Game of Thrones - Season 8 - Starting April 14th

TwinIon

2 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Yeah, it could start a war.  So what?  That's literally what they were about to do anyway, wage global warfare.  Why get gunshy now, right after your beloved queen was murdered?  

Because your Queen and her giant fucking dragon who basically won battles on their own are gone? So now it’s just a still decimated Unsullied and Dothraki force with no leader against the United 7 Kingdoms? Grey Worm isn’t dumb. 

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Is the bitter part of the bitter sweet ending supposed to be Jon killing Dany? She went full on super villain there at the end.

Your guess is as good as mine, but if that's the case, they sure as hell didn't sell it at all, not with those straight-out-of-Germany-circa-1936 visuals in the beginning.

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

Is the bitter part of the bitter sweet ending supposed to be Jon killing Dany? She went full on super villain there at the end.

Yeah there’s a level of bittersweet tragedy to that. Again with a longer season you could play it out more. Literally my only critique of the season. I think the way they wrapped it up, the decisions for the characters and the basic beats were all phenomenal. Just rushed unfortunetly. 

Are we really going to complain about there still being a Nights Watch? We all know governments are wasteful so keeping something unneeded around is on point :P kidding, but I also don’t really care much for that to bother me. 

12 minutes ago, Triage said:

Everyone got what they wanted. 

Ain't that the truth - not a single one of the surviving characters finds themselves compromised in any way.

Sansa - Queen in the North

Arya - a life of high adventure

Bran - ummmm...I guess total freedom to do whatever it is that he does because he's the goddamned king

Jon - a life in the Night's Watch with Ghost and Tormund and chilling with the Wildlings

Tyrion - serving an honorable king

Davos - serving an honorable king

Bronn - wealth and actual respectability

Brienne - not only an actual knight, but the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard

Sam - becomes a maester

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Because you lost your biggest weapon and you're surrounded in a foreign land?

Yeah, and?

90% of Westeros doesn't give a fuck if Jon lives or dies, you really only have to worry about the North.  You're in a completely sacked, destroyed city with no defenses to speak of.  If the lords of Westeros really want to come in and slaughter you, Jon Snow being a hostage is about as useful as a screen door.   They don't even stick around anyway, the moment Jon and Tyrion get their "punishment" of doing exactly what they were before they all get in a boat and fuck off.  

1 minute ago, johnny said:

Are we really going to complain about there still being a Nights Watch?

No, but I thought the wall was awfully intact. I thought the whole thing was gone. Other than that, Nights Watch is kinda pointless. The people beyond the wall aren't the north's enemies and there are no more white walkers. But I guess a Station of Soldiers in the north isn't really a bad thing for the Kings and Queens of the future. I mean, I doubt the wheel is really broken. The south could want to retake the north at anytime after Bran. 

2 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Yeah, and?

90% of Westeros doesn't give a fuck if Jon lives or dies, you really only have to worry about the North.  You're in a completely sacked, defenseless city with no defenses to speak of.  If the lords of Westeros really want to come in and slaughter you, Jon Snow being a hostage is about as useful as a screen door.   They don't even stick around anyway, the moment Jon and Tyrion get their "punishment" of doing exactly what they were before they all get in a boat and fuck off.  

:facepalm:

4 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

90% of Westeros doesn't give a fuck if Jon lives or dies

The north cares. Sansa's North would fight The Unsullied to the death. Even if The Unsullied win, they would lose basically everything. Any other power would strike them down. 

6 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Yeah there’s a level of bittersweet tragedy to that. Again with a longer season you could play it out more. Literally my only critique of the season. I think the way they wrapped it up, the decisions for the characters and the basic beats were all phenomenal. Just rushed unfortunetly. 

Agreed.

5 minutes ago, johnny said:

Are we really going to complain about there still being a Nights Watch? We all know governments are wasteful so keeping something unneeded around is on point :P kidding, but I also don’t really care much for that to bother me. 

If anything, they now know more than ever the a Night's Watch is needed because all the things they thought weren't real were actually real.

4 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Yeah, and?

90% of Westeros doesn't give a fuck if Jon lives or dies, you really only have to worry about the North.  You're in a completely sacked, defenseless city with no defenses to speak of.  If the lords of Westeros really want to come in and slaughter you, Jon Snow being a hostage is about as useful as a screen door.   They don't even stick around anyway, the moment Jon and Tyrion get their "punishment" of doing exactly what they were before they all get in a boat and fuck off.  

