~~ CEB Community Thread ~~

8 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

So you know that it's doable! You got this.

It's just frustrating, because I've been here before.

I make good progress, only for some big shift or event in my life to happen (lose my job, fine a new one, move out, coronavirus, whatever), knock me out of my routine, and I have to start all over again.  I just want some stability in my life damn it.

I did my first political stream on Twitch today, and at one point some guy argued with me, saying he disagreed with my take on Joe Biden. I responded that I never mentioned Joe Biden or was discussing him. He said he still disagreed with me on Joe Biden.

I think I was actually talking about the spread of Coronavirus in Florida at the time. So yeah, I totally get why he disagreed with my take on Joe Biden.

• Haha 3

So, I have that one student who finished one test out of five and didn't turn in the required essay who just asked me: "What can I do to pass this class?" I was in the middle of posting grades when she wrote.
I want to respond with "Do you have a DeLorean and a flux capacitor?"
  • Haha 4

Anyone else noticing things just hanging when you try to click through to Wikipedia from Google search results? Wikipedia still works if I go directly there so it's definitely not a problem with my connection to Wikipedia.

My brother works for a defense contractor and he told me tonight I can no longer text him because I am way too unamerican and it could cost him his job. So to be clear, he thinks this defense contractor is triangulating cell phone towers and is going to fire him because his brother, not him!, is saying that the USA is a third-world country.

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Jose said:

So to be clear, he thinks this defense contractor is triangulating cell phone towers and is going to fire him because his brother, not him!, is saying that the USA is a third-world country.

I'm stringing together a couple of assumptions here, but he presumably has a security clearance that his job is contingent upon keeping, so he's probably worried about the government snooping on his cellular communications to determine whether they should revoke his clearance. Probably kind of crazy, but not as crazy as worrying about the employer doing the surveillance.

Awesome, it seems my ex has hit her "randomly show up outside your door at 11:30 PM" phase. She was blowing up both my phone and my doorbell for a solid 30-40 minutes. I mostly just ignored all of it, but finally sent her a text that I'm calling the police if my doorbell rings again and she didn't even acknowledge that part, she was just pissy I'd been home but didn't answer the door. :/

On top of all the other obvious reasons not to open the door in that situation, I know she's been being irresponsible with COVID, so um yeah no fucking way does letting her in seem like a good idea from ANY angle. 

28 minutes ago, Jason said:

Awesome, it seems my ex has hit her "randomly show up outside your door at 11:30 PM" phase. She was blowing up both my phone and my doorbell for a solid 30-40 minutes. I mostly just ignored all of it, but finally sent her a text that I'm calling the police if my doorbell rings again and she didn't even acknowledge that part, she was just pissy I'd been home but didn't answer the door. :/

On top of all the other obvious reasons not to open the door in that situation, I know she's been being irresponsible with COVID, so um yeah no fucking way does letting her in seem like a good idea from ANY angle. 

Aww, she must really care! :p 

She's not doing you or her any favors by not keeping distance, whatever the reasons for the breakup. That sucks man, sorry you're going through a breakup, let alone one that is like that. 

5 minutes ago, Nokra said:

She's not doing you or her any favors by not keeping distance, whatever the reasons for the breakup. That sucks man, sorry you're going through a breakup, let alone one that is like that. 

She tried to rope me into meeting up with her last weekend for a walk, which I was kind of tempted to do mostly just because I'm getting sick of sitting in my apartment by myself, but I declined and then at around 1:30 in the morning she sent me a longwinded text where it seemed like she was basically just trying to justify her end of things. So presumably that's what she'd wanted to talk about in person last Sunday, which made me doubly happy that I declined. Seeing her in and of itself might be fine but not if she wants to have another emotional conversation about the breakup.

On 7/8/2020 at 9:57 PM, Jose said:

My brother works for a defense contractor and he told me tonight I can no longer text him because I am way too unamerican and it could cost him his job. So to be clear, he thinks this defense contractor is triangulating cell phone towers and is going to fire him because his brother, not him!, is saying that the USA is a third-world country.

Tell him Joe McCarthy would be proud.

