Game of Thrones - Season 8 - Starting April 14th

TwinIon

Here's my ass-pull of an ending. Dany kills Jon to end his bid for the throne. Arya kills Grey Worm and facelessly kills Dany. Drogon goes berserk. Bran wargs into Drogon and goes double suicide. This ends the rise of magic. Gendry takes the throne. Series ends with Bronn killing Gendry because why the hell not.

I will admit, a small part of this is because Grey Worm is the best warrior in the series Arya has yet to fight and I'd like to see how that turns out. They're both finesse fighters, so it would certainly be a fun fight to watch.

Another part is because everyone was hoping for Bran to take warg Drogon and do something cool and I like the idea of him just drowning Drogon out at sea or impaling himself. I wonder if that will kill him at the same time or just break the connection. Magic. I don't know.

38 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Jesus christ man, there is one more episode. The fighting is done. Dany is getting John's sword in the belly, and John is going north past the wall. That's it. 

Well, each episode of season 8 has been well over an hour, so there's plenty of time for some stuff to happen.

Also, notice that as far as battles go, I didn't say one was actually going to happen. Everything I listed is just interpersonal strife that I think could take place easily in a near feature length episode.

I mean, wouldn't it be par for the course for this episode to bite off a little more than it could chew? All the episodes in season 8, other than maybe A Knight of the Seven Realms, has been criticized for squeezing in too much. 

And it's obvious that a guy who wouldn't sleep with his aunt is going to marry the girl raised as his sister, who is actually his first cousin instead? How is any of that obvious? It's absurd. Talk about abandoning logic to get an ending you want. 

None of what I said above is anything I particularly want to happen(though, I admit, I really want Nymeria to make one more appearance, so you got me on that one). 

The evidence is weighted pretty heavily that Arya wants to kill Dany, so I don't think that's crazy.

I didn't mean it was obvious in that I think it would definitely happen, but in that everyone was trying to think of ways for Jon and Dany to rule together. They could revive the old custom and rule as Targaryens together. They could keep it secret and rule as a Targaryen Queen and her Stark husband to secure the North. But after Dany cracked last week, greatly increasing her chances of not seeing the end of the series alive, no one I have seen made the jump to the next logical pairing that secures a royal line with the inherent legitimacy to cut off almost any usurper; Jon and Sansa.

The reason I think Jon would do this thing is the very heart of the Stark character. It's not what he wants. But after seeing Dany go nuts(and presumably some situation, whatever it is leads to Dany's death), he will accept his fate as a reluctant ruler. Jon has the honor and duty that were the core of Ned, but the poor bastard has something Ned didn't. Something that allowed Ned the luxury of begging off the crown. Jon has the inherent legitimacy that can bring peace to the land. He will take the crown, and the responsibility he doesn't want because he is the only one that can. At least, that is the way I see it.

And I think there would be something of a bittersweet quality to it. Jon gives up a true love because of the taboo of having sex with a blood relative who he never really saw as an aunt. And instead having to accept a life where he marries a less direct blood tie, which is less taboo, but feels much worse because he actually grew up with her as a sister. It's worth mentioning that GoT is steeped in real world historical ties(if Mad Dany is from Martin and not just the show runners, it is very likely due to the not uncommon "mad king" scenerio found in many histories). And many, many ruling families that would not have accepted a brother/sister tie or aunt/nephew tie wouldn't have had a problem with cousins. 

I think the far out there fan theories that are going out of their way to get what people want are things like Dany lost control of Drogon so she is innocent. Or that Jaimie is still alive. What I said above is just working with the pieces they gave us in The Bells. Like I said, none of it is stuff I particularly want. If I had any preference for the series, it probably would have been for Dany to win and keep the throne. But, like I said, I think they have set up the pieces so that Dany is a marked woman in the finale.

Can we all agree that it is very likely that either Dany doesn't make it out alive or Jon and Arya don't?

Surprise! Next episode is a flash forward set 50 years in the future. Dany was a ruthless leader, but lead the Seven Kingdoms through an era of prosperity never before seen. She dies, alone, with no human heir. People search for Jon, but he exiled himself ages ago. Drogon proves to be a rather capable leader.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

Well, each episode of season 8 has been well over an hour, so there's plenty of time for some stuff to happen.

Also, notice that as far as battles go, I didn't say one was actually going to happen. Everything I listed is just interpersonal strife that I think could take place easily in a near feature length episode.

I mean, wouldn't it be par for the course for this episode to bite off a little more than it could chew? All the episodes in season 8, other than maybe A Knight of the Seven Realms, has been criticized for squeezing in too much. 

