~~ CEB Community Thread ~~

Welp, I just put in an offer on my first house. Offered exactly the asking price since they priced it to move (we googled and the owner was hired across the country). Could have offered lower, but it's only been up for a day and there seems to be lots of interest. It's literally a block from where my wife works, and in a great neighborhood, and below our budget. 

The best thing? We're willing to walk away, if needed. We've seen what falling in love with a house can do to people...and we won't allow that for us, lol.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Welp, I just put in an offer on my first house. Offered exactly the asking price since they priced it to move (we googled and the owner was hired across the country). Could have offered lower, but it's only been up for a day and there seems to be lots of interest. It's literally a block from where my wife works, and in a great neighborhood, and below our budget. 

The best thing? We're willing to walk away, if needed. We've seen what falling in love with a house can do to people...and we won't allow that for us, lol.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Dang, they went with another offer. Sucks, but we made a commitment not to over-bid for houses. There will always be another house that will come up that we will like just as much. Plus...more money to invest, in the short-term!

Did they give you a chance to re-up or did they just go straight with the other offer?

In the house we ended up closing on 2 years ago, they went with a different offer without offering us a chance to reup. The offer fell through though and they came crawling back. The odds of that happening aren’t high, but it happens!

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Did they give you a chance to re-up or did they just go straight with the other offer?

No, but that is not common where I live. Typically the hottest it gets is when multiple offers come in, and they just choose one. The only time I could see people asking for a second round of offers is if all the first ones were low (or they counter a single offer, asking for more).

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

Obviously it will vary by area, but this is the time of year where pickings are slim, so you’re not likely to get anything coming in at asking price. 

The market here is really weird right now. Homes are tending to sell faster, but there are also a lot coming on the market for this time of year. However, we also weren't really looking to buy until Mar/Apr, but thought this one would have been worth it if we could get it for the asking price. The key (in my mind) is to not overpay compared to what you think the property is worth. In this case, it was asking, and while it would have been nice to have it, it wasn't worth bidding more (especially since the only reason it was worth it to us is because it was lower than our budget, and 2-months out from when we were originally going to be buying).

Planet-of-the-apes Kill-bill

I got some movie artwork framed. The two kill bill water colors I've actually had for well over a decade, just sitting in my closet rolled up in a tube. The POA print I just purchased from Acme Archives (with a few Star Wars prints that I'm waiting to get framed) and got me to get the KB ones done. I love them sooooooooooooooooo much

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Planet-of-the-apes Kill-bill

I got some movie artwork framed. The two kill bill water colors I've actually had for well over a decade, just sitting in my closet rolled up in a tube. The POA print I just purchased from Acme Archives (with a few Star Wars prints that I'm waiting to get framed) and got me to get the KB ones done. I love them sooooooooooooooooo much

Super jelly on the KB posters

I have a few 

IMG-1334 IMG-1335

I just got the Godmachine Hellraiser a few weeks ago

I ve been trying to get this one for awhile but the damn price never drops below $250

Pullin_NOTLD_REG_FINAL_LG.jpg?v=15814767

and this one seems to rarely drop below $350

ortiz-thething-main.jpeg?v=1581598138

On top of us being notified that my wife's aunt was taken off of life support this morning and passing away shortly after from covid, we just got a call from the San Diego coroner's office that my wife's dad just died.  We wont know the exact cause of death until tomorrow, but he was found floating in the water near his little sail boat in Chula Vista harbor.  

Shit sucks.  

Her mom died in 2012, and now her dad is gone.  She still has her grandma in Pensacola, but she's in her upper 80s and is getting over covid right now.   EDIT: On top of that, she's an only child, so it's going to be difficult making arrangements from Las Vegas for a funeral and everything else in San Diego.  We are contacting friends of his to let them know. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 10

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

On top of us being notified that my wife's aunt was taken off of life support this morning and passing away shortly after from covid, we just got a call from the San Diego coroner's office that my wife's dad just died.  We wont know the exact cause of death until tomorrow, but he was found floating in the water near his little sail boat in Chula Vista harbor.  

Shit sucks.  

