~*Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars: Episode IX - Duel of the Fates OT*~

7 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

That explanation is NOT in the RoS Visual Dictionary at all. The only thing the RoS Visual Dictionary says about the Skywalker lightsaber is that "Maz promises to someday tell the story of how she acquired it."

What? Then where is this thing about her getting it from miners coming from? Did someone just lie and make that up, and it spread? 

When is she going to tell the story? The trilogy is over! Unless this is Disney's way of enticing us to keep up with the extra material like the comics, books, shows, etc. 

12 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

That explanation is NOT in the RoS Visual Dictionary at all. The only thing the RoS Visual Dictionary says about the Skywalker lightsaber is that "Maz promises to someday tell the story of how she acquired it."

Speaking of visual dictionaries...

pWqIYL4.jpg

WHERE THAT WAYFINDER ROOM THO

• Haha 3

I just got out of the theater with my parents. My mom was really wanting to see the movie since she saw a trailer before Knives Out, and she knew I was lukewarm toward the movie.

Before the climax, when Poe is making a big speech about how the First Order wants them to think they're alone and Finn says it's time to take the fight to them, my mom looks at me and goes, "You're right. This is strange." 

She thought the storyline was crazy and all over the place and despite all the action, she wasn't as excited as the last one (she still talks about the reveal that Luke was a projection). But, she was entertained and said she'd watch it again if it were on TV or streaming. She just thought it could have been a lot better. 

I honestly was hoping she'd like it a lot more than I did because it's fun to see her glowing about a movie after leaving the theater.

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I just got out of the theater with my parents. My mom was really wanting to see the movie since she saw a trailer before Knives Out, and she knew I was lukewarm toward the movie.

Before the climax, when Poe is making a big speech about how the First Order wants them to think they're alone and Finn says it's time to take the fight to them, my mom looks at me and goes, "You're right. This is strange." 

She thought the storyline was crazy and all over the place and despite all the action, she wasn't as excited as the last one (she still talks about the reveal that Luke was a projection). But, she was entertained and said she'd watch it again if it were on TV or streaming. She just thought it could have been a lot better. 

I honestly was hoping she'd like it a lot more than I did because it's fun to see her glowing about a movie after leaving the theater.

Maybe you soured her on it... sour puss!

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Maybe you soured her on it... sour puss!

:shock: She does trust my judgment, but sometimes she likes movies I do not.

She loved TLJ's climax. I showed her a few things that I was hoping they wouldn't change going into TRoS, and she kept wanting to watch the climax again. It was actually REALLY cool to watch because after TRoS's climax, you watch TLJ's and everything -- the pace, the dialogue, the cinematography, the emotion, the build -- is all in a different league.

There were some things I appreciated on a second watch, but some scenes seemed superfluous. There was that one scene where Leia is talking to that big guy and she tells him to be more optimistic. It does nothing for the story, it's not really that funny, Rose doesn't get anything worthwhile, and it's not this super memorable moment outside the fact that it just doesn't seem like it needs to be there. Weird they kept that but didn't keep any scene that explained why Palpatine lived and could make multiple Snokes (why the hell use Kylo Ren, then?).

Someone on Reset said the only place TRoS is doing better than TLJ is Japan and mentioned that this is the "most anime" of the sequels. I think that's a VERY good term for it.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Also, on this second viewing, I agree with @sexy_shapiro. I do love watching Ian McDiarmid, but this seemed like the most basic Palpatine of any of the movies. There were no mind games or stakes; it really was just, "He's bad. Get him." 

All the mind games already happened. That was kind of the problem. They just brushed everything off with “Palpatine was behind it all”. Palpatine was responsible for Snoke. Palpatine was the voice Kylo heard of Vader “speaking through the helmet”. But there were no clues or signs this was happening before the beginning scenes of ROS. 

...and it’s not like he can climb through the political ranks in the Senate again. lol

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

All the mind games already happened. That was kind of the problem. They just brushed everything off with “Palpatine was behind it all”. Palpatine was responsible for Snoke. Palpatine was the voice Kylo heard of Vader “speaking through the helmet”. But there were no clues or signs this was happening before the beginning scenes of ROS. 

...and it’s not like he can climb through the political ranks in the Senate again. lol

That's an intrinsic problem with bringing him back from the dead. Now he's just a generic big bad with a cool voice, and here, he tried to turn someone again as he did in 3 and 6, but it lasted just a little bit and then went into a fight scene.

I think a good writer could have made better use of him with some kind of internal conflict, but it didn't happen. Rey just stepped right up, "Not gonna turn, bro," and off to the fight scenes we go.

