~~ CEB Community Thread ~~

If you don't have a Dutch oven... My god. Get one now. The kind with the self basting lid. It's one of the most magical pieces of kitchen equipment I've ever owned. Always kind of wanted one but since I got one for Christmas I almost never cook in anything else.

22 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

If you don't have a Dutch oven... My god. Get one now. The kind with the self basting lid. It's one of the most magical pieces of kitchen equipment I've ever owned. Always kind of wanted one but since I got one for Christmas I almost never cook in anything else.

Agreed. We got one for xmas a few years ago and my spouse loves to use it. So easy to move from stove to oven, etc.

41 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

And the thick crust breads you can make in it are fantastic! 

Only tried once but my dumbass left the dough on the counter overnight. Gonna try again today, mom was able to find me some yeast at the Aldi.

Roasts, stews, chili, and the big hit is mac and cheese; being able to use just one vessel for all that mess is super convenient and the self basting lid helps keep the beschamel from heating unevenly and forming a skin on top.

I don't even really use my cast iron skillet anymore, I just use the Dutch oven like a high walled skillet so stuff like taco salad or sausage gravy is also great. 

But when it comes to a big hunk of meat it's really like a magic ingredient. Just doing what I would normally do in a slow cooker but in the Dutch at 325 for four to five hours... It's something else. 

Sear your roast, use goya sazón, use horseradish, use the Dutch oven. There, you now know my secret ingredients. Impress your families.

• Haha 1

On 4/8/2020 at 8:19 AM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Closed on my first house yesterday. Going from 1200 sqft to 2k+ is gonna be so nice. Having a big kitchen will be there nicest part though

Four days in, moving nonstop, moving sucks I'm never doing it again. Still not done. I would have hired movers but ya know, pandemic.

27 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Have any of you ever had the displeasure of listening to Savage Nation? It's usually playing on the radio in the office at my job. Should i qualify for hazard pay just for having to listen to that show until i can clock in? @Emperor Diocletian II what do you think?

His last name is actually Weiner.  That's how I get through it.

On 4/7/2020 at 8:12 PM, Anathema- said:

We just got an air fryer, so far that has been good. She got an Instant Pot for Christmas but we still haven't used it. 

On 4/14/2020 at 12:46 PM, Dodger said:

We just got an air fryer, so far that has been good. She got an Instant Pot for Christmas but we still haven't used it. 

Oh the instant pot is also awesome. You can sear the meat in the pot, cover it with a nice sauce, and when it's done add a little flour and turn the heat back up and whisk it into gravy. You can defrost a roast that's like a block of ice in like 30 minutes. It's also a great rice cooker. Definitely a close second to the Dutch oven and was easily #1 until I got it.

Had a blood vessel burst in the back of my left eye about a week ago, have had the blurriest vision since. Yesterday I had to get an injection to help stop the bleeding.

A human person stuck a needle into my eyeball. 

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Had a blood vessel burst in the back of my left eye about a week ago, have had the blurriest vision since. Yesterday I had to get an injection to help stop the bleeding.

At least it wasn't a lizard person?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Blood coming out of your wherever?

Also, what did that feel like?

40 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Blood coming out of your wherever?

Also, what did that feel like?

They numb it real good, so you feel the pressure of the needle going in without the pain. So weird, nightmare stuff.

3 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Yikes. 

WELL hope that fixes it for you!

Supposed to start clearing up in 10-14 days, which feels like an eternity at this point :lol:

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Supposed to start clearing up in 10-14 days, which feels like an eternity at this point :lol:

I saw something yesterday or the day before on Twitter that was a response to Trump saying he had absolute authority that was something like:

"Susan Collins thought that Trump had learned his lesson just 67 days ago."

10-14 days is an eternity in this timeline. :p 

1 minute ago, Nokra said:

I saw something yesterday or the day before on Twitter that was a response to Trump saying he had absolute authority that was something like:

He did learn his lesson. That the Senate coronated him in February and now he can do whatever he wants.

1 hour ago, Nokra said:

Goodness. Yeah, I keep thinking about how the NBA announced it's suspension almost exactly one month ago. Time is broken.

I think I've listened to this song at least 200 times since being stuck at home. I'm legally allowed to leave now (I was never tested, but it's been 48 hours since my last symptoms disappeared, and my spouse was negative), but I will still continue to listen to it. I think it's the best pop/rock song of the 80s. Seriously, it has great vocal work, two guitar solos, different singers with different pitches, breakdowns...it's got it all:

EDIT - I should also post this live performance from 1992, converted to HD. Crazy how good it looks. And the replacement singer for the high-pitch parts is incredible:

Just cancelled our wedding, which was scheduled for Sept 5. We had a guest list of 150, and that will definitely not be possible. If, miraculously, the government somehow allowed that large a gathering by September, we will still not be able to properly plan things with such little time for alterations to plans, etc.

Sad, but also excited, as planning for the wedding made both of us realize we should have just eloped to begin with. We are going to try and get our deposits back (except for the planner we had helping us as she has done so much work already), but we hope in 2021 or 2022 to have a "reception"/party to celebrate. We will still get married on the original date, but it will just be us and the Justice of the Peace along with our parents and witnesses.

• Like 2

I just wanted to say I am so glad I went and adopted my cat back in November.  He has been a bit annoying lately (maybe just because I'm stuck at home all day), but he's also the only in-person companionship I've had since this began.  I'd probably have cracked by now if he wasn't here...

8 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

I just wanted to say I am so glad I went and adopted my cat back in November.  He has been a bit annoying lately (maybe just because I'm stuck at home all day), but he's also the only in-person companionship I've had since this began.  I'd probably have cracked by now if he wasn't here...

A pet wouldn't be interesting if they never did things you didn't want them to do.