~~ CEB Community Thread ~~

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

@Jasonare you still in need of an AC? I could send one to you 

Yesterday mine decided to work normally but Wednesday isn't the first time it's exhibited the malfunction I was seeing (although Wednesday is the first time it was super aggressive about not working after resets)...so I'm going to need to get something new eventually, I don't want to risk dealing with it again once I'm outside the 90 day return window.

Is what you have a portable unit where the unit's on the floor and you run a hose up to the window? I'm specifically not allowed to have a window unit.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yesterday mine decided to work normally but Wednesday isn't the first time it's exhibited the malfunction I was seeing (although Wednesday is the first time it was super aggressive about not working after resets)...so I'm going to need to get something new eventually, I don't want to risk dealing with it again once I'm outside the 90 day return window.

Is what you have a portable unit where the unit's on the floor and you run a hose up to the window? I'm specifically not allowed to have a window unit.

Does the unit you have pump the condenser water up to the window?

6 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Does the unit you have pump the condenser water up to the window?

I don't think so? It has drain two drain plugs on the back, like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

On Wednesday after several rounds of resetting the unit I finally drained the unit and made sure it was really drained, during which a significant amount of water came out. Thirty minutes later it had the same malfunction and then when I drained it again a lot of water came out considering I'd just drained it 30 minutes prior. So I'm not sure what the root cause was but it seem like something was causing the unit to fill with water way too quickly and I suspect that's what was causing the malfunction, even though the error code it was flashing is not the one listed in the manual as being the "go drain the water" error code.

17 minutes ago, Jason said:

I was over at Home Depot and they had floor standing units available. I can ship one to you if you need.

38 minutes ago, Jason said:

I don't think so? It has drain two drain plugs on the back, like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

On Wednesday after several rounds of resetting the unit I finally drained the unit and made sure it was really drained, during which a significant amount of water came out. Thirty minutes later it had the same malfunction and then when I drained it again a lot of water came out considering I'd just drained it 30 minutes prior. So I'm not sure what the root cause was but it seem like something was causing the unit to fill with water way too quickly and I suspect that's what was causing the malfunction, even though the error code it was flashing is not the one listed in the manual as being the "go drain the water" error code.

Might need the unit above the drain/window so that gravity can continually drain the water out.

since it's a portable unit it might not have the power to freeze the water on the outside of the pipes like in a home unit would if there's a problem with the compressor or refrigerant

So yeah, try making it so it continually drains and see how that works. 

Is it particularly humid where you live right now, or at least more so than typical for Southern California? ACs do a lot of dehumidifying as well, which generates a lot of moisture. Like here in Houston where is 8 billion percent humidity all the time, my AC will start producing water in a couple of minutes due simply to dehumidification 😂 

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Is it particularly humid where you live right now, or at least more so than typical for Southern California? ACs do a lot of dehumidifying as well, which generates a lot of moisture. Like here in Houston where is 8 billion percent humidity all the time, my AC will start producing water in a couple of minutes due simply to dehumidification 😂 

I don't think so. When I got the unit it was 100 degrees and pretty humid a couple of days later so I don't see why it would be fine then but not now.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Might need the unit above the drain/window so that gravity can continually drain the water out.

since it's a portable unit it might not have the power to freeze the water on the outside of the pipes like in a home unit would if there's a problem with the compressor or refrigerant

So yeah, try making it so it continually drains and see how that works. 

There's no way for me to drain it out the window, plus the window is high up so it'd be a bitch to get it up high enough even if I could.

I mean, every AC is going to have condensation from hitting the dew point temperature on external parts and by the nature of cooling force water out of the air. That it is producing water would seem to me to be a good thing, just need the water to go somewhere imo.

Do you have a tub you can have it drain to? Or something to have the water naturally flow into besides the internal reservoir?

