~*Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars: Episode IX - Duel of the Fates OT*~

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

So Episode 8 as we got it basically combined Lucas' ideas for 7 and 8 (Luke being weird hermit that Rey/Taryn finds, Luke dying).

Very much looking forward to how the haters spin this one into a reason why rian johnson sucks 

9 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Are people's opinions of Ep.8 supposed to change just because one or two pieces line up with Lucas's treatment?

Peoples opinions on star wars are very much like political opinions these days. If you disagree with something then not only are you wrong, but you are also a bad person. No one can just discuss anything anymore. 

20 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Are people's opinions of Ep.8 supposed to change just because one or two pieces line up with Lucas's treatment?

To me, it’s just more evidence that people are incorrect in their view that RJ doesn’t understand Star Wars or the characters. Whether people like the decisions or not is a separate issue.

23 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Whether you like the finished product or not, I don't know how you can claim RJ doesn't understand Star Wars; you can't deconstruct something without intimate knowledge of how it ticks.

I get what you're saying. It's like a cartoonist that must first study traditional human anatomy before they can create distortions of it.

But what you call 'deconstruction', people that don't like his take would call 'misunderstanding'. It's a fundamental disagreement on what he actually did.

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

Whether you like the finished product or not, I don't know how you can claim RJ doesn't understand Star Wars; you can't deconstruct something without intimate knowledge of how it ticks.

That's a bit of an oxymoron. People don't like the movie because they recognize he doesn't understand Star Wars and/or its lore.

27 minutes ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

That's a bit of an oxymoron. People don't like the movie because they recognize he doesn't understand Star Wars and/or its lore.

I think @Chris- was asking how you can possibly claim that. It was obvious from the beginning that he understands the universe (much of the criticism against him ironically comes from a fundamental misunderstanding of who the characters are), but it's just more apparent now.

"That's not how Luke would act." According to the creator of Star Wars, it is. It shouldn't matter regardless because he's not the one directing the movie, but when the argument is, "This isn't Star Wars," there needs to be something to substantiate that.

18 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I think @Chris- was asking how you can possibly claim that. It was obvious from the beginning that he understands the universe (much of the criticism against him ironically comes from a fundamental misunderstanding of who the characters are), but it's just more apparent now.

"That's not how Luke would act." According to the creator of Star Wars, it is. It shouldn't matter regardless because he's not the one directing the movie, but when the argument is, "This isn't Star Wars," there needs to be something to substantiate that.

I missed this part somewhere. Were more similarities revealed besides just Luke dying?

1 minute ago, Reputator said:

I missed this part somewhere. Were more similarities revealed besides just Luke dying?

george-lucas-star-wars-sets-e15132679298
WWW.SLASHFILM.COM

A few pieces of concept art show off the only George Lucas sequel trilogy ideas that were in play before J.J. Abrams started over with The Force Awakens.

Among the pieces presented at the meeting were portraits of an older Luke Skywalker training a new disciple named Kira (who was later renamed Rey). The idea was that, 30 years after the fall of the Empire, Luke had gone to a dark place and secluded himself in a Jedi temple on a new planet. The paintings show Luke meditating, reassessing his whole life.

Apparently, the initial plan for Star Wars: Episode 7 was that Luke, over the course of that movie, would rediscover his vitality and train this new Jedi. So basically, what we got from the Rey/Luke storyline in The Last Jedi was initially supposed to be the bones for George Lucas’ Episode 7. Imagine an alternate universe where Episode 7 was Luke reluctantly training a new Jedi – it would be completely different.

So why did it change? Everyone realized that Luke Skywalker would better serve the needs of the story as the person that everyone seeks but does not find until the final scene of The Force Awakens. This allowed Han Solo more time as the mentor of the story, and the visuals of Luke training Rey on the site of an old Jedi temple were shelved for the next movie.

• 1 month later...

Fox Execs Told Lucas that Making Anakin a little kid would "destroy the franchise" :lol:

An excerpt from a 1999 Empire Magazine interview with George Lucas is currently making the rounds, in which Lucas recounts how 20th Century Fox executives were less-than enthusiastic about the director deciding to center the first film of the Prequel Trilogy around a 10-year-old Anakin Skywalker.

"You're going to destroy the franchise, you're going to destroy everything." Lucas said of the Fox execs reactions to his story choices. He also recalled telling others at Lucasfilm that he was "making a movie that nobody wants to see."

They weren't exactly wrong :lol:

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It was a bad decision from which all the other bad decisions sprung. I remember seeing that poster of little Anakin with the Vader shadow and I was like, what the fuck?!

Oh yeah, it’s got a great decision or anything. But when it’s in the movie with Hooknose Heeb, the obviously Jewish slave owner, Patois Binks, The More-Than-Slightly-Problematic-Gungan, and Totally-Not-Supposed-To-Be-Asian-Don’t-Worry-About-It space blockade folks... kiddo Anakin seems like a breath of fresh air in comparison :p

15 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I just had a weird thought. The Phantom Menace and The Sixth Sense were the two highest grossing movies of 1999. What if Jake Lloyd and Haley Joel Osment had switched roles? TPM gets better, but like Kal points out, there's still a lot of problems there. 

It's more than the actor.

It's a trilogy and your first movie is set way before the fall of the republic/Anakin's relationship with Obi-Wan/the hunting down of the Jedi/Palpatine's influence on Anakin/getting to know Luke's aunt and uncle. That gives you two movies to do all that. While AOTC is a bad film, the first movie being set in that time period would have allowed more time to explore all of that.

And in the aunt/uncle case, explore it at all because Obi-Wan never really got to know them in the prequels yet has these memories of what Luke's uncle was like during the Clone Wars.

• 3 months later...