~~ CEB Community Thread ~~

7 hours ago, Chris- said:

That angle makes it look like you skip leg day though

It’s that downsizing, fuck calf training. Words can not express how much I hate calf training so I haven’t since I stopped competing. Even when I competed I hated training them as I rarely saw calves be a discussion point of the judges. I did so many dumb things I didn’t want to do while I was competing. 😂

Got an offer to open a Chase Sapphire card that includes:

- 60,000 points if I spend $4,000 in the first three months

- 10% in bonus points every year based on the previous year's spending

I'm thinking of opening it up to pay my rent every month, since even though there is a monthly fee ($95) and my landlord's portal charges a 2.3% service fee for credit card payments, I'd still net out around $2,000/year (and obviously more in year one given the initial 60k boost). Going full @Jason mode.

2 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

My sapphire is one of my favorite cards and the one I nearly exclusively use abroad. That alone would be enough reason for me to open one honestly and the travel portal has some uses too.

Is there a catch because the 10% anniversary bonus seems too good to be true.

10 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

My sapphire is one of my favorite cards and the one I nearly exclusively use abroad. That alone would be enough reason for me to open one honestly and the travel portal has some uses too.

i feel like it's lost it's usefulness over time, the points are worth less and less in my experience. i also don't live in the bay anymore so i think the deals through SFO were probably better - since i'm in dallas i've been getting more usage out of a citi American Airlines card

Just now, Chris- said:

Screen_Shot_2017_08_29_at_4.27.44_PM.png

daddy needs 

MAGNANNI.COM

The Lizandro is an athletic version of our original classic trainer. The Lizandro is made from our supple calfskin leather and accented with perforated details on the toe and side panel to create a low-profile sport sneaker for all occasions. Attention to detail continues to the sole with added grip for traction and a hand-stitched leather toe accent.

32 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Not to my knowledge no, just the normal cc catches. I use the portal for local hotels and it’s how I got to Costa Rica too.

23 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

i feel like it's lost it's usefulness over time, the points are worth less and less in my experience. i also don't live in the bay anymore so i think the deals through SFO were probably better - since i'm in dallas i've been getting more usage out of a citi American Airlines card

I only use the points for travel never cash back etc, gf has a United card so we book a lot with that and fiancé has a sapphire as well, one of us will eventually get an Amex.

3 hours ago, TUFKAK said:

Not to my knowledge no, just the normal cc catches. I use the portal for local hotels and it’s how I got to Costa Rica too.

I only use the points for travel never cash back etc, gf has a United card so we book a lot with that and fiancé has a sapphire as well, one of us will eventually get an Amex.

I do Hotels & Car Rentals typically. When I went to Japan I paid $15.00 for 2 weeks of hotels! Sometimes I've paid nothing, sometimes Points + Cash, I just find that Hotels cost more points now. What used to be ~8,000/night is now ~23,000 night

but maybe that's the affect of inflation+revenge travel 

3 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

I do Hotels & Car Rentals typically. When I went to Japan I paid $15.00 for 2 weeks of hotels! Sometimes I've paid nothing, sometimes Points + Cash, I just find that Hotels cost more points now. What used to be ~8,000/night is now ~23,000 night

but maybe that's the affect of inflation+revenge travel 

Can’t speak to that. 

My standard is this. 

Use my freedom for every daily purchase, outside of quarterly benefits for my discover, and recurring bills. Transfer those points to my sapphire. I book hotels, flights etc through the portal but pay with cash to get the 5x rewards and then use those accumulated points for a flight somewhere. Points paid for my flight to Fiji for instance, I’d rather spend money via the portal for hotels and rental cars I book through hertz so much it’s no longer a concern of mine.

• Halal 1

23 hours ago, Chris- said:

The points dividend was something they offered a long time ago when they first started the card but was also like the first benefit they dropped. I'm shocked they brought it back again.

I'm fairly deep in the Ultimate Rewards ecosystem and have four cards that I use. Sapphire Reserved being the primary, a basic card, and two business cards. I tend to apply for a new card whenever I have a large purchase coming up to take advantage of any sign up bonuses.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

The points dividend was something they offered a long time ago when they first started the card but was also like the first benefit they dropped. I'm shocked they brought it back again.

