~*Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars: Episode IX - Duel of the Fates OT*~

3 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

Yeah, the "Lost" guy does that and it was yet another "What the hell?" moment.

This is especially ridiculous when the Jedi, the Force, etc. had essentially passed into myth and legend in The Force Awakens.

Yeah it's ridiculous from a continuity perspective considering the events of *da da da daaaa* Return of the JEDI. And then TFA/TLJ tell us Luke was training new Jedi, spreading the gospel.

Sadly the "myth" angle is purely for the audience, meant to play with our nostalgia, and not so coincidentally it's another thing TFA tried to rip off from ANH.  Even after the prequels came out you could question if the Jedi should be mythical in the time ANH takes place, but you can make a better argument that it works because the entire goal of the Emperor was to destroy the Jedi and its legacy.  But the opposite had been happening between the events of ROTJ and TFA, and the First Order did not have as wide of a reach as the Empire to spread such propaganda - not with the Republic still in tact who owes its very existence to Luke. 

What's crazier than this logic is... I still choke up a little bit when Han does go, "It's true, all of it."  Shit hits me right in the childhood.

4 hours ago, Chris- said:

I do like the idea of a Sith analog to Yoda, that’s a pretty good idea. 

I don't. It goes against the Rule of Two, that the master Sith teaches the apprentice, and then when the apprentice gets strong enough they take over, and get their own apprentice to teach. 

Having some old Sith mentor thing is weird. Sidious already had a master that he learned from. 

The Alleged Trevorrow Script Would Have Prevented a Lot of the Problems of ‘Star Wars: Episode IX’ (The Ringer)

But even assuming the Reddit description of it is legit, there’s no guarantee it would’ve delivered a better onscreen experience than ‘The Rise of Skywalker’

As Rey supposedly says to Luke, “Balance? The dark suffocates the light, light extinguishes the dark. Over and over and over again. How is that balance in the Force?” Good question! Rey continues to question Luke’s teachings, remarking, “So says my master, and his master before him. A thousand masters, so eager to tell us how to live.” In The Rise of Skywalker, the “thousand generations” of Jedi are what give Rey her power. Here, they’re bonds she must break to bring lasting balance. Along the same lines, Leia allegedly tells Rey, “You’re not like my father or my brother. You’re new. Whatever happens, remember the Force chose you, Rey. Your story isn’t written by anyone else.”

Yep, that's EXACTLY the direction things should have gone in regard to the freakin' Jedi.

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

And I can see why Kennedy and Lucasfilm would have rejected it - they see redemption and the Jedi as the real stories and heroes of Star Wars, even though something new is needed.                     

They repeated the beats that the original trilogy already played out. As I've said before, based on what was happening in the comics and across the larger Star Wars Universe in the lead up to The Last Jedi, I believed the story WAS moving in the direction of achieving true balance in the force in that both light and dark would be needed to co-exist. I think after the backlash from Jedi, AND some comments from Lucas who has said there's not such thing as a "Grey Jedi", They backed away from that and probably told Treverrow they were "moving in another direction" which was "Play the greatest hits." And in came JJ.

47 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

The Alleged Trevorrow Script Would Have Prevented a Lot of the Problems of ‘Star Wars: Episode IX’ (The Ringer)

Yep, that's EXACTLY the direction things should have gone in regard to the freakin' Jedi.

Gee zuz, that all sounds great.

The over-arching theme of Kylo Ren's descent -- being the antithesis of Luke (coming from something instead of nothing, struggling but choosing dark over light) -- would have been a fascinating 3-movie trilogy. Maybe it wouldn't have been directed well, but THIS is actually interesting lore.

"RJ gave them nowhere to go." Apparently, Trevorrow found many ways to go.

I would have rather than a bad but interesting movie like Trevorrow's screenplay since it at least added to the overall story and lore, and kept it moving forward. What we got was just a rehash of old ideas, and not very interesting at all. Obviously the PT sucked balls outside of a few small things, but they added massively to the lore of Star Wars and expanded it in new directions. The ST has done basically nothing, and has somehow also made the intervening years between ROTJ and TFA completely boring and pointless.