Her mom died in 2012, and now her dad is gone.  She still has her grandma in Pensacola, but she's in her upper 80s and is getting over covid right now. 

I’m terribly sorry, friend

27 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Shit sucks.  

Her mom died in 2012, and now her dad is gone.  She still has her grandma in Pensacola, but she's in her upper 80s and is getting over covid right now.   EDIT: On top of that, she's an only child, so it's going to be difficult making arrangements from Las Vegas for a funeral and everything else in San Diego.  We are contacting friends of his to let them know. 

Fuck. :/ Sorry this is happening and doubly sorry this is happening now.

11 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Shit sucks.  

I am so sorry, man. 

16 minutes ago, Joe said:

I am so sorry, man. 

Thank you.

We've got quite a lot of work ahead of us now.  There are no relatives in San Diego who can help with the estate, so we'll have to go there this week and start working on that, in addition to setting up the funeral and other things.  Luckily he was a member of the VFW and Moose lodge and they should be able to help out quite a bit - both orgs have to deal with members dying all the time and they know all the steps that need to take place.  I think he may be eligible for VA burial benefits as well.  

He was a hoarder...We'll have to clean out his house and storage unit, in addition to doing something with his vehicles and that sail boat.  

-37C here right now (-35F), and has been for the last 5 days. 😬 Car was plugged into block heater 24/7 and driven twice a day, but still refused to start yesterday. Got two boosts but now won't start...so looks like I need a new battery. Fortunately still have one free roadside assistance call with CAA left, and they offer roadside battery delivery and install. I feel bad...but it's not going above -30 until next week, and we only have one car.

14 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

-37C here right now (-35F), and has been for the last 5 days.

There's a nice life hack conversion for this. Fahrenheit to Celcius is Temp in F - 30 divided by 2 (60f - 30) / 2 = 15c

And do the reverse to calculate C to F (15c x 2) + 30 = 60f

But it seems to break when you get to that extreme cold. 🤷‍♀️

We got to San Diego last night.  Stopped by the Coroner's office and picked up his personal belongings, which included his keys and a checkbook, which should make some things easier later on.  Autopsy didn't reveal a cause of death, so they now have to do toxicology, which could take up to 30 days to get those results.  We also stopped by the marina to look at this sail boat.  

He was paying $420 a month in slip fees for a boat that was falling apart, and in the ~15 years that he owned it, never left the dock.  We asked the marina manager what he thinks it may be worth, and he said maybe $1000.  The manager did give us some contacts to potentially just donate the boat, which is probably what we'll do.  We also found his third car, an early 2000s Mercedes at the marina.  It's in alright condition, but it's dirty inside and out.  We should be able to sell that car once we get everything settled. 

My wife went to his house today.  He's a hoarder, but the pictures she showed me of the place was better than I expected.  She's already located the title for the non-op Pontiac with 4 flat tires, the Mercedes, and the boat.  She hasn't yet located the title for the 70s pickup truck.  She's collecting any paperwork/bills she can find, which will help us square up any other assets or debts he has. He has a storage unit somewhere, but we are unsure where. 

One of the good things about distance learning is that it has meant our daughter won't miss any school this week.  Even when we were driving from LV to SD yesterday, she was able to attend class the entire time using my wife's laptop and my phone as a hotspot.  So that's cool.

We definitely misjudged how long this process is going to take us.  We thought that staying here through Sunday would allow us to take care of everything - from settling his estate to even doing the cremation and doing an ash scattering out in the ocean - but we were wrong.  If we are lucky, we'll be able to clean out his house and hand the keys back to the landlord.  We cannot get rid of any of the vehicles without going through a process with the DMV first, which takes ~40 days.  Also, we can't close out any of his accounts without his certificate of death, which we won't have for awhile.  We'll have a lot of work ahead of us, and we'll likely have to make at least one more (non-fun/vacation) related trip down here.  Hopefully much of this stuff can be taken care of remotely.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

My heart goes out to you man, I've spent years preparing myself for what it's going to be like when I have to settle my dad's estate, and I'm fortunate enough to not live far away from him (though I got a trial run when he was hospitalized for ~4 months after a ruptured aneurysm). Shit sucks.

