~*Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars: Episode IX - Duel of the Fates OT*~

20 minutes ago, Brick said:

I don't like the title of Duel of the Fates. That's already the name of the song playing when Jinn and Kenobi are fighting Darth Maul. 

"I love Duel of the Fates." 

"The song, or the movie?" 

Just needless. 

Nobody just randomly says they like that song. You’re usually talking about music when in comes up. 

plus we would shorten the movie title to DOTF when talking about it mostly. Or DTF :]

14 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I will say this - both the Trevorrow version(s) and the final Abrams film suffer from the same fundamental problem that seems to plague practically all big budget tentpole films in this day and age:

Too.  Much.  Goddamned.  Plot.

Think about how much plot A New Hope and Empire had... not much. And those films are damn near perfect.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I have become far more appreciative of "narratively lean" films like Dunkirk, Mad Max: Fury Road, Knives Out, and 1917 in my middle-age :p

Those are often the best executed films especially when it comes to the action genre. One of the first things you're taught to do when preparing to write a script is to be able to sum up your plot in three sentences. Films that can't be summed up like that often don't work and probably shouldn't be films. That's why I'm all for Filmmakers moving to the television format if the story they want to tell is too big for the big screen. it's also why I think Tarantino's work has suffered in his later years... but that's just me :shrug:

When it comes to spectacle movies I find that too much plot detracts from the spectacle itself. Hell, you can even communicate so much just through visual story telling alone. It why I’ve come to really appreciate silent movies within the past few years. Film is a visual medium, so why not try to express as much through visuals and not rely purely on exposition?

28 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I have become far more appreciative of "narratively lean" films like Dunkirk, Mad Max: Fury Road, Knives Out, and 1917 in my middle-age :p

I totally agree although I would say Knives Out is significantly heavier on the plot than your other examples. The other movies you listed, however, could easily be followed with the sound off.

27 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

When it comes to spectacle movies I find that too much plot detracts from the spectacle itself. Hell, you can even communicate so much just through visual story telling alone. It why I’ve come to really appreciate silent movies within the past few years. Film is a visual medium, so why not try to express as much through visuals and not rely purely on exposition?

I totally agree although I would say Knives Out is significantly heavier on the plot than your other examples. The other movies you listed, however, could easily be followed with the sound off.

Oh sure - Knives Out is definitely the most plot heavy of my examples, but it's not "plot burdened".  You jave to pay attention, but it really doesn't require all that much mental juggling.

Let's be honest with ourselves though; Treverrow's script (which we haven't read, just heard about bits of it) only sounds better because of one simple thing; the movie doesn't exist. 

By never actually have been made, we can never fully judge it, and it's left to our imaginations as to what it could have been like, and because most of us were disappointed by Rise of Skywalker, this movie in our heads is going to seem better.

26 minutes ago, Brick said:

Let's be honest with ourselves though; Treverrow's script (which we haven't read, just heard about bits of it) only sounds better because of one simple thing; the movie doesn't exist. 

By never actually have been made, we can never fully judge it, and it's left to our imaginations as to what it could have been like, and because most of us were disappointed by Rise of Skywalker, this movie in our heads is going to seem better.

The only Star Wars movies worse than this are the prequels. I will take my chances with shitty Trevorrow. 

11 hours ago, Brick said:

I was kind of thinking that last night. Also this would have been an early draft in comparison to the actual production. There could have been multiple re-writes until many of the things we liked never even got filmed.