Ok. I guess the fact that Jon's own army was still there doesn't factor in but whatever.

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

No, but I thought the wall was awfully intact. I thought the whole thing was gone. Other than that, Nights Watch is kinda pointless. The people beyond the wall aren't the north's enemies and there are no more white walkers. But I guess a Station of Soldiers in the north isn't really a bad thing for the Kings and Queens of the future. I mean, I doubt the wheel is really broken. The south could want to retake the north at anytime after Bran. 

I honestly can’t fully remember but I thought the zombie dragon only blew a hole in it. And in the opening of the show all season the wall is intact except for a hole in it. 

Yeah I thought it was odd there was a Nights Watch still but I guess it’s kind of better safe than sorry? There’s no reall way to know what exactly else is up beyond the wall so might as well keep your guard up. 

3 minutes ago, Bacon said:

The only part of the wall that was gone was by Eastwatch by the sea. The Wall is MUCH bigger than that. Castle black still stands and that part of the wall is intact.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mercury33 said:

:facepalm:

Ok, for those claiming Grey Worm isn't a fool that would start a war over nothing, what the hell did he even get then?  What was his ultimate goal in that negotiation, to give everyone what they wanted, receive nothing in return, and go back to his home planet?  If it would be stupid for him to kill Jon and risk a conflict, then why keep him at all if you're going to roll over the moment someone else makes a decision?  It's not even like he demanded safe passage, he just stands there with his thumb up his ass while everyone else decides what happens.  

Just now, LazyPiranha said:

Ok, for those claiming Grey Worm isn't a fool that would start a war over nothing, what the hell did he even get then?  What was his ultimate goal in that negotiation, to give everyone what they wanted, receive nothing in return, and go back to his home planet?  If it would be stupid for him to kill Jon and risk a conflict, then why keep him at all if you're going to roll over the moment someone else makes a decision?  It's not even like he demanded safe passage, he just stands there with his thumb up his ass while everyone else decides what happens.  

Maybe he didn't want to die or let his allies die?  

He simply wanted justice. That’s it. And the other lords basically all collectively told him to chill. What’s he supposed to do. By his last shot he clearly wasn’t happy. Tyrion even said as much. But he took what he could. He’s the commander of a force of what? Like 4K at this point? What’s he supposed to do? He’s got no leverage. 

They said the Night’s Watch will stay because they still need a place for bastards and criminals or whatever it was that was said.

Man, imagine if he had actually said that at some point during that entire negotiation where he basically told Tyrion to shut up once then let him proceed to choose the king.

How and why would he say that? What? That doesn't make any sense. 

1 minute ago, Emblazon said:

It is rather amusing that it took Daenerys' army to make the final outcome happen, but her entire army is nothing more than an afterthought after she's dead. 

In what way? There was no leader after her. I doubt the Dothraki would follow Grey Worm and the Unsullied were a very small force at that point. 

1 minute ago, Emblazon said:

It is rather amusing that it took Daenerys' army to make the final outcome happen, but her entire army is nothing more than an afterthought after she's dead. 

I’m not sure if they would have even won if they didn’t have Drogon 

Just now, Bacon said:

Are you saying that it doesn't make sense to bring up the one thing you actually want in a negotiation?  Hey, we'll let Jon go join the Night's Watch in exchange for some boats and us leaving this shithole forever untouched.  Damn, that would have been hard, huh.  We'll exchange our hostage for something we want.  Totally illogical thing to discuss.

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

To be fair (to the red wedding and shock factor of GoT), Grey Worm could have wiped out all but Brienne in a quick flurry before any other soldiers arrived. 

1 minute ago, LazyPiranha said:

Are you saying that it doesn't make sense to bring up the one thing you actually want in a negotiation?  Hey, we'll let Jon go join the Night's Watch in exchange for some boats and us leaving this shithole forever untouched.  Damn, that would have been hard, huh.  We'll exchange our hostage for something we want.  Totally illogical thing to discuss.

I thought they did? Didn't Tyrion say they all came to a compromise and none of them were happy? This show's writing this whole season has been to decide everything off screen. 

3 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

To be fair (to the red wedding and shock factor of GoT), Grey Worm could have wiped out all but Brienne in a quick flurry before any other soldiers arrived. 

Maybe, but I can't recall if he even had his spear at that point.