I'm fairly deep in the Ultimate Rewards ecosystem and have four cards that I use. Sapphire Reserved being the primary, a basic card, and two business cards. I tend to apply for a new card whenever I have a large purchase coming up to take advantage of any sign up bonuses.

I went ahead and got it - even if it went away the initial 60k promo is worth it. If/when they ditch it I'll just close it out, but until then it makes sense to get it and make it my primary card. At my spending level it will more or less equal a round trip flight to Europe, and that's huge in terms of future travel plans.

Just now, ThreePi said:

Yeah, I have something like $4500 saved up in UR points that can be used for travel. Worth a bit less if I cash it out. Some people are crazy with optimizing credit card rewards if you ever check out r/churning.

The points guy too, at least that’s where I learned a lot. But I am not about to devote that much energy to optimizing points either ya know.

About to take a massive risk. I have a pretty big gash on my leg, puncture wound from a few weeks ago that is still healing, this is the last night of good weather here in Fiji and I’ve been staying out of the water as a result of this wound. Tomorrow storms are moving in so no more bright sunny days here before I leave.

I didn’t come to the South Pacific to not go in the ocean. I’ve cleaned the wound, applied water phobic topicals and covered with a Tegaderm. I’m gonna jump in and be out in less than a minute then I immediately wound care and clean again. But, if you guys don’t hear from me in a few days I developed a vero infection and died. Enjoy president trump 😂

• Hugs 2
  • Hype 2

1 hour ago, TUFKAK said:

About to take a massive risk. I have a pretty big gash on my leg, puncture wound from a few weeks ago that is still healing, this is the last night of good weather here in Fiji and I’ve been staying out of the water as a result of this wound. Tomorrow storms are moving in so no more bright sunny days here before I leave.

I didn’t come to the South Pacific to not go in the ocean. I’ve cleaned the wound, applied water phobic topicals and covered with a Tegaderm. I’m gonna jump in and be out in less than a minute then I immediately wound care and clean again. But, if you guys don’t hear from me in a few days I developed a vero infection and died. Enjoy president trump 😂

When my wife and I were in Vietnam a few years back there was a show on TV that we’d catch while unwinding in the hotels called something like “The Monster Inside Me” about people who got mysterious parasitic ailments. It cracked us up because the show played it off like what was happening was some huge mystery and then in the last ten minutes the person goes, “then I told my doctor I went swimming in a vernal pool of stagnant water in sub Saharan Africa and submerged my head several times,” or, “I asked my doctor if it might be related to the raw, freshwater crabs I ate at a wet market in Laos.”

This doesn’t sound like it but this is my way of saying you’ll be fine, just don’t do wound care with uncooked Fijian tripe or something. :p 

• Haha 3

All the teachers in my province just voted to authorize job action (95% of teachers voted in favour). All teachers in the province are in a single union, negotiating with the government. As a manager in IT, I am out of scope, and have been told I may be called in to supervise children. I am consulting an employment lawyer about this. I may have no legal recourse in terms of crossing a picket line (being out of scope), but I have no training of any kind to monitor/supervise children, other than having no criminal record. It is incredibly outside my job duties/description.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

All the teachers in my province just voted to authorize job action (95% of teachers voted in favour). All teachers in the province are in a single union, negotiating with the government. As a manager in IT, I am out of scope, and have been told I may be called in to supervise children. I am consulting an employment lawyer about this. I may have no legal recourse in terms of crossing a picket line (being out of scope), but I have no training of any kind to monitor/supervise children, other than having no criminal record. It is incredibly outside my job duties/description.

They want you -- an IT professional -- to do WHAT?!?!?

• True 1

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

They want you -- an IT professional -- to do WHAT?!?!?

Yep! The first job action is likely to be work-to-rule, where teachers will stop all outside-the-classroom activities, such as extra-curricular sports, band, marking, etc. This would include recess and lunchtime supervision. That is what we are being told we would need to fill in for. So no educational, in-class activities, but still supervising children. But what am I supposed to do if two kids get into a fight? Supervise the fight? I have no idea.

If there is a full strike, then schools will be closed entirely.