None of what I said above is anything I particularly want to happen(though, I admit, I really want Nymeria to make one more appearance, so you got me on that one). 

The evidence is weighted pretty heavily that Arya wants to kill Dany, so I don't think that's crazy.

I didn't mean it was obvious in that I think it would definitely happen, but in that everyone was trying to think of ways for Jon and Dany to rule together. They could revive the old custom and rule as Targaryens together. They could keep it secret and rule as a Targaryen Queen and her Stark husband to secure the North. But after Dany cracked last week, greatly increasing her chances of not seeing the end of the series alive, no one I have seen made the jump to the next logical pairing that secures a royal line with the inherent legitimacy to cut off almost any usurper; Jon and Sansa.

The reason I think Jon would do this thing is the very heart of the Stark character. It's not what he wants. But after seeing Dany go nuts(and presumably some situation, whatever it is leads to Dany's death), he will accept his fate as a reluctant ruler. Jon has the honor and duty that were the core of Ned, but the poor bastard has something Ned didn't. Something that allowed Ned the luxury of begging off the crown. Jon has the inherent legitimacy that can bring peace to the land. He will take the crown, and the responsibility he doesn't want because he is the only one that can. At least, that is the way I see it.

And I think there would be something of a bittersweet quality to it. Jon gives up a true love because of the taboo of having sex with a blood relative who he never really saw as an aunt. And instead having to accept a life where he marries a less direct blood tie, which is less taboo, but feels much worse because he actually grew up with her as a sister. It's worth mentioning that GoT is steeped in real world historical ties(if Mad Dany is from Martin and not just the show runners, it is very likely due to the not uncommon "mad king" scenerio found in many histories). And many, many ruling families that would not have accepted a brother/sister tie or aunt/nephew tie wouldn't have had a problem with cousins. 

I think the far out there fan theories that are going out of their way to get what people want are things like Dany lost control of Drogon so she is innocent. Or that Jaimie is still alive. What I said above is just working with the pieces they gave us in The Bells. Like I said, none of it is stuff I particularly want. If I had any preference for the series, it probably would have been for Dany to win and keep the throne. But, like I said, I think they have set up the pieces so that Dany is a marked woman in the finale.

Can we all agree that it is very likely that either Dany doesn't make it out alive or Jon and Arya don't?

Theres no doubt, Dany is dying at Jon's hand, and Jon is going to the wall. I imagine the unsullied and the Khalisar will leave. 

Theres going to be no happy ending, and nobody will rule. The whole series has been working towards destroying those who want to rule, and then leaving westeros under the power of a council. There's going to be no great twists now. Maybe a few surprises, and another death or two (Dany burning someone).  But it's over.  Ya, there's 80 minutes left, but the north has no army to beat Dany. She has to be assassinated. Perhaps Bran will warg into Drogon to stop it from destroying everything, or Drogon dies somewhere. You never know. 

I'm 100% positive Jon is going to go live beyond the wall. 

I really don't see Jon being the one to kill Dany. He is his adopted father's soon and Ned wouldn't kill a king he's pledged his life to. Maybe last week's episode would be enough to finally get him to break a vow, but Jon is also really stupid, so...

23 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Theres no doubt, Dany is dying at Jon's hand, and Jon is going to the wall. I imagine the unsullied and the Khalisar will leave. 

Not that it makes too much difference, but why do you think it will be Jon and not Arya?

Just the melodrama of making Jon do it? Do you think Arya will be involved?

Theres going to be no happy ending, and nobody will rule. The whole series has been working towards destroying those who want to rule, and then leaving westeros under the power of a council.

Honestly, I am not sure what I wrote that comes across as a happy ending :p

I would think some kind of council would be a more stereotypical happy ending to an audience acclimated to Western Democracies. Because that's what we mean by a council, right? Sure, Tyrion and Gendry and whoever else might initially run it, but what succession plan is there for a council other that either a recipe for more civil war(like the Roman Tetrachy) or to institute some kind of representative Democracy?

Like Maximus reinstituting the Roman Republic at the end of Gladiator( :D ). It's a cheap pop for a crowd that sees things like political self determination as an inherently good thing.

There's going to be no great twists now. Maybe a few surprises, and another death or two (Dany burning someone).  But it's over.  Ya, there's 80 minutes left, but the north has no army to beat Dany. She has to be assassinated. Perhaps Bran will warg into Drogon to stop it from destroying everything, or Drogon dies somewhere. You never know. 

I don't think Bran is going to Warg Drogon. I keep hearing fans say that, and it makes some sense, and it would make for a cool TV moment, but I feel like Bran's character doesn't care about these things.

