Love, Death & Robots: new Netflix adult animated anthology series from David Fincher and Tim Miller (Deadpool)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Did anybody actually watch this? I just got through with them all, and it was very decent. There were definitely some shorts that were lifted straight from video game concepts, and a lot of them had similar visual aesthetics. But the good ones were entertaining enough while the bad ones were mostly boring instead of being "bad" . There's actually a nice mix of CGI and Flash cgi shorts, with a range of realistic character visuals and absurd character visuals. The sex and nudity were obvious nods to the frustration of Disney animators having to draw sexy females while somehow keeping them sexless, so the narrative of some of these stories sometimes veers off course, lol.

But the entire experience could have been better, though. I think there was too much focus on "science" with almost zero attention payed to any mystical and/or sorcery aspect. Maybe it's just that I was looking for more of a Heavy Metal experience with cool music, a mix of all genres, and some sort of narrative through line through each short? Maybe. But all in all this was enjoyable enough. I would recommend maybe taking in no more than 3 or 4 shorts at a time, as they loosely range from 10-20 minutes and can get tedious to get through after a time.

Solid B

I ranked it in fairness to other short-complation movies that were better because they had a broader spectrum than this one did. And while a lot of these shorts were good, there were a few duds in it. Other compilation movies had a broader spectrum of story types, so I didn't have a preconceived notion of what this should have been but rather walked away with a notion that I didn't enjoy this as much because it was so skewed towards space and science... There is a fine difference between the two.

A 'B' grade is a very fair grade for this.

I've started watching and I've enjoyed it enough that I'd recommend it to anyone curious.

Sonnie's Edge was very cool, and the kind of thing I'd watch more of.

Three Robots was funny enough, though it made me wish it was Key and Peele.

I didn't care much for The Witness, and of the few I've seen it's the one where the nudity seemed most misplaced.

Suits was great fun, and it feels like a perfect setup for a video game.

I'm looking forward to going through more of them.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow that uncanny valley keeps getting closer and closer, some of the specific characters (the girl in Snow in the Desert" and guy in "Life Hutch") and environments (the world in "The Drowned Giant") were almost perfect.  Obviously the stylized  stuff looked great too.  The one that didn't seem so much like a valley but a chasm was "Pop Squad"

Turned out to be pretty meh.

The Christmas story was far away my favorite,2 stories with rogue maintenance robots trying to kill someone, neither were that great. Snow looked great but the story was fairly predictable . The Tall grass had great animation but 

Spoiler

Passenger: Hey the train stopped in the middle of nowhere, gonna step outside and smoke

Conductor: Sure dont go far

Passenger: wanders off to be killed by monsters

Conductor : Save passenger

Passenger: WTF is going on!!

Conductor: Oh yea , this totally happens on occasion and heres an exposition dump , now lets go home

The Drowned Giant was a close second for me., the complete reverse of the fantastic becoming the mundane was a good twist on  a fantasy sci fi story.

4 hours ago, SimpleG said:

Turned out to be pretty meh.

The Christmas story was far away my favorite,2 stories with rogue maintenance robots trying to kill someone, neither were that great. Snow looked great but the story was fairly predictable . The Tall grass had great animation but 

Reveal hidden contents

The Drowned Giant was a close second for me., the complete reverse of the fantastic becoming the mundane was a good twist on  a fantasy sci fi story.

I’m ok with that train story because 

Spoiler

When the conductor saves the man, he says it’s best not to tell anyone. He said the story sounds so crazy that the people/passengers wouldn’t even believe him. I think that’s why he didn’t tell him during his smoke, he wouldn’t believe him anyways either. 

• 11 months later...