Now that we're halfway through the year, what are some of your favorite 2018 games? Any overlooked games as well?

SaysWho?

1 hour ago, mikechorney said:

After last year’s great output, this year has mostly been backlog cleanup for me. 

The only game I have played from this year is God of War. 

Wonderful output, especially the first half of the year. Heck, I think the reason the first half of this year seemed underappreciated is because it followed up 2017 since there's been quite a bit of quality so far (and much I still have to get to from 2018, nevermind 2017 :p :(.

5 hours ago, mikechorney said:

After last year’s great output, this year has mostly been backlog cleanup for me. 

The only game I have played from this year is God of War. 

My position is very similar to Mike's. From this year's stock of games I've played GoW and Pillar of Eternity II. Both are real good, Gow is better though. Early contender for GOTY. I still have a handful of titles to complete from last year's fall line up, like Ni No Kuni II and The Evil within 2! :cry:

Edit: I spaced mentioning Far Cry 5. I enjoyed it, despite its pointless, silly story. 

7 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

My position is very similar to Mike's. From this year's stock of games I've played GoW and Pillar of Eternity II. Both are real good, Gow is better though. Early contender for GOTY. I still have a handful of titles to complete from last year's fall line up, like Ni No Kuni II and The Evil within 2! :cry:

You bastard u love the game but wont be here for the podcast FUCK

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Wonderful output, especially the first half of the year. Heck, I think the reason the first half of this year seemed underappreciated is because it followed up 2017 since there's been quite a bit of quality so far (and much I still have to get to from 2018, nevermind 2017 :p :(.

I can understand the criticism of this year’s first half output - Japanese games generally don’t appeal to my tastes.  

However, this fall and spring-‘19 look epic (for me). 

1 hour ago, mikechorney said:

I can understand the criticism of this year’s first half output - Japanese games generally don’t appeal to my tastes.  

However, this fall and spring-‘19 look epic (for me). 

Even last year's first half actually produced well-received Japanese games (Gravity Rush 2, Resident Evil 7, Yakuza 0, Persona 5, Nier: Automata). Perhaps there were more western games that caught your eye, though. It's actually pretty impressive that Japanese games are more of a force after the rocky HD transition. Sony has an ongoing project with Chinese developers, and I wonder if they'll be able to make a name for themselves worldwide since not too many AA/AAA games come from there.

Can't say I disagree with you about this fall. It's one of the most exciting ones for me that I can remember! :) 

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

It's actually pretty impressive that Japanese games are more of a force after the rocky 3D transition.

Don't you mean the HD transition?  It's the 360/PS3 generation where they struggled with their identity / focused on portables.

Only game i've played from this year is Frost Punk, which is good not great, not enough content, you can beat the main mission in a few hours, and the other 2 in about an hour, so with your first couple "i don't know what i'm doing games" you can play everything in about 10-12  hours.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Don't you mean the HD transition?  It's the 360/PS3 generation where they struggled with their identity / focused on portables.

Nah man, no Japanese games came out during the PS1. Dark times.

*quietly edits post*

Either Far Cry 5 or GoW. I never actually did finish GoW. Probably will fire it up once the new 4k tv arrives. I need to stop going back to Skyrim all the time, and I've been putting a lot of time into Witcher 3 and Dark Souls Remaster lately. For some reason, I'm just not enjoying DSR as much as I thought I would. 

3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

You bastard u love the game but wont be here for the podcast FUCK

IF my wife is laid up comfortably, I might be able to after all! We'll see how it goes. It is, after all, outpatient surgery. That's said, you never know! 

Other than the Street Fighter Anniversary collection, I haven't picked up anything from this year. I'm still mainly working on Assassin's Creed Origins (that game is huge). I plan on picking up Far Cry 5 and God of War and will definitely get Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

The only new game I've played from this year (I think) is Smoke & Sacrifice which I need to put more time into. :p I bought it when the boards were down and then was going to play it and make a thread on it when they came back but I haven't put enough time into the game to do that. ??‍♀️

I heard Iconoclasts was pretty good, but completely overshadowed by Celeste on release.

Ni No Kuni II just got a rather large patch that should address a lot of peoples issues with the game on release (difficulty probably being the biggest)

Don't think I really have a favorite for releases this year.

God of War would probably be the closest, but I just stopped playing it one day and haven't had any desire to pick it back up

The only thing that I have been interested in this year are a couple of fighting games really and I haven't picked them up yet... not a lot going on for the rest of the year but at least Soul Calibur VI, Tempest 4000, a couple PSVR games and the Fist of the North Star game are on the horizon (and so is Forza...)!

There are some others I like but the only ones that really stand out for me are Celeste,  Detroit, and God of War, unless I can count Hollow Knight and West of Loathing switch versions. I also really enjoyed Amazing Adventures of Captain Spirit, but I’ll probably just lump that in with Life is Strange 2 later this year. There is a good chance I’ll be adding Vampyr to that list but I really just started it.