41 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

In the end, I have absolutely zero idea as to what the overall "point" of the Sequel Trilogy ultimately was nor as to the state of the galaxy at its conclusion.

Based on the speed at which the movies took place and the apparent limit in power the FO had, it seems that most of the galaxy probably felt no effect at the war outside of the few we saw (or that were destroyed). TFA and TLJ take place over 10 days, and then TROS is a year later but makes clear that the FO only has limited abilities.

Also, in case anyone wants to see what Star Wars fandom thought of the OT 36 years ago, someone dug up the old usenet logs in google groups from when ROTJ came out. Turns out fans were just as picky back then, we simply don't have as deep a recording of it:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/net.movies.sw

After seeing "Return of the Jedi" Wednesday, I was left with
a question. I'm pretty sure that Episodes I, II, and II will be
about Anakin (Darth Vader) Skywalker and how he was drawn to the
Dark Side of the force (what is the offer he couldn't refuse?).
But, what will Episodes VII, VIII, and IX be about? Will the
Empire rise into power once more, lead by a sinister, new leader?
Or will a new enemy terrorize the galaxy?

The ending, with ANOTHER Death Star explosion was trite. I
could have written THAT plot.

Did I mention the two special effects I thought were clearly
poor quality. One was the flame that came out of Jabba the
Hutt's Land Barge when it was burning and before it
exploded. Looked like a Bunsen Burner sized flame. Wrong
Scale. The other was the explosion of the
satellite-dish-like ground station for the Death Star II's
force field. It wobbled like a plastic bowl before
collapsing. I don't think it should have.

I think one thing which happened to Lucas was that there
were all these deals made prior to completion of the film.
There was no question that the film had to be ready for
release by a certain date. It must have been awful. "No, we
can't reshoot that special effect, it would take 3 more days
and we don't have 3 days to spare"

I think JEDI has been a success so far because it is
receiving the credits from the first two movies. It is LIKE
those movies from the point of view of what appears on the
screen--If they intercut scenes from the Empire Strikes Back
and Star Wars with those of Return of the Jedi you would be
hard pressed to say where they were from. The problem is
that in Jedi the emotional content of the story is lost.
It's played as though the audience didn't CARE about the
deeper tones--the fatal flaw, a kid's movie made by adults
who don't think kid's have discerning viewing capabilities.

I'd really like to know what some kids say about the movie.

There are of course some positive opinions in there too!

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

They repeated the beats that the original trilogy already played out. As I've said before, based on what was happening in the comics and across the larger Star Wars Universe in the lead up to The Last Jedi, I believed the story WAS moving in the direction of achieving true balance in the force in that both light and dark would be needed to co-exist. I think after the backlash from Jedi, AND some comments from Lucas who has said there's not such thing as a "Grey Jedi", They backed away from that and probably told Treverrow they were "moving in another direction" which was "Play the greatest hits." And in came JJ.

Not possible!

10 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

I honestly keep forgetting I saw this a couple of weeks ago. Cats made way more of an impact on me than this nothing of a movie.

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Ultimately, Cats will probably be the more memorable movie between the two to be honest.

This is what I said in the Cats thread:

Future historians will produce many peer-reviewed, well-regarded academic treatises of how CATS: The Motion Picture was the living embodiment of the decline and fall of the American empire, culture, and society.

12 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

You can kinda feel the slow decay towards what we got in the end looking at the first draft to their last draft to the finished film. What a train wreck.

The guy who wrote broke down those scripts LOVED Rise of Skywalker btw and said we ultimately got "A Better film." All I can say is that Disney is lucky The Mandalorian and Jedi Fallen Order turned out so well. I've been having a blast with Battlefront too.

22 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The guy who wrote broke down those scripts LOVED Rise of Skywalker btw and said we ultimately got "A Better film." All I can say is that Disney is lucky The Mandalorian and Jedi Fallen Order turned out so well. I've been having a blast with Battlefront too.

The guy is the EIC of a major Star Wars fan site so I would take that into consideration of his sentiment.