~*Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars: Episode IX - Duel of the Fates OT*~

13 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Now we know why the book was delayed: Quick! Draw some stuff that actually made it into the movie!

TFA also had concept art that was way more interesting than anything that went into the actual movie.

It’s like Disney is willing to spend money to hire talented and creative artists but are too scared to actually go through with their designs.

Concept art is going to almost always look cooler than what is actually filmed because art looks better than reality for the most part. It's why costumes that look awesome in comic books and graphic novels can look hokey and ridiculous in when brought to the big screen without modification. If you pull the concept art for most big budget sci-fi flicks it will look amazing compared to the movie.

6 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I was kind of thinking that last night. Also this would have been an early draft in comparison to the actual production. There could have been multiple re-writes until many of the things we liked never even got filmed. 

Especially the Leia scenes since this first draft was written before Carrie Fisher died. Those would definitely have needed to be changed. 

I wonder how else Leia could have been handled. Maybe a full digital actor with a soundalike would have been better (if they also got more time to make sure the VFX are good). Writing scenes around cut footage from TFA probably wasn't the best idea. 

• Guillotine 1

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Do I even want to ask where these Obi Wan is canceled rumors came from?

Pretty sure it was that group “We Got This Covered” which has virtually no credibility. Seemingly they just make up rumors from fake sources.

On 1/18/2020 at 8:38 AM, Bacon said:

Most concept art is far more interesting. See: Any video game concept art. 

I know that. I know how concept art works.

But the TFA is embarrassing because it shows they actually had some really unique ideas before ultimately just aping the original trilogy.

1 hour ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

It's only a matter of time before Kathleen Kennedy is gonna want a picture of her own face on the $100 Disneyland dollar bills, AND STILL posters around these boards will defend her :lol:

Ah yes, any time something goes wrong with Star Wars, or something you don't like it's all her fault, but anytime there's something good to talk about like The Mandalorian, or the final season of The Clone Wars coming soon, no praise for her at all, she had nothing to do with it, because she is only ruining Star Wars. Grow up.

• Guillotine 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Brick said:

Ah yes, any time something goes wrong with Star Wars, or something you don't like it's all her fault, but anytime there's something good to talk about like The Mandalorian, or the final season of The Clone Wars coming soon, no praise for her at all, she had nothing to do with it, because she is only ruining Star Wars. Grow up.

Or you can just read the article and not be a jackass defender of hers?

We’re hearing that Lucasfilm president and Obi-Wan producer Kathleen Kennedy was not happy with the scripts.

Because you know, she was delighted with TLJ and look where that got us...

4 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

Apparently somebody does since they think she offers adult content that us man-babies can't appreciate :p

6 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

Apparently you can’t appreciate the content. :p 

anyways, that article, while compelling, is not exactly hard evidence. It isn’t Kennedy saying “I didn’t like the script, so it has been delayed.” The sources are anonymous. They could be anyone from a writer to the guy that changes the light bulbs. The script could be one of many reasons. Or not be a factor at all. Or the only reason. We don’t really know. 

We're waiting on Thursday's numbers, but day-to-date, here is where each movie stood as of Day 34 in theaters.

• The Force Awakens - $863,148,249
  • The Last Jedi - $596,867,242
  • Rogue One - $504,221,149
  • The Rise of Skywalker - $495,816,498
  • Solo - $204,414,703

Over $100 million separates TLJ from TRoS. Around $10 million separates Rogue One from TRoS. TFA was really the event of the decade in North America.

22 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I have absolutely no idea where you can go with a post-Revenge of the Sith/pre-A New Hope Kenobi miniseries to make it even remotely interesting.

Apparently the original scripts trod the same thematic ground as The Mandalorian.

There was a great book that's now Legends called Kenobi, and it was very much the same thematic ground as The Mandolorian. 

13 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So Obi Wan isn't cancelled, it's delayed indefinitely.

So cancelled...from a certain point of view.

24 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I have absolutely no idea where you can go with a post-Revenge of the Sith/pre-A New Hope Kenobi miniseries to make it even remotely interesting.

Apparently the original scripts trod the same thematic ground as The Mandalorian.

This seems to have been the big issue. The scripts might have been good, but if they were basically Mandaloria Part II (with Luke instead of baby yoda), then yeah, I can see why Lucasfilm would want to start over. The problem is that there aren't really many other interesting stories you can do that wouldn't involve Kenobi leaving the planet or doing things that would be noticed.

My preference would be a Seven Samurai-style plot. Have a town of moisture farmers be threatened by Jabba (or Jabba's father, Yabba) and his goons and ask Kenobi for help after seeing him save someone using the force (kid down a well or something, etc). Have him refuse, but eventually agree and start to round up misfits and others, eventually keeping the town safe. Yes, Mandalorian also did this common plot in one of its episodes, but I feel that Kenobi could do it over 4 or 6 episodes without it seeming too familiar. Also, the overriding emotional/character thread should be that Kenobi starts the series depressed and ashamed, but ends it realizing that there is still good in the galaxy, and that he can still affect positive change in small ways for ordinary people.

9 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

Or you can just read the article and not be a jackass defender of hers?

Ah yes, a "jackass defender" of hers rather than, what was it you used to say, Knights of Kathleen Kennedy, which makes a very nice initialism.  Very mature. 

Maybe she is putting it on hold because the show could use some more rewrites to ensure that when it does come out it's good, rather than rush it out and be disappointing, like how TROS was which should have been delayed longer. Almost as if she's learning from the mistakes of  Lucasfilm's past, and asserting quality control, the way a producer is supposed to do. I guess the misogynistic detractors of her though will still want to blame her for everything though because she doesn't know what she's doing, even though she's been an industry veteran for decades, and worked on the Goddamned original trilogy! Nope, clearly ruining Star Wars after bringing it back from the dead since, aside from The Clone Wars, Star Wars was pretty much dead. 

• Guillotine 1

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

We're waiting on Thursday's numbers, but day-to-date, here is where each movie stood as of Day 34 in theaters.

• The Force Awakens - $863,148,249
  • The Last Jedi - $596,867,242
  • Rogue One - $504,221,149
  • The Rise of Skywalker - $495,816,498
  • Solo - $204,414,703

Over $100 million separates TLJ from TRoS. Around $10 million separates Rogue One from TRoS. TFA was really the event of the decade in North America.

Really the only thing I see in those numbers is the slow decline in excitement for new star wars movies.  I think if they took a decade off (which won't happen again for a long time) you would see another large jump in excitement again.