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

After 20 hours my first Civ game ended in defeat. :( ‘Twas a hell of a match though, came close to getting a Cultural victory but China settled on Mars a bit before I could. 

Which Civ is this, the newest one? Last one I played was Civ 5. The thing that gets me is that I always really enjoy the first 1/3 of the game (exploring, contact, etc) and then get bored when it just turns into a military game. I don't think I've ever actually finished a game, even after 100+ hours of play. The only time I've come close is with a mod that freezes development in the middle-ages. 

21 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Which Civ is this, the newest one? Last one I played was Civ 5. The thing that gets me is that I always really enjoy the first 1/3 of the game (exploring, contact, etc) and then get bored when it just turns into a military game. I don't think I've ever actually finished a game, even after 100+ hours of play. The only time I've come close is with a mod that freezes development in the middle-ages. 

The problem with later-game Civ is that when you're playing against the AI, 99% of the time you're either steamrolling the AI or the AI is steamrolling you with it very rarely landing on you being relatively evenly matched with the AI. It doesn't help that the AI doesn't really understand how to use the new combat mechanics they introduced in V, but you also had the same basic problem before V too.

But if you can get a human multiplayer game going (anyone interested?) it can be a lot more engaging.

56 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

VI on the Switch. Mine wasn’t too military-driven; ended up losing via Science while chasing a Cultural victory. From what I can tell, a domination victory would be pretty tough to achieve, so I get the sense most matches will be pretty well balanced. 

7 minutes ago, Chris- said:

From what I can tell, a domination victory would be pretty tough to achieve, so I get the sense most matches will be pretty well balanced. 

Again, the AI is terrible at using the new combat system. It's not particularly hard to outmaneuver the AI with an inferior force by making strategic use of the combat system.

The only game I can remember having that felt truly competitive against the AI was playing V as Venice while Spain was way ahead of me on getting airplanes. Being able to use my insane gold yield to just constantly spam SAM infantry units was the only thing that made me remotely competitive with Spain--that and being able to exploit the AI by holding my units back to force the airplanes forward to suicide against the SAM infantry until the airplanes were all finally gone so that I could run cavalry and tanks in.

Just now, sblfilms said:

I got Civ 4 and legit played it 20 hours straight the first day I had it. 

I can’t have that sort of thing in my life.

I definitely had "one more turn, one more turn...fuck, why is the sun coming up?" moments back in the Civ II and III days.

And Steam says I have 300 hours on Beyond the Sword...and I eventually double-dipped on getting BtS on a Steam sale so it wasn't even accounting for all the probably 300 other hours I'd put on the CD version.

On 7/12/2020 at 9:57 AM, Nokra said:

So also, it occurred me just now that I'm still on a group text with her. The girl who runs the group text is aware that we're broken up because she texted my ex a couple of days ago asking how we're doing, and my ex responded with an honest answer that we've been broken up for about a month (I'm sure this means the rest of the group knows by know, and I'm still upset about having telling everyone else about it myself swiped out from under me, but I guess I can't really be angry when she just answered what she was asked and didn't proactively decide to tell the mutual friend about it). I think I need to text the mutual friend to ask her to start a new group text without my ex (because I don't want to block her while she's still on a mutual group text with me, don't see how it's a good idea to still be involved in a conversation that involves her while not seeing what she's saying) but I'm pretty sure my ex told her we're trying to be amicable about the breakup, so I don't see how the request makes sense without explaining what happened Saturday night. :/ Not gonna send anything until at least tomorrow but not looking forward to having to try to hit the right tone on this one.

11 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

I need to get a new computer. My current one makes Civ 6 a slog. 

Civ is usually more CPU bound than anything else (hence why it tends to go quickly in the early game and start bogging down in the late game).

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I definitely had "one more turn, one more turn...fuck, why is the sun coming up?" moments back in the Civ II and III days.

And Steam says I have 300 hours on Beyond the Sword...and I eventually double-dipped on getting BtS on a Steam sale so it wasn't even accounting for all the probably 300 other hours I'd put on the CD version.

I loved playing as the Dutch on Civ IV and rushing to the New World.