Senate confirms Justice Handmaid One

I'd love to hear differing points of view, but I think Joe Biden's non existent answers on packing the Supreme Court and ending the filibuster are unacceptable.

The voters should know where you stand on an issue, and whether we like that stance or don't. Stop being a bitch.

2 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I'd love to hear differing points of view, but I think Joe Biden's non existent answers on packing the Supreme Court and ending the filibuster are unacceptable.

The voters should know where you stand on an issue, and whether we like that stance or don't. Stop being a bitch.

No one cares. 

8 hours ago, osxmatt said:

I feel like answering the question, regardless of the answer, will hurt him more than help him. There’s no upside; keep on dodging.

The answer depends on what Senate Republicans do honestly. If he answers then that becomes the story and not the ACB confirmation. I don't think the courts get reformed if she is not confirmed though.

His no comment is way better than shitting on the left/base which he has no problem doing otherwise, just keep that in mind.

9 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Perhaps I am missing something because this meme seems to think Justices goes brrrr. Wouldn't the change to the supreme court need bipartisan support? Which means it's DOA because why would repubs go for things that limit their power?

14 hours ago, osxmatt said:

There is literally not an answer he can give that won't get him into trouble. The dodge is the perfect move. 

10 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Perhaps I am missing something because this meme seems to think Justices goes brrrr. Wouldn't the change to the supreme court need bipartisan support? Which means it's DOA because why would repubs go for things that limit their power?

Nope, takes an act of congress and signed into law by the president to change the size of the supreme court and complete makeup of the lower courts

20 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

As long as the Democrats control the House and Senate, and Biden wins, they could change the Supreme Court to 100 seats and there's nothing the Republicans could do, procedurally. The Democrats would need to eliminate the filibuster first, of course, but I think they are likely to do that anyway since McConnell will abuse it to stall every single thing the Democrats want to do once they win.

Honestly, the entire US government needs updating. SCOTUS should be 11 or 13 seats, the House should be increased to 1000+ seats (at a minimum), and Puerto Rico and DC need to be added as states. Will the Republicans counter if they take control of the House, Senate, and Presidency at some point? Sure. But they are already eroding every single convention and norm, so there is no risk in Democrats doing it first to at least postpone the US' fall. 

11 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

As long as the Democrats control the House and Senate, and Biden wins, they could change the Supreme Court to 100 seats and there's nothing the Republicans could do, procedurally. The Democrats would need to eliminate the filibuster first, of course, but I think they are likely to do that anyway since McConnell will abuse it to stall every single thing the Democrats want to do once they win.

Honestly, the entire US government needs updating. SCOTUS should be 11 or 13 seats, the House should be increased to 1000+ seats (at a minimum), and Puerto Rico and DC need to be added as states. Will the Republicans counter if they take control of the House, Senate, and Presidency at some point? Sure. But they are already eroding every single convention and norm, so there is no risk in Democrats doing it first to at least postpone the US' fall. 

Eliminating the Permanent Apportionment Act of 1929 also mostly fixes the Electoral College. Win-win.

I think a good compromise would be the sitting members of SCOTUS nominate a new member when a vacancy occurs, and the Senate performs their usual advise and consent function as outlined in the Constitution.  A caveat would be that the retiring/dying/whatever judge cannot nominate their own replacement, just the remaining judges. 

19 minutes ago, Joe said:

lol the few good things we have in this country are thanks to SCOTUS.

Buckle up, so many good things coming!

95be127b-6f4a-42e4-a7a4-59e6f4a8c363-460
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Ana Marie Cox: Our conservative supreme court justices are convinced racial discrimination is over. Do they live in America?

18 hours ago, osxmatt said:

Thing is even asking the question presupposes and tacitly excuses  maladministration on the part of republican leaders. It's inappropriate to ask Biden the question of whether he'd expand the court while republican leaders go unquestioned over their own court packing. 

14 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Thing is even asking the question presupposes and tacitly excuses  maladministration on the part of republican leaders. It's inappropriate to ask Biden the question of whether he'd expand the court while republican leaders go unquestioned over their own court packing. 

An acceptable response could have been, "The citizens of this country deserve to be represented fairly.  With an ACB confirmation our supreme court would make up an overwhelming conservative majority, and that is not representative of our fine citizens.  I would exercise my power to make sure the SC represents the values of our citizens.". And then throw in some shade about Republicans stonewalling Obama and packing the courts themselves.

The Warren court and a few decent rulings thanks to Kennedy joining the liberals are all the good this court has done. Court liberals are what was good, not the institution!

The institution would be "ok" at best if all but maybe 3 justices weren't the result of undemocratic/stolen presidential elections, to say nothing of the Senate being a broken institution itself 

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The Warren court and a few decent rulings thanks to Kennedy joining the liberals are all the good this court has done. Court liberals are what was good, not the institution!

The institution would be "ok" at best if all but maybe 3 justices weren't the result of undemocratic/stolen presidential elections, to say nothing of the Senate being a broken institution itself 

This argument ignores