~~ CEB Community Thread ~~

33 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Ouch. Water leak? Or what happened?

Soft plug in the drain caused a back up in the down stairs half bath, water poured all over the downstairs from there. 

Previous homeowners put in this faux hardwood that got warped, not terrible so imma leave it alone until I replace the entire downstairs but the interior half bath walls need demo and replaced for sure.

Sub zero temps here in Chicagoland. My girlfriend's hot water pipes to her upstairs bathroom froze. This happened last year for her and her landlord put in new insulation, but it clearly hasn't helped. So she's got no way to take a hot shower at home and when it warms up a bit on Wednesday there's a fear that the pipes will thaw and start leaking if they burst.

• Shocked 1

39 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Sub zero temps here in Chicagoland. My girlfriend's hot water pipes to her upstairs bathroom froze. This happened last year for her and her landlord put in new insulation, but it clearly hasn't helped. So she's got no way to take a hot shower at home and when it warms up a bit on Wednesday there's a fear that the pipes will thaw and start leaking if they burst.

Yikes, frozen pipes are no joke. Yesterday we had the coldest day in 30 years. Today it's not much better, I think -35C (-31F), but is -45C with the wind chill (-49F). Everyone here has insulated homes with good natural gas furnaces, but even still you see frozen pipes if they are right near exterior walls. Despite this, my wife walked to work this morning, 4km in total. Total nutcase, lol.

• Hype 1

My mail got stolen in December with a credit card in it. They used the credit card to get two charges through before Amex flagged the third one as fraudulent. I initiated filing a police report because this isn't the first time I've had my mail stolen and it resulted in a credit card getting stolen and used. But then I never followed through on it because I didn't really think the cops would actually do anything about it and I didn't need a police report to simply dispute a couple of charges as fraudulent.

Then today as I'm leaving work I see an email from Experian about a $4,000 balance on "your new credit card account" that I didn't open. So this is lovely. I think the thief at least doesn't have my social security number and that this is from the mail theft and not one of the various Equifax type breaches I've been in based on the sorts of really junky accounts they went for. One was with a chain of jewelry stores with a fuckton of identity theft complaints about it online, the other was with Bass Pro Shop. The jewelry store in particular I can imagine them pushing a credit application through without an SSN given the volume of identity theft complaints about them and how they advertise themselves on "Financing options for everyone. Get approved regardless of credit."

On 1/15/2024 at 12:33 PM, CitizenVectron said:

Yikes, frozen pipes are no joke. Yesterday we had the coldest day in 30 years. Today it's not much better, I think -35C (-31F), but is -45C with the wind chill (-49F). Everyone here has insulated homes with good natural gas furnaces, but even still you see frozen pipes if they are right near exterior walls. Despite this, my wife walked to work this morning, 4km in total. Total nutcase, lol.

It's been a few days, hitting temps in the teens during the day but still around 0 overnight. But she was able to get the pipes thawed and no apparent leaking. So, dodged a bullet there. Should be back above freezing next week.

9 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

It's been a few days, hitting temps in the teens during the day but still around 0 overnight. But she was able to get the pipes thawed and no apparent leaking. So, dodged a bullet there. Should be back above freezing next week.

Nice. One good tip is to keep at least one tap running at a trickle at all times,.it prevents freezing.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I don't think I'm going to have one, simply because I've dealt with existential angst/nihilism for most of my adult life. 

I had a bit because I was annoyed I still looked bad and realized I spent so much time on something I didn’t achieve. But I got over it real quick.

6 hours ago, TUFKAK said:

I had a bit because I was annoyed I still looked bad and realized I spent so much time on something I didn’t achieve. But I got over it real quick.

