~~ CEB Community Thread ~~

@Jason I know that feel, bro. It really sucks when you don't feel like a relationship was given a proper chance, and I'm truly sorry to hear that it happened to you. 

Maybe a good strategy would be to avoid those places that bring up memories of her for a little bit, until you feel like you're in a better place where you can make new memories there with friends? Kind of tough if it was all in your neighborhood, but I think that intentionally putting yourself in those situations is just picking at the wound and not allowing it to heal. 

If you're feeling too down about it, avoiding alcohol for a few days might be a good plan too, but obviously you know yourself and how you're feeling; I certainly don't want to be preachy. :hug: 

22 minutes ago, Nokra said:

@Jason I know that feel, bro. It really sucks when you don't feel like a relationship was given a proper chance, and I'm truly sorry to hear that it happened to you. 

Maybe a good strategy would be to avoid those places that bring up memories of her for a little bit, until you feel like you're in a better place where you can make new memories there with friends? Kind of tough if it was all in your neighborhood, but I think that intentionally putting yourself in those situations is just picking at the wound and not allowing it to heal. 

If you're feeling too down about it, avoiding alcohol for a few days might be a good plan too, but obviously you know yourself and how you're feeling; I certainly don't want to be preachy. :hug: 

I didn't intentionally seek out that bar last night, I'm not THAT deep into the self-flaggelating despair here. I was out with people and that's where everyone wanted to go from the bar we started at. I didn't even completely realize where we were going until we got there.

As for friends...my friend here that I'd been hanging out with most weekends at least once a weekend for like three years, I've seen maybe twice in six months. I have a vague idea of of what's going on there but it doesn't really explain why he's been so completely AWOL, even when I've tried to reach out to hang out. I'm definitely just hurt by how things went with this girl, but I have no doubt it's both being exacerbated by wondering what's going on with that friend and that my feelings about him are getting mixed up with my feelings about her.

And yeah, I'm gonna try to not go crazy with the booze today, I know being hung over and tired makes me more vulnerable to wallowing in the self-pity, but I wasn't exactly in a "just have a couple of drinks" mood last night either.

I so want to visit Disney World again.  I haven't been there since I was 12.

But because I'm still technically a contractor at my job, I don't get vacation hours.  I have to wait until they make a decision on whether or not to make me a fulltime employee, which likely won't be until the end of the year.  It sucks, and I also don't get personal time or holiday pay, but it is what it is.

13 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Watching @Josehave a ball at Disney and daydreaming of when the wife and I going for our anniversary in the winter :)

Make sure you check out the new Avatar ride. Not a fam of the movie, but the ride is literally mind-blowing dude!

...I feel like I should take a break from this site.  Not because anyone pissed me off or anything, but this site is my main source for political news.  And frankly, after seeing the shit that's gone on over the past 2+ years, I'm no longer angry or even depressed about it.  I'm just tired and numb, in a "This is the world we live in now, and nothing will ever change" sort of way.  And I dont know what to do to get rid of that feeling.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I found out today that when I was hired I was put into the wrong paygrid (close to the correct one, but different) and as a result I have been overpaid by $792 this year (started a year ago). I have discovered the error, so I have to report it (or get fired if they find it themselves). However, they may have put the incorrect amount on my actual contract, which in that case protects me from owing anything (though they can correct it as of this year).

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

So I found out today that when I was hired I was put into the wrong paygrid (close to the correct one, but different) and as a result I have been overpaid by $792 this year (started a year ago). I have discovered the error, so I have to report it (or get fired if they find it themselves). However, they may have put the incorrect amount on my actual contract, which in that case protects me from owing anything (though they can correct it as of this year).

A bank error has been made in your favor!

33 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Given how permissible Canadian labor law seems to be, I'm surprised you aren't being given additional compensation for the amount of time it took you to figure out and report the mistake, plus a beaver tail as a token of good will.

Well I do get a free liver transplant and 4 Trudeau Bucks.

4 hours ago, Anathema- said:

If it's on your employment contract there's no way you should be obligated to pay that back. They shouldn't even adjust your salary. You accepted a position based on a salary you and your employer both signed your names to. 

Haha. Reminds me of when my wife went on unpaid leave after having our kid. Not only was she not paid for the time she was off(no short term disability or maternity leave pay at all), but because she works and is paid for 10 months a year but the pay is spread over 12 months, they had to dock her pay once she returned to work, and the amount could not be spread out over the rest of the year. So instead of getting paid right when she got back to work on a normal schedule, but an additional month after that. We were not told about this beforehand, and we were cought completely flat footed on that. 

Thus began the paycheck to paycheck and debt cycle until I got a new job. 

Don't become a teacher in a jurisdiction without a union. Or just don't become a teacher. 

• Shocked 1

5 hours ago, Anathema- said:

If it's on your employment contract there's no way you should be obligated to pay that back. They shouldn't even adjust your salary. You accepted a position based on a salary you and your employer both signed your names to. 

True...but they could just terminate me without cause and pay me 2-4 weeks' severance to go away. This is obviously not about the money (they have since offered to just take $400 and call it even), it's about them trying to protect their image and not admit any mistake.

6 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

True...but they could just terminate me without cause and pay me 2-4 weeks' severance to go away. This is obviously not about the money (they have since offered to just take $400 and call it even), it's about them trying to protect their image and not admit any mistake.

Refusing to admit their mistakes? What kind of bizarro Canada do you live in?

I'm stuck at work today. I deal with injured people's attorneys, who are almost all universally out of the office today. So I'm going to try and leave at 1. Too many people stuck working with me for me to put the power metal on though. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

My Apple monitor at work died. :( I have it from back when they used to buy Apple monitors. Now they just stock Samsung monitors.

The viewing angles on this new monitor are shit. And the other thing that was nice was that since it was an Apple display with a MacBook Pro, things actually looked the same on the two displays, whereas now things look substantially more washed-out on the Samsung display. And I feel like part of what's going on is extremely uneven backlighting.

And maybe I'm just looking too hard for things to bitch about but I swear this screen feels like it has geometry issues. How the fuck do you have geometry issues on an LCD display? Unless the screen is just so shit that it creates the optical illsuion of one.