• Like 1

@mclumber1 again so sorry to hear that. Your story is all too familiar to me as in a little over a week it will have been 5 years since my father's passing. I think you'll be able to find comfort in that you're not going through this journey alone as your wife and daugher are there to support you. It's kind of deflating to do it by yourself (I really only had help from my dad's lawyer and my aunt).

Going through belongings is mentally taxing. You'll find some things you didn't know and some things you didn't want to know. Personally for me the only thing I sold was my dad's car. The rest of the stuff I just donated to the DAV. They do free pick up so if you set an appointment and a bunch of stuff out they'll take it.

As for the death certificates make sure you get at least 10 of them. Closing a lot of accounts and such require a death certificate and some places give them back and other places don't. If you don't have enough you'll have to wait again to get more copies.

In any case hang in there man! 🫂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

With apologies for the shift in topics... I thought @CayceG should see this.

:lol:

This is awesome. 

DID YOU KNOW that in Amsterdam they play baseball? Well... here's what "Major League Baseball" translates to in Dutch:

Oh, you wanted a Euro lite-pop song to go along with it? YOU'RE IN LUCK. 

We made great progress yesterday.  We junked two of his non-operating cars.  We should get a couple hundred dollars for them. 

When we went to go pick up his Mercedes from the marina, we found that the key didn't work, because it got soaked with saltwater when he fell into the harbor.  We were able to find a locksmith who specializes in reprogramming Mercedes keys and was able to make it work again.  The remote alarm doesn't work on the key anymore, but at least we can start the car.  We then drove it over to a detailer to have it cleaned so we can eventually sell it.  One of my FIL's friends will let us store the car at her house until we can sell it, which won't be for another month.  

We also went back over to his house and started going through his things.  Hoarders... Ugh...  He had newspapers from 10 years ago in his house, along with bills from 20, 30 years ago.  We found some random receipts and other stuff from the 1980s.  None of it had sentimental value, but he was just the type of person who kept everything.  We tried our best to go through most of this paperwork and found important bills and bank statements.  We sat aside some stuff that we'll sell/donate on Friday.  My wife decided to only keep a few pictures, letters, a fedora (he loved fedoras and had probably 2 dozen of them, a Hawaiian shirt, and 

We hired a guy to clean out the house today of all of the remaining junk.  I'm sure (and we are fine with) him selling anything that we didn't want to deal with, like the entertainment stand and the couch.  Tomorrow will have professional cleaners come in and clean the house from floor to ceiling.  It's pretty bad.  The landlords have been very nice, and they've indicated that we'll get the rest of this month's rent back along with the deposit, which will more than offset the costs of cleaning out the junk and cleaning the house. 

Still need to figure out what to do with the boat, and figure out where his storage units are.  We couldn't find any bills or paperwork for his storage units.  So that stuff may end up just going to auction.  Who knows - maybe we'll see his stuff on storage wars someday.  That would be interesting. 

• Like 2

We have a parking spot outside our condo that has an outlet, so my car has been plugged in 24/7 (cars in Canada have block heaters, which basically keep the engine warm while a car is parked). Despite this, I didn't drive it for about 24 hours last week and my battery busted. CAA wouldn't even replace it because it was too cold, so my father-in-law went and picked up a new battery (since we only have one car) and then we installed it in -45 weather. Not fun. No issues since, but I am also running my car for 20-30 minutes every 12 hours to keep the battery charged and engine from freezing solid.

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

I'm complaining about 16 degree weather and Riley's up in Canada installing a car battery in -45. Damn.

The trick is to wear layers. I had pajama pants under my jeans, some thick wool-lined winter boots, two pairs of wool socks, a t-shirt, sweater, hoodie, and winter coat on, and then a neck-warmer, toque, and medical mask on. Also those thin black, cotton gloves (every northern person knows what I'm talking about) under some insulated mitts. 

It can take 10 minutes to get ready to go outside, but I was pretty warm for the 20 minutes it took. Eyelashes froze with frost, though.