I still definitely get the sads when I look in the mirror and realize I am older than I feel, and the occasional "hey, I should be able to do this physically, why am I having troubles?" However, all things considered I am still in great shape, which I credit to my faux-Mormon lifestyle, lol. I've never drank, never smoked, eat fairly healthy, get exercise (lots of walking + cardio), and also I have danced 5-10 hours a week my whole life. Next week I am performing on stage with the National Ballet of Ukraine when they perform in Canada! :o 

• Like 2
  • Halal 1

My dad has been leasing Acura TL and TLX models for 12+ years now (previously he was a Saab guy), and I talked him into checking out Genesis and the G70 (basically had to drag him to the dealership kicking & screaming) after I saw how lacking the 2024 TLX “update” was: rain sensing wipers and heated steering wheel require the Type S trim ffs, when he just wanted a FWD base or AWD (AWD now requires the A-Spec trim for $5k+ more). He absolutely fell in love with the G70 2.5t as soon as he got behind the wheel and couldn’t believe how much better it was over his 2021 TLX in how it drove, not to mention the insanely better material quality of the interior. He went in looking at the new 2.5t 4 cylinder (300hp i4) base or Advanced trim w/AWD, but they offered him an insane deal on an outgoing 2023 3.3T Sport Prestige (365hp dual-turbo V6) that somehow leased cheaper than the 2024 2.5T with the same amount down. Before committing he wanted to go to his Acura dealership just to see (“out of loyalty”) and the manager there (a friend of his) said that he couldn’t get anywhere near that lease price on even the base FWD 2024 Acura TLX, then when the manager looked at the trim/specs of the G70 he realized it was the one that the Type S competes with and literally told my dad “go get that Genesis now before they sell it to someone else at that price” :lol:

10 minutes ago, ort said:

I don't know where to put this, but didn't we used to have a thread about Trumps ongoing legal problems? Did it disappear or am I losing my mind?

You must have caught his syphilis. RIP in peace.

On 1/25/2024 at 11:25 AM, Spork3245 said:

My dad has been leasing Acura TL and TLX models for 12+ years now (previously he was a Saab guy), and I talked him into checking out Genesis and the G70 (basically had to drag him to the dealership kicking & screaming) after I saw how lacking the 2024 TLX “update” was: rain sensing wipers and heated steering wheel require the Type S trim ffs, when he just wanted a FWD base or AWD (AWD now requires the A-Spec trim for $5k+ more). He absolutely fell in love with the G70 2.5t as soon as he got behind the wheel and couldn’t believe how much better it was over his 2021 TLX in how it drove, not to mention the insanely better material quality of the interior. He went in looking at the new 2.5t 4 cylinder (300hp i4) base or Advanced trim w/AWD, but they offered him an insane deal on an outgoing 2023 3.3T Sport Prestige (365hp dual-turbo V6) that somehow leased cheaper than the 2024 2.5T with the same amount down. Before committing he wanted to go to his Acura dealership just to see (“out of loyalty”) and the manager there (a friend of his) said that he couldn’t get anywhere near that lease price on even the base FWD 2024 Acura TLX, then when the manager looked at the trim/specs of the G70 he realized it was the one that the Type S competes with and literally told my dad “go get that Genesis now before they sell it to someone else at that price” :lol:

IMG-8527.jpg
IMG-8529.jpg
IMG-8530.jpg

15 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

IMG-8527.jpg
IMG-8529.jpg
IMG-8530.jpg

(Preempting this post by acknowledging I know that no one gives a shit about cars here :p ) It’s insane how well equipped this car is considering the sticker price. Adaptive cruise control with stop and go, 360 camera, HUD, ventilated and heated seats, heated steering wheel (with two settings), adaptive suspension/dampers with radar road detection (in comfort/smart modes it detects road conditions 1000x/second and adjusts based on road conditions to keep the ride as smooth as possible), active exhaust system, rain sensing wipers, lane keep assist, lane centering assist, dual side blind spot cameras that pop into the digital gauge cluster when you have a turn signal on, remote start, power trunk, etc. Also has concierge service included for the lifetime of the vehicle, as well as the phone app that lets you start the car & adjust climate, lock/unlock, open/close windows & sunroof, change vehicle settings, send destinations to the navigation, etc, and includes all maintenance (oil changes, filters, tire rotation, etc) for the entirety of the lease including valet service (they pick up the car and drop off a loaner, after service they hand detail the car, fill your gas tank, and give you a box of Godiva chocolate :lol:).