I mean, every AC is going to have condensation from hitting the dew point temperature on external parts and by the nature of cooling force water out of the air. That it is producing water would seem to me to be a good thing, just need the water to go somewhere imo.

But it doesn't make sense that I ran it for three days straight when I it was 100 degrees and humid out, but it couldn't run for more than 30 minutes after completely draining it (and also cleaning out both filters).

Do you have a tub you can have it drain to? Or something to have the water naturally flow into besides the internal reservoir?

It looks trashy as shit but that picture I posted did give me the idea to just buy two plastic tubs like that, set it up like they have, and run the unit with the bottom drain open so it can just continuously drain into the second tub. 

Or I guess I could just do one tub and drain out of the top drain port into the tub but I figure better to just drain it from the bottom...just need to get it raised up off the floor to do that. 

2 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

So fellas...as of today I am officially a daddy. My wife gave birth to a beautiful baby girl.

My only unsolicited advice is to ignore all the unsolicited advice people give you about parenting. Congrats!

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

My province just got a huge snowstorm, with up to 23 inches (50cm) in some places. My city only got a few cm, fortunately (though we did have freezing rain), but another city is in chaos:

eug9qzzxz4y51.jpg

1oygv2q9x4y51.jpg

Even the graders are stuck:

Fascism or this is a pretty tough call.

• Haha 1

I remember getting a big storm and a pole came by and got stuck on my street, twice. Me and about 8-10 other neighbours had to come out and help dig out the truck to move again. The 2nd time I think was wise because he tried backing up to push the load of snow from his first stick in the road. 

Not gonna complain much about our weather in Southern Ontario. Walking downtown Toronto today for work (waiting on my load to arrive) and I was walking down the streets in my T-shirt and Cargo Shorts and no jacket. One more day of this weather before reality hits again with cooler weather

lol, this popped up on my Facebook memories feed from 10 years ago today:

Now that I have an Android phone, I see my productivity becoming lower than it already was.

I'm pretty sure I posted that in response to it immediately dawning on me that I'd always have the IGN boards right there in my pocket...so other than it specifically being about the IGN boards, I'd say that aged well. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

If I rear-ended someone in March but we didn't get the police involved, is that an at-fault collision for the purposes of when they ask if you've been at fault in any collisions in the past 5 years when you're doing a car insurance quote? From comparing the damage on the two cars it was obvious it was my fault but some of what I'm reading makes it sound like "at fault" has a specific technical meaning here that involves the police assigning fault, or getting a judge to rule on who was at fault. @Dodger

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

If I rear-ended someone in March but we didn't get the police involved, is that an at-fault collision for the purposes of when they ask if you've been at fault in any collisions in the past 5 years when you're doing a car insurance quote? @Dodger

in ca it's considered an at fault accident if your insurance paid out $1000 or more in total. Did your insurance pay out on the claim? If it was minor and the insurance wasn't involved you don't have to worry about it. If your insurance paid out the $1000 or more you need to put it because it will show up when they run your previous claims history if you get the new policy. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dodger said:

in ca it's considered an at fault accident if your insurance paid out $1000 or more in total. Did your insurance pay out on the claim? If it was minor and the insurance wasn't involved you don't have to worry about it. If your insurance paid out the $1000 or more you need to put it because it will show up when they run your previous claims history if you get the new policy. 

Yeah, my insurance totaled my car and sent me a check for over $1k (not sure if the other guy got paid anything by my insurance but sounds like that doesn't matter for my question). So I have to say yes, then. Okay, thanks, I kind of figured I did but what I was seeing was confusing enough that I figured it was worth making sure. Just didn't want to get fucked on answering wrong and then getting a huge price adjustment later. 

Tomorrow’s my last day at my job; I’ll be leaving a place I’ve been for 14 years and the only spot I’ve worked at since grad school. Going to be in the same general area, just a different facet and moving to the industry side. I’ve got some anxiety leaving a place I’ve been for so long but I’m excited about the new opportunity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...