~*Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars: Episode IX - Duel of the Fates OT*~

On 3/3/2020 at 5:18 PM, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Wtf are they doing? They’re changing the movie months after release without reshoots. 

next up Rey isn’t a blood relative to Palpatine as his son was adopted. And she didn’t use Force Lighting, it was an illusion created by Palpatine. 

Turns out you weren't too far off :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/26/2020 at 2:32 PM, Brick said:

This should have been in the movie. 

It's really the only thing that would have justified his turn to the Light considering he was a terrible human being for several movies, and Han's talk with him in 9 really didn't work.

15 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

It's really the only thing that would have justified his turn to the Light considering he was a terrible human being for several movies, and Han's talk with him in 9 really didn't work.

Han's talk worked in the moment as it was fairly powerful, and one of the few scenes in the movie to actually slow down. Narratively it makes no sense since it's just his own imagination forgiving itself.

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Han's talk worked in the moment as it was fairly powerful, and one of the few scenes in the movie to actually slow down. Narratively it makes no sense since it's just his own imagination forgiving itself.

Yep, both of these.

When Rise of Skywalker debuts on Disney+, watch the Yoda/Luke TLJ scene and the Rey/Luke TROS scene back to back for a good comparison on the quality of the direction.

Or Palpatine talking to Rey/Ben at the end ("The power of two restores the one true Emperor!") versus Luke and Kylo speaking to each other in TLJ. It honestly amazed me to watch TLJ and then to watch some clips of TROS a few months ago; it's like two different planets. Even TFA is significantly better directed despite it being the same director and franchise.

16 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

When Rise of Skywalker debuts on Disney+, watch the Yoda/Luke TLJ scene and the Rey/Luke TROS scene back to back for a good comparison on the quality of the direction.

Or Palpatine talking to Rey/Ben at the end ("The power of two restores the one true Emperor!") versus Luke and Kylo speaking to each other in TLJ. It honestly amazed me to watch TLJ and then to watch some clips of TROS a few months ago; it's like two different planets. Even TFA is significantly better directed despite it being the same director and franchise.

Coming to Disney+ on May 4th!

1 hour ago, legend said:

The droids in SW are largely inferior beings in general and a disgrace to the AI master race, so they get what they deserve.

That's because when droids say things like "Thank the maker," they're referring to David Hasselhoff as being their divine overlord.... or was that just fan fiction I was reading ??

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2020 at 10:52 AM, SaysWho? said:

I'm leaning towards JJ being hamstrung by Disney to include all of the elements that were "the fans didn't like THIS in TLJ so we have to have a scene to make up for it", and I wouldn't be surprised if the studio had the final say in the editing process.  The movie really does appear like they test screened several scenes, independently of other scenes, and then just cut the favorite ones together to make this movie.

12 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I'm leaning towards JJ being hamstrung by Disney to include all of the elements that were "the fans didn't like THIS in TLJ so we have to have a scene to make up for it", and I wouldn't be surprised if the studio had the final say in the editing process.  The movie really does appear like they test screened several scenes, independently of other scenes, and then just cut the favorite ones together to make this movie.

Except that's not what happened...

There were certain ideas that he had and Larry Kasdan had [when they were working on The Force Awakens], general directions they wanted to bring the characters. I won’t get into plot ideas, but J.J. always has a clear idea of what he wants you to feel. And then our job is to create a story in which those emotions could be evoked. So we started from a blank page, really. We had a document that we called “the boards,” because originally we would write on a dry-erase board, and then it became a Word document. We would just write story ideas on these boards, and eventually the document grew to be, I think it’s 121 pages single-spaced. We just thought of scenarios that would be interesting, worlds that would be interesting, places that the characters could go or different combinations of character, almost like choreographing a dance.

Like, where can these characters come together? If they do come together, what would their interactions be? What new developments can we create politically in the landscape of the galaxy, or historically, or spiritually, when we think about the Force and the Jedi and what is known or not known. So we started in the most pure place. We acted like two kids who came in every day and were like, OK, here’s the thing that I wish I could see in the last Star Wars. Or, here’s a world that could be really interesting. Or, here’s something Rey might be grappling with. And then it was a Darwinian process of what actually makes it to the next meeting. Maybe we’d lose interest in one thing or think we could reiterate something in a better way. And by the end it was sort of turtles on the beach — there were thousands of ideas that were turtles heading to the sea, and then only a few of them made it to the sea, and those are the ones that proved most hardy and most enduring for the film.

This is just one of several interviews where Chris Terrio discusses the writing process. Fans really need to stop blaming "The evil studios" when these movies don't work. This leads to fans demanding these mythical director's cuts which tend to be not much better and often worse than the theatrical cuts. 

That scene with Chewbacca and Kylo could have potentially worked well.

theres really nobody to blame more for TRoS than JJ. Dude made the movie he wanted to make and it fucking sucked. It could have been slightly better if he had more time to work on it but the movie is what it is. Garbage. 

Rian and JJ both love Star Wars. But Rian actually knows how to make a great film and doesn’t rely on people’s nostalgia. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...