It’s just an insane value for price.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

(Preempting this post by acknowledging I know that no one gives a shit about cars here :p ) It’s insane how well equipped this car is considering the sticker price. Adaptive cruise control with stop and go, 360 camera, HUD, ventilated and heated seats, heated steering wheel (with two settings), adaptive suspension/dampers with radar road detection (in comfort/smart modes it detects road conditions 1000x/second and adjusts based on road conditions to keep the ride as smooth as possible), active exhaust system, rain sensing wipers, lane keep assist, lane centering assist, dual side blind spot cameras that pop into the digital gauge cluster when you have a turn signal on, remote start, power trunk, etc. Also has concierge service included for the lifetime of the vehicle, as well as the phone app that lets you change settings, start the car & adjust climate, lock/unlock, open/close windows & sunroof, change settings, send destinations to the navigation, etc, and includes all maintenance (oil changes, filters, tire rotation, etc) for the entirety of the lease including valet service (they pick up the car and drop off a loaner, after service they hand detail the car, fill your gas tank, and give you a box of Godiva chocolate :lol:).

It’s just an insane value for price.

Ahem

no one gives a shit about cars here

My guy, I have an Alfa Romeo banner in my garage 😂

27 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

Also my Giulia is that blue color 

🥰

I liked the i4 Giulia that I drove in 2018 in terms of handling, performance and road feel, and I loved the Quadrifoglio a lot more, BUT, the tech was behind others in the price range (even my Mustang) and I didn’t trust the sales guy when the first thing he stated was “reliability isn’t a problem on any modern car these days” when I didn’t ask :lol:

Regardless, I always loved the look, but damn them for not putting the new 8c out and dragging their feet :p 

24 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I liked the i4 Giulia that I drove in 2018 in terms of handling, performance and road feel, and I loved the Quadrifoglio a lot more, BUT, the tech was behind others in the price range (even my Mustang) and I didn’t trust the sales guy when the first thing he stated was “reliability isn’t a problem on any modern car these days” when I didn’t ask :lol:

Regardless, I always loved the look, but damn them for not putting the new 8c out and dragging their feet :p 

So I’m no Enzo but, I’ve been on the track in Sonoma vs other cars, they can keep up in the straights but I dust them in the corners and that’s where racing is done. Nothing handles like my Italian gf. My claim was outside passing a mustang who was trying way too hard to not let that happen 😉

im nearly 60k on my Giulia and my only issues have been non Alfa parts, a battery fails that’s not on the car.

I’ll take 151 over a touch screen center console, I’m still an analog kid.

37 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

So I’m no Enzo but, I’ve been on the track in Sonoma vs other cars, they can keep up in the straights but I dust them in the corners and that’s where racing is done. Nothing handles like my Italian gf. My claim was outside passing a mustang who was trying way too hard to not let that happen 😉

im nearly 60k on my Giulia and my only issues have been non Alfa parts, a battery fails that’s not on the car.

I’ll take 151 over a touch screen center console, I’m still an analog kid.

Like I said, I liked the Giulia, but unless you have the Quadrifoglio it would depend on what year that Mustang was and whether or not it was a GT. For the modern Mustangs, there’s a huge difference between the 2015-2017 and the 2018-2023 (even the 2021-2023 are a bit different than the 2018-2020). The 2015-2017 GT was 435hp and ran a 4.5ish 0-60, the 2018-2020 had what was basically an entirely new engine outside of the crankshaft that claimed 465hp but dynos showed it likely being 500-515hp with a 3.8 0-60 and magnaride dampers on the performance pack that make it monstrous on turns, in 2021 new regulations made them have to change the air intakes that dropped hp to what’s seemingly an actual 465 and performance dropped to a 4.1-4.2 0-60 for most people (unless you went into the tubing and removed the carbon filters :p ). Nurburgring time on the 2018s is 7:58, the GT350 pulls it in 7:15, the Quadrifoglio pulls 7:29. Pre-2015 Mustangs couldn’t handle for shit.

I had a 2013, 2016, and currently a 2019 GT, and all 3 cars are night and day from each other.

The tech department wasn’t the touch screen, the Giulia already had an infotainment. I remember it not having adaptive cruise, no digital gauge cluster, and no lane keeping assist. I don’t recall if it also was missing rain sensing wipers or not.