the Obi-Wan Kenobi series debut on Disney+ (although we're not sure exactly when that was supposed to be).

"It’s just slid to next year, that’s all. The scripts were really good. I think now that Episode IX came out and everyone at Lucasfilm's got more time to spend on the writing, they felt like they wanted more time to spend on the writing." McGregor said. "I’ve read about eighty, ninety percent of what they’ve written so far, and it’s really, really good. Instead of shooting this August, they just want to start shooting in January, that's all. Nothing more dramatic than that. It often happens in projects, they just wanted to push it to next year. It will have the same release date, I don’t think it will affect the release date. They're still shooting towards having the film [show] release when it was going to be originally."

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Well, it wasn't a straight decline; TLJ outgrossed Rogue One, and TRoS outgrossed Solo. I put them in order of gross, not release.

All the first movies in the trilogies were event movies (Star Wars being the first, TPM for being the first SW film in 16 years, TFA for being the first SW film in 10 years and having the original cast in it). The second movies never grossed as much as the first, but RO and TLJ still made bank, with TLJ being the number one movie on home video when it released.

Solo was an offshoot no one asked for, and TRoS's negative critical reception clearly has affected it. IMO make a quality Star Wars movie, and it'll be huge. Marvel has shown that "fatigue" never set if theater goers liked the movies.

It's a steady decline if you just look at the main numbered entries.  The stand alones are kind of their own thing.  

I'm sure there are other factors involved.  Some people liked some of them better than others and all that.  But it does show a slow decline.

Marvel really seems to be it's own thing (as is star wars...).  I really think it will be interesting to see how the next phase or two manage to do now that many of the major players are finished.  They will get to incorporate F4 and Xmen... so there are still lots of area's to explore.  But it can't be the most popular thing in the world forever... right?

28 minutes ago, Brick said:

Remember Nien Nunb, Lando's adorable co-pilot from Return Of The Jedi? You know, the one who looks like H.R. Giger's stab at designing the Hamburglar?

Fuckin' lol

Also, my mind didn't even make the connection even remotely that Chewbacca was getting Han's medal after Leia had held onto it somehow and then passed away clutching it and then Maz Kanata goes to pick it up and then gives it to Chewie because that run on sentence/explanation is really convoluted and doesn't make any sense.

2 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Fuckin' lol

Also, my mind didn't even make the connection even remotely that Chewbacca was getting Han's medal after Leia had held onto it somehow and then passed away clutching it and then Maz Kanata goes to pick it up and then gives it to Chewie because that run on sentence/explanation is really convoluted and doesn't make any sense.

I had assumed it was the medal he was never given. This is so much worse. I know EU content confirms he got his own medal many times, but if JJ Abrams didn't care about that, giving Chewie Han's hand-me-down medal is a bad look.

On 1/24/2020 at 7:15 AM, SaysWho? said:

The best SW movie since Empire. 

What's with people's obsession with her? It's weird.

Let's be fair here, the track record has NOT been consistent, and throughout the lows we've seen how good the highs can be, and we've also seen another giant Disney blockbluster franchise that has managed to be consistent. I'm not pitting all the blame on Kennedy but she likely has all the final say, and she really just needs to go.

I think Kennedy’s strengths are more towards financial and business side of things. I have not been a harsh critic of here’s mostly because it’s funny. But I think she has succeeded despite herself. I think the person that should be the head of creative decisions, project approval, story, lore, etc., should be Dave Filoni. 

Kennedy is a modern producer and has been incredibly successful in that role for her career and at Lucasfilm. Lucasfilm under her direction has generated over 10 billion in box office, home video, and merchandise sales. 

Feige and Marvel are a different beast. Feige is like a 1930s/40s producer, a far more creative force than the average modern producer. He is directly involved in ensuring consistency across all the Marvel properties at a base creative level. He’s more like a show runner on a TV series, just at a massive scale. His run has been incredibly impressive.

But they represent very different approaches to producing. Personally, I generally prefer producers to operate more like Kennedy because I want directors to have more creative control. I’ll take a genuinely terrible movie like ROS to get a genuinely great movie like TLJ.

4 hours ago, Reputator said:

Let's be fair here, the track record has NOT been consistent, and throughout the lows we've seen how good the highs can be, and we've also seen another giant Disney blockbluster franchise that has managed to be consistent. I'm not pitting all the blame on Kennedy but she likely has all the final say, and she really just needs to go.

I haven't seen all of Solo, though I've enjoyed what I've seen. I really liked TFA (watched it again yesterday and still loved it, and also saw some nice things that transferred into TLJ) and RO and loved TLJ. 

So the only thing that wasn't good for me was 9. Still, there are way too many people who have a borderline-comical seething hatred for her and it's a little disturbing to me. Idea is actually mild compared to some comments I read. There fortunately aren't many extremists here.

Also, since we've been talking about Star Wars in general in this thread, I'm watching episode 3 on TV right now and man does it look so fake. I think because of the high definition, everything has this sterile look to it due to everything being CG, and some of the stuff doesn't look very detailed either since we're talking about computer graphics from the 2000s. It's more cartoony than ever.

The return to a healthier combination of green screen and physical sets, which we also saw with the puppet Yoda, was a great change in the sequel trilogy.

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I haven't seen all of Solo, though I've enjoyed what I've seen. I really liked TFA (watched it again yesterday and still loved it, and also saw some nice things that transferred into TLJ) and RO and loved TLJ. 

So the only thing that wasn't good for me was 9. Still, there are way too many people who have a borderline-comical seething hatred for her and it's a little disturbing to me. Idea is actually mild compared to some comments I read. There fortunately aren't many extremists here.

