~~ CEB Community Thread ~~

13 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

I loved playing as the Dutch on Civ IV and rushing to the New World.

My favorite in Civ V was playing Venice, rushing religion, founding Judaism, picking the religion perk that gave you gold for every city where your religion was the majority religion, and then spamming Judaism across the world as hard as I could.

Spoiler

Yes, it was 100% just a long-winded Merchants of Venice joke, but Venice was also completely OP if you could ramp up your gold production early. 

• Haha 3

On 7/14/2020 at 12:05 AM, Jason said:

My favorite in Civ V was playing Venice, rushing religion, founding Judaism, picking the religion perk that gave you gold for every city where your religion was the majority religion, and then spamming Judaism across the world as hard as I could.

Reveal hidden contents

Yes, it was 100% just a long-winded Merchants of Venice joke, but Venice was also completely OP if you could ramp up your gold production early. 

That's great. Civ VI and the way it handles religion is kind of weird. They're all just names that are completely divorced from traits that you bolt onto them separately. I get why they do that, but it's an odd choice that "Catholicism" can be whatever you want / is available... but those Maori sure do know how to sail and Nubians can work the shit out of their mines!

Unrelated to Civ VI... there's someone I'm friends with on social media who over the last few months has gone DEEP on Q shit. It's so bizarre to watch play out in real time. It used to be "Epstein didn't kill himself" meme / shitposting but it's transitioned into full-on, "Wayfair is actually trafficking children through the mail, Trump is setting the stage for mass arrests, and we'll finally have the truth about pizzagate," lunacy. Seeing this person alienate most of their friends in the interest of an ever smaller pool of true believers is so troubling to watch.

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

That's great. Civ VI and the way it handles religion is kind of weird. They're all just names that are completely divorced from traits that you bolt onto them separately. I get why they do that, but it's an odd choice that "Catholicism" can be whatever you want / is available... but those Maori sure do know how to sail and Nubians can work the shit out of their mines!

In Civ IV religion was even more generic and interchangeable. It's just about avoiding getting people pissed off at them for doing anything that could even remotely seem like saying one religion is better than another.

Just now, Jason said:

In Civ IV religion was even more generic and interchangeable. It's just about avoiding getting people pissed off at them for doing anything that could even remotely seem like saying one religion is better than another.

Oh yeah, 100%. It's odd that the national characteristics have endured since you could say the same thing about nationalities, ethnicities, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Y’all ever order anything from Wayfair? I ordered a patio set a week ago and they put a pending charge on my credit card...A few days ago it disappeared and I thought, ‘Oh, it’s probably going to show up as final once it ships’. Well it shipped yesterday and Wayfair’s invoice shows my payment was completed yesterday, even though it isn’t on my credit card in any fashion. So I’m curious if they just have a natural delay or they are mailing me a $350 patio set for free. 

17 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Y’all ever order anything from Wayfair? I ordered a patio set a week ago and they put a pending charge on my credit card...A few days ago it disappeared and I thought, ‘Oh, it’s probably going to show up as final once it ships’. Well it shipped yesterday and Wayfair’s invoice shows my payment was completed yesterday, even though it isn’t on my credit card in any fashion. So I’m curious if they just have a natural delay or they are mailing me a $350 patio set for free. 

That's really strange. We ordered a chair and was send via FedEx and it was put on the truck for delivery no less than 8 times before we called and finally got them to actually deliver it. No issue with billing though.

36 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I have been looking for a bed for a while and decided to take the plunge during the pandemic. I noticed the same thing--it was more money than I expected, and it hadn't shown up on my credit card yet. But when it was delivered, it was a weird shaped box with this eight year old kid in it named Humberto. There must have been some mistake, so I shipped it back and hit up customer service. They reversed the charge and the credit card bill still shows no charge. I guess everything is fine though. I'm keeping watch. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

That's really strange. We ordered a chair and was send via FedEx and it was put on the truck for delivery no less than 8 times before we called and finally got them to actually deliver it. No issue with billing though.

Yeah and this is on my Chase card, who is normally super quick to post final charges. The only thing I can think of is that the pending charge hit on the day my statement was posting, so maybe it fell through on Chase’s end?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank god I got an air conditioner for my bedroom yesterday. This is insanity (daytime high in the 70s, nighttime low in the 60s is more normal for here).

image.png

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=34.0116&lon=-118.4923

That's at the airport, so if you click the map closer to the beach where I am the daytime high is a little lower, but that nightime low Saturday and Sunday is the same.

56 minutes ago, mrbiggsly said:

That's essentially what I had to live with from mid-June to mid-August. Bring back winter I want it to hurt when I breathe again

16 minutes ago, CayceG said:

That's essentially what I live with from April to October. Get fucked, California. 

9 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

Even in Michigan we get long stretches of 90+ weather every summer now. 

I'm guessing all of you live places where it's standard for housing to have air conditioning.