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

But what am I supposed to do if two kids get into a fight? Supervise the fight? I have no idea.

That's basically what the Sub did in High School English when two girls got into a fight, he just watched as the guys attempted to pull them apart. 

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

I am consulting an employment lawyer about this. I may have no legal recourse in terms of crossing a picket line (being out of scope), but I have no training of any kind to monitor/supervise children, other than having no criminal record. It is incredibly outside my job duties/description.

Don't you need credentials for that?

Man Canadians are dumb!

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Be like jasper

the simpsons paddle GIF

• Haha 1

A question for those who are more investment savvy and don't mind sharing:

Other than the obvious potential risk with any investment, can anyone think of a reason not to invest some or all of the money from my HSA which is above my health insurance's annual maximum out of pocket amount (I believe around $2200)? My HSA management company offers a few different investment options (e.g. mutual funds). I checked and it isn't tied to my employer (i.e. I'd take it with me if I left), and from what I'm reading it seems like you can sell off your investments and get your money back within a couple of business days if you needed it suddenly.

I'm not really seeing a ton of down sides to it, and most of the articles and such I've seen from googling seem to be pretty strongly in favor of it (the phrase "triple tax-advantaged" comes up a lot :p), but I wanted to check with a knowledgeable community I trust. :hug:

4 hours ago, Nokra said:

A question for those who are more investment savvy and don't mind sharing:

Other than the obvious potential risk with any investment, can anyone think of a reason not to invest some or all of the money from my HSA which is above my health insurance's annual maximum out of pocket amount (I believe around $2200)? My HSA management company offers a few different investment options (e.g. mutual funds). I checked and it isn't tied to my employer (i.e. I'd take it with me if I left), and from what I'm reading it seems like you can sell off your investments and get your money back within a couple of business days if you needed it suddenly.

I'm not really seeing a ton of down sides to it, and most of the articles and such I've seen from googling seem to be pretty strongly in favor of it (the phrase "triple tax-advantaged" comes up a lot :p), but I wanted to check with a knowledgeable community I trust. :hug:

Honestly no, other than the standard caveat that if you use the money for things other than health expenses it gets taxed as income which then means it’s not as liquid as other vehicles you can use, but the tax advantages if used right are amazing.

I personally don’t use one but that’s due to personal reasons most don’t have, high income govt employee with fantastic healthcare plus no dependents.

• Thanks 1

@thewhyteboar

For whatever reason the past several months I decided to start learning Korean using Duolingo. The program kind of throws you in the deep end though and teaches you words that are written in hangul and while I made a bit of progress just learning the sound of the word and associating it with the letters, ultimately I felt I wasn't going to go anywhere if I couldn't actually read the word properly.

But they have a system in there to learn the letters and learning them has been pretty fun. It's an interesting plug and play system. It feels like if you have the basics you can read most thing. Basically consonants like d (ㄷ) mixed with vowels like a (ㅏ) make da (다) and so on. But I feel like they change the rules halfway through for odd reasons. Like "Wi" (ㅟ)  looks like "u and i" (ㅜㅣ) but actual "ui" (ㅢ) looks like Eu I (ㅡ ㅣ)

Then you have constants that change their sound based on the sound before it or even some words that have two consonants and drop the one before it for some reason like:

Eon, spelled o (silent) eo n ja (ㅇ ㅓ ㄴ ㅈ) =  얹 but the ja at the end not pronounced, seems odd, but then there are words that are the opposite where the consonant at the end is pronounced and the one before it is not. People say English is hard but it feels like Korean breaks their rules all the time.

In any case, wild stuff man.

200.gif

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Eon, spelled o (silent) eo n ja (ㅇ ㅓ ㄴ ㅈ) =  얹 but the ja at the end not pronounced, seems odd, but then there are words that are the opposite where the consonant at the end is pronounced and the one before it is not. People say English is hard but it feels like Korean breaks their rules all the time.

I'm no expert (of course), but a lot of that depends if there is a vowel in the next syllable or a consonant. So take 앉, the ㅈ will get moved to the next syllable if it starts with a vowel. So 앉아, the ㅈ sound gets moved to the second syllable and gets pronounced there. So it would be pronounced like "안/자" (an/ja).

• Thanks 1