He was willing to get involved for the Night King because that was a situation where the whole world was in the balance. Good vs. Evil. With his knowledge, Bran must know of thousands of little petty wars where this ruler or that ruler came out on top. He would see involving himself in the current conflict as both beneath him and beyond his remit. For example, when I read about about some insurrection that happened in the Egyptian Old Kingdom between two generic rulers, my first impulse is not to take sides.

Though, if it was Bran that sent Arya the horse at the end of The Bells then I am dead wrong and not only will Bran get involved, he seems to have a pretty precise plan for what he wants to happen.

I'm 100% positive Jon is going to go live beyond the wall. 

Now who's talking about a happy ending?

Does this ending also involve Jon frolicking in the snow with Ghost while "I can't see me loving nobody but you for all my life" plays in the background? :p

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

Does this ending also involve Jon frolicking in the snow with Ghost while "I can't see me loving nobody but you for all my life" plays in the background? :p

Of course not. It's Jon and Ghost on a bicycle singing "I'm walking on sunshine!" since the Night King is gone. 

Y6ApOu3_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Also, with all the screen time Arya got in the last episode plus the ending with the horse, I feel like she has to be the one to kill the mad queen. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

Not that it makes too much difference, but why do you think it will be Jon and not Arya?

Just the melodrama of making Jon do it? Do you think Arya will be involved?

Honestly, I am not sure what I wrote that comes across as a happy ending :p

I would think some kind of council would be a more stereotypical happy ending to an audience acclimated to Western Democracies. Because that's what we mean by a council, right? Sure, Tyrion and Gendry and whoever else might initially run it, but what succession plan is there for a council other that either a recipe for more civil war(like the Roman Tetrachy) or to institute some kind of representative Democracy?

Like Maximus reinstituting the Roman Republic at the end of Gladiator( :D ). It's a cheap pop for a crowd that sees things like political self determination as an inherently good thing.

I don't think Bran is going to Warg Drogon. I keep hearing fans say that, and it makes some sense, and it would make for a cool TV moment, but I feel like Bran's character doesn't care about these things.

He was willing to get involved for the Night King because that was a situation where the whole world was in the balance. Good vs. Evil. With his knowledge, Bran must know of thousands of little petty wars where this ruler or that ruler came out on top. He would see involving himself in the current conflict as both beneath him and beyond his remit. For example, when I read about about some insurrection that happened in the Egyptian Old Kingdom between two generic rulers, my first impulse is not to take sides.

Though, if it was Bran that sent Arya the horse at the end of The Bells then I am dead wrong and not only will Bran get involved, he seems to have a pretty precise plan for what he wants to happen.

Now who's talking about a happy ending?

It's not a happy ending, Jon is going to kill her and go north so nobody tries to force him to rule. 

Jon is killing Dany, and the kingdom will be ruled by council. Maybe you havent read the books, but it's been building to this since Day 1. It was always about Democracy replacing monarchy. It was always about how the lust for power destroys people.

Some of you guys are expecting way too much out of this finale. The story has been wrapped, now it's time to cut the last threads. There will be no shocking turns, just as there were no shocking turns in the last episode. Literally, the only surprise this season was Arya killing the Night King, and even that was foreshadowed. 

2 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

Of course not. It's Jon and Ghost on a bicycle singing "I'm walking on sunshine!" since the Night King is gone. 

Y6ApOu3_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Also, with all the screen time Arya got in the last episode plus the ending with the horse, I feel like she has to be the one to kill the mad queen. 

the screenm time Arya got was because they wanted to follow a singular character through the carnage, one that fans are invested in. 

The horse thing was strange, but there were plenty of Dothraki there. I guess it's just a horse that ended up in the street with a dead rider. 

On 5/17/2019 at 2:33 PM, TheGreatGamble said:

Stop being absurd. Dany did that, not Bran.

the ridiculous ideas and theories going around as people try to fit the episode into their head canon.

Agreed, no chance it happens, I just like the idea of it. 

8 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

It's not a happy ending, Jon is going to kill her and go north so nobody tries to force him to rule. 

See, that's my problem with what you are saying. For Jon getting to go live beyond the wall would be a far more "happy ending".

Situating Jon as a ruler who took the crown only because no one else could and accepting the responsibility he doesn't want is a far more bittersweet ending for Jon.

Jon is killing Dany, and the kingdom will be ruled by council. Maybe you havent read the books, but it's been building to this since Day 1. It was always about Democracy replacing monarchy. It was always about how the lust for power destroys people.

And again, I don't see how you can claim I am the one proposing a happy ending compared to this. Your scenerio falls just short of Tyrion on an air craft carrier in front of a Mission Accomplished banner ending a speech with "Gods bless the United States of Westeros.