That's an intrinsic problem with bringing him back from the dead. Now he's just a generic big bad with a cool voice, and here, he tried to turn someone again as he did in 3 and 6, but it lasted just a little bit and then went into a fight scene.

I think a good writer could have made better use of him with some kind of internal conflict, but it didn't happen. Rey just stepped right up, "Not gonna turn, bro," and off to the fight scenes we go.

To be fair, his attempt to convert Rey was about as drawn out as his attempt to convert Luke.

”Ill kill all your friends”. “Kill me and join the dark side.” Fight. 

Only with Anakin did he seem to really try. Getting into his head from the time Anakin was made a padawan. Working him for years. Feeding off his fears, and turning his opinion against the Jedi. 

16 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

To be fair, his attempt to convert Rey was about as drawn out as his attempt to convert Luke.

”Ill kill all your friends”. “Kill me and join the dark side.” Fight. 

Only with Anakin did he seem to really try. Getting into his head from the time Anakin was made a padawan. Working him for years. Feeding off his fears, and turning his opinion against the Jedi. 

The attempt with Luke lasted throughout the final third/half of the movie, including during the lightsaber duel. This was a 4 minute conversation. It was really half baked.

The attempt with Luke lasted throughout the final third/half of the movie, including during the lightsaber duel. This was a 4 minute conversation. It was really half baked.

It really didn’t though in ROTJ. It was just “all hope is lost. Your friends will die. Strike me down in anger.” FIGHT. “ I’m a Jedi like my father” 

“then die” LIGHTNING HANDS

thrown down a shaft. 

not really very convincing. It was like “Join me” “no” “ok”. They just drew it out a bit, but he didn’t really put that much time and effort into it. 

5 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Someone on Reset said the only place TRoS is doing better than TLJ is Japan and mentioned that this is the "most anime" of the sequels. I think that's a VERY good term for it.

TROS is easily the most anime/CW/young adult film (in a bad way) of the whole trilogy, and it became quite apparent quite quickly while watching it in a theater.

• Like 1

One of the things about Palpatine that bothered me in this wasn’t about him directly. A lot of people seemed pretty familiar with details about Palpatine that I don’t think they’d know?

Doesn’t someone specifically make a reference to cloning and the Sith when talking about him? Leia would know some of that, but it seemed weird to me that a “random” character would know that stuff. 

15 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

One of the things about Palpatine that bothered me in this wasn’t about him directly. A lot of people seemed pretty familiar with details about Palpatine that I don’t think they’d know?

Doesn’t someone specifically make a reference to cloning and the Sith when talking about him? Leia would know some of that, but it seemed weird to me that a “random” character would know that stuff. 

Yeah, the "Lost" guy does that and it was yet another "What the hell?" moment.

This is especially ridiculous when the Jedi, the Force, etc. had essentially passed into myth and legend in The Force Awakens.

7 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

That’s one of those things that makes less sense the less Star Wars you know outside of the movies. Luke kind of went on a campaign to clear the name of the Jedi and tell the galaxy that Palpatine was really a Sith, the ancient enemy of the Jedi. 

not everyone believes him. Some just believed that Palpatine was really a secret Jedi who was part of a plot to take over the Senate by the Jedi. Palpatine killing the Jedi was just infighting between a corrupt group who didn’t want to share power. 

In other words, it didn’t strike me as odd, but I can see where many might be confused because it didn’t happen on screen anywhere. 

9 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Just the little bit i read in that Esquire story is better than what we got mostly because it built on themes established in The Last Jedi and moved the story FORWARD not backward like The Rise of Skywalker. If this is true, then it tells me that Disney probably got cold feet and brought JJ in to "hit the reset button" which is what he did. He still did it in the most clumsy way possible but unless that Trevorrow script was unreadable, there's no reason Disney wouldn't use at least SOME of these ideas in Rise of Skywalker.

3 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

That’s one of those things that makes less sense the less Star Wars you know outside of the movies. Luke kind of went on a campaign to clear the name of the Jedi and tell the galaxy that Palpatine was really a Sith, the ancient enemy of the Jedi. 

not everyone believes him. Some just believed that Palpatine was really a secret Jedi who was part of a plot to take over the Senate by the Jedi. Palpatine killing the Jedi was just infighting between a corrupt group who didn’t want to share power. 

In other words, it didn’t strike me as odd, but I can see where many might be confused because it didn’t happen on screen anywhere. 

Was that in the Star Wars comic? 

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Whatever it was, it was Colin Trevorrow and it was going to be pretty bad. Worse or better than TROS? Hard to say - JJ's filmography is better than Trevorrow's . . . 

what we got was pretty bad. ill take the version where the plot might actually make sense. 

• Haha 1