No doubt, but those people hate the films even more, and much of that hatred comes from alt-right borderline sociopaths. But in an effort to fight against those groups, the tendency from more moderate folks is to defend Kennedy, even while admitting that as much as half the films under her have been mediocre to poor, and I don't think that's the right approach.

I haven't kept a tally but I feel there's been as much or more (publicly known) director shake-ups and complete rewrites on Disney's Star Wars films compared to the MCU with more than four times as many films. And those films with the most problems have tended to be passable at best, and I don't think it's unfair to expect better than that. Especially when the execution that has been good has been pretty dang good. The rest should follow suit.

4 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I haven't kept a tally but I feel there's been as much or more (publicly known) director shake-ups and complete rewrites on Disney's Star Wars films compared to the MCU with more than four times as many films. And those films with the most problems have tended to be passable at best, and I don't think it's unfair to expect better than that. Especially when the execution that has been good has been pretty dang good. The rest should follow suit.

Because the directors aren’t the main creative force behind MCU movies, Feige is. That’s why every MCU movie has the same look and feel, why they repeat the same plot structure over and over. That’s why the MCU stopped being interesting 5 or so years ago. Creating a bunch of well made and empty movies isn’t what I would like to see out of Lucasfilm.

I knew there was no chance of real directorial freedom when Edgar Wright got canned right before product on Ant Man and they brought in bland Peyton Reed to direct. In fact, the usage of so many people who learned their craft directing TV shows is a great indicator of what Feige wants, which is somebody to carry out his vision.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Because the directors aren’t the main creative force behind MCU movies, Feige is. That’s why every MCU movie has the same look and feel, why they repeat the same plot structure over and over. That’s why the MCU stopped being interesting 5 or so years ago. Creating a bunch of well made and empty movies isn’t what I would like to see out of Lucasfilm.

I knew there was no chance of real directorial freedom when Edgar Wright got canned right before product on Ant Man and they brought in bland Peyton Reed to direct. In fact, the usage of so many people who learned their craft directing TV shows is a great indicator of what Feige wants, which is somebody to carry out his vision.

Going to have to disagree with you there. You can absolutely tell which films were made by Shane Black and Taika Waititi. Hell even Captain American: The First Avenger feels a little bit like a movie made by the guy that did The Rocketeer. And I'll definitely disagree with the notion they stopped being interesting 5 years ago, before they even concluded The Infinity Wars story. Both final Avengers films are just brilliant pieces of popcorn cinema and I love them to death.

Not sure if your post is meant to be a defense of the current crop of Star Wars films but I'd definitely call Rogue One, Solo, and Episode 9 empty films. They're mildly satisfying in the moment but they don't hold up over time or with subsequent views.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

This. I’d be lying if I said I don’t enjoy Marvel movies while I’m watching them. But other than Thor: Ragnarok and Guardians 1 there’s not a single thing I can remember about them. Meanwhile Star Wars and DC films have created infinitely more interesting movies even if the quality has been more up and down. 

Also the idea that KK needs to replaced blows my mind. I mean I get if someone isn’t a fan of the newer Star Wars films but they’ve been massively successful and generally very well received. But yeah she sucks and doesn’t know what she’s doing 🙄

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

This. I’d be lying if I said I don’t enjoy Marvel movies while I’m watching them. But other than Thor: Ragnarok and Guardians 1 there’s not a single thing I can remember about them. Meanwhile Star Wars and DC films have created infinitely more interesting movies even if the quality has been more up and down. 

Also the idea that KK needs to replaced blows my mind. I mean I get if someone isn’t a fan of the newer Star Wars films but they’ve been massively successful and generally very well received. But yeah she sucks and doesn’t know what she’s doing 🙄

Star Wars climaxes still get me. They're still phenomenal and memorable. I don't know exactly how Vulture vs. Spider-Man went despite really digging Homecoming. I do, however, know each climax because there were always memorable moments, even in the bad ones.

BuZlMeG.png?1

U0atQ2k.png

CqeFbRB.png

1E01MWu.png

0P0axuW.png

aGlgnHw.png

GogbhhG.png

Star Wars continues to provide me with amazing memories. I got through the prequel trilogy, where everything now looks fake as FUCK, so I can get through 9 disappointing me. 

Also, guys and one gal:

My g/f knows nothing about the big ESB twist. I asked her several times what she knows. She knows Leia and Luke are related. I said, "But you don't know anything else about Luke, Leia, Obi-Wan, Darth Vader, Han Solo?" And she's like, "I mean, I know the names."

She tried to watch 4 a while ago and couldn't get into it. Maybe if I go RO-4-5 she'll dig it by being introduced to something contemporary. If I can get her into it and show her the twist, FUCK guys, FUCK!!!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

That’s why I said her strength lies in business and finance. I’m fine with her staying President of Lucas Film, I just think there needs to be a creative type right below her that kind of does what Feige for the MCU. A gate keeper. Kennedy can still handle licensing, and budget approval and the side of the business that doesn’t impact story creativity. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Also, guys and one gal:

My g/f knows nothing about the big ESB twist. I asked her several times what she knows. She knows Leia and Luke are related. I said, "But you don't know anything else about Luke, Leia, Obi-Wan, Darth Vader, Han Solo?" And she's like, "I mean, I know the names."

She tried to watch 4 a while ago and couldn't get into it. Maybe if I go RO-4-5 she'll dig it by being introduced to something contemporary. If I can get her into it and show her the twist, FUCK guys, FUCK!!!

That because 4 sucks too 

• Guillotine 1