I have only read book one, so I can't speak to where the books seems to be going, but the moral ambiguity of the series, to me, seems to speak against a "Yay, Democracy is da best!" ending.

Also, Martin as a fan of history, I would guess, would be aware of how rare it is for a full Monarchy to convert overnight to a near full Democracy. I can't really think of an example where a land the size of Westeros made that change without intervening steps of a Constitutional Monarchy, or external pressure/guidance from another Democracy.

Some of you guys are expecting way too much out of this finale. The story has been wrapped, now it's time to cut the last threads. There will be no shocking turns, just as there were no shocking turns in the last episode. Literally, the only surprise this season was Arya killing the Night King, and even that was foreshadowed. 

Well, many people seemed pretty surprised by Dany going nucking futs.

I guess it depends on your definition of a surprise. Some might consider Dany being killed a surprise, for the same reason they considered her actions in the Bells to be a surprise.

Admittedly my Sansa/Jon pairing would be a surprise, but I don't think anything else I have said would be much of a surprise. The guy with the best claim to the throne and whose only excuse for not taking the thrown may be eliminated(she is my queen) is not really that surprising. In fact, I dare say it would be more "surprising" if they abolish the monarchy that people spent 8 seasons fighting over.

23 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

The amount of bitching after people have watched the last of their head canon dreams crumble is going to be GLORIOUS tonight!

Everyone is going to be pissed. It's going to be great. Then, like ten years from now, with no new books in sight, things start calm down and people will actually maybe even start to not hate the ending as much.

New prediction. Nothing happens. Dany takes the throne, everyone else falls in line because nobody wants to fuck with Drogon or the Unsullied or the Dothraki, Jon does nothing and probably goes to live with the Freefolk because fuck these guys, Arya travels across the sea because fuck these guys, Sansa locks herself away and becomes a recluse like her aunt because fuck these guys, and Tyrion dies of alcohol poisoning in a brothel because fuck these guys. The rest of the peasantry don't care Dany is queen or that she burned down King's Landing because that would take too much effort and, seriously, fuck those guys. Dany's life is meaningless and her rule goes down as rather forgettable. Sam has nothing of import to document after the war. Bran finds a nice apartment under a tree and goes back to living in the past because the present is so dreadfully dull.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Everyone is going to be pissed. It's going to be great. Then, like ten years from now, with no new books in sight, things start calm down and people will actually maybe even start to not hate the ending as much.

New prediction. Nothing happens. Dany takes the throne, everyone else falls in line because nobody wants to fuck with Drogon or the Unsullied or the Dothraki, Jon does nothing and probably goes to live with the Freefolk because fuck these guys, Arya travels across the sea because fuck these guys, Sansa locks herself away and becomes a recluse like her aunt because fuck these guys, and Tyrion dies of alcohol poisoning in a brothel because fuck these guys. The rest of the peasantry don't care Dany is queen or that she burned down King's Landing because that would take too much effort and, seriously, fuck those guys. Dany's life is meaningless and her rule goes down as rather forgettable. Sam has nothing of import to document after the war. Bran finds a nice apartment under a tree and goes back to living in the past because the present is so dreadfully dull.

Yay!!!!!! I love it 

7 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

Dany is a Stark 

That would be great.

A GoT version of the crazy bitch at a party that downs 6 beers, hops on a table, starts stripping while telling everyone how drunk she is until you tell her they were non-alcoholic beers....

Tyrion: Why did you burn all those people?!

Dany: I am the blood of the dragon, it can not be controlled.

Bran: *whispers in Dany's ear*

Dany: Oh. Awkward.

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

I don't understand head canon. Like, either you people are using it wrong or I was never using it right. Head canon is just believing your made up chain of events over the actual canon, right? 

It means you imagine what you would make happen, then are upset that's not what happened.

1 hour ago, johnny said:

The writers said there’s a Hodor/Red Wedding level reveal/twist so whether good or bad, it’ll be interesting at least

Everything happening is as documented by Sam. That's why he gets the girl. Also, Jon was actually brilliant, but Sam actually hated him and purposefully made him out to be stupid. Their friendship was just a cover for future generations reading his work.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, 2user1cup said:

It means you imagine what you would make happen, then are upset that's not what happened.

That just sounds like the D1P definition. Just seems like everyone who is using "headcanon" itt is using it to be dismissive of people who have been negative towards the show. Like, people weren't saying LOL HEADCANON LOL during season's 1-5 when the book content was prevalent. Mostly seems like the show's ardent defenders are the ones who keep using it because how dare people not be happy with the state of the show.