I'm not complaining about being outside while it's that hot, I'm complaining about having to be inside without air conditioning (in apartments designed to retain heat because 50 years ago before climate change that's what was more important) while it's that hot.

On 8/14/2020 at 5:47 AM, Chris- said:

the couple of times I’ve ordered from them I got my stuff like two days later so no problems for me. Their customer service sucks dick when you call. I ordered on their card and forgot the payment by a day and they charged a $40 late fee and were a pain to get the one time courtesy late fee waived.

On 9/3/2020 at 8:04 PM, Jason said:

Thank god I got an air conditioner for my bedroom yesterday. This is insanity (daytime high in the 70s, nighttime low in the 60s is more normal for here).

image.png

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=34.0116&lon=-118.4923

That's at the airport, so if you click the map closer to the beach where I am the daytime high is a little lower, but that nightime low Saturday and Sunday is the same.

I’d get on my knees and suck your dick to consider 94 a heat wave now.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Turns out my cousin is a chode.

Yesterday was our grandmother's 85th birthday. She lives in an assisted living facility. As you can imagine they don't allow regular visits during this time. But, they will allow small gatherings on the outside of the facility on their patio with some strict rules in place: Masks at all times, social distancing, only two at a time speaking with her at a table with a glass divider, etc.

So some of my cousins show before our grandmother comes outside. And the one in question is talking with his siblings about masks and shit and how everything is fake. One of his sisters is a school teacher. I didn't catch all their convo but he was talking about how he saw a picture in a school with kids holding on to a rope (the rope was used to mark every six feet so the kids knew to stay that far apart). "They did the same thing to slaves."

Every time a worker came out he made a big show of putting on his mask. And when they went back in he made a big show about taking it off.

I overheard him talking about "protesters" (he used air quotes) and you can tell what he thinks of them by the air quotes.

And the [completely expected, in retrospect] kicker: I see his water bottle. It has a lone sticker on it with a quote going in a circle. "Where we go one we go all" with a Q in the center.

That side of my family has always had a conservative leaning but he's definitely the craziest one now. This is the first time I've seen them in at least a year. And we all live within 45 min of each other.

Nowhere to vent except here, unfortunately.

• Sad 4

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like my air conditioner that I bought six weeks ago is defective, and the manufacturer is saying that since it's within 90 days I have to return it to Home Depot, but there's still a massive air conditioner shortage because of COVID affecting the capacity of the factories. And it's hot. :(

It runs for like 30 minute spurts, sometimes longer, before I have to reset it so it's looking like hold onto it for another month and hopefully reach the end of heatwaves for the year, return it before the 90 days is up, and then buy another one in a few months before it's air conditioner season again.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

It looks like my air conditioner that I bought six weeks ago is defective, and the manufacturer is saying that since it's within 90 days I have to return it to Home Depot, but there's still a massive air conditioner shortage because of COVID affecting the capacity of the factories. And it's hot. :(

It runs for like 30 minute spurts, sometimes longer, before I have to reset it so it's looking like hold onto it for another month and hopefully reach the end of heatwaves for the year, return it before the 90 days is up, and then buy another one in a few months before it's air conditioner season again.

That sucks, I can't imagine living without an air conditioner. At least (hopefully) any gap you have will be over the coolest part of the year. Here we're in the nice phase of fall where the temperature range during the day and night is between 0 and 15 (32F and 60F), so we don't really need to have either the furnace or AC on since the temp indoors hovers around 15-18C. Pretty soon we're going to need to furnace on to stay comfortable. :(

11 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

That sucks, I can't imagine living without an air conditioner. At least (hopefully) any gap you have will be over the coolest part of the year. Here we're in the nice phase of fall where the temperature range during the day and night is between 0 and 15 (32F and 60F), so we don't really need to have either the furnace or AC on since the temp indoors hovers around 15-18C. Pretty soon we're going to need to furnace on to stay comfortable. :(

It's a beach city so traditionally it hasn't been too bad for more than one or two days at a time. It felt hard to justify spending the money on a portable unit for the handful of days a year I'd need it, especially since it's not like they were all coming in on consecutive stretch. But even in just the five years I've been here, I don't remember it being relentless like this. Climate change is a bitch.

I bought the air conditioner because it was going to reach 100 F outside (my bedroom in particular is always warmer than outside) back at the start of September over a three day weekend and no fucking way was I doing quarantine in those conditions without an air conditioner. I was lucky to find one at all, we'd just had a weeklong heatwave the week prior and I panic bought it once the 100 F heatwave was already in the news because I saw the weather report. I had to drive 60 miles round trip just to get it (probably max I usually drive in a week).

And on the climate change angle, normally a heatwave here is like 80-85 F. 100 F in Santa Monica is bonkers. Apparently just 8 years ago, the new record high was 87 F, and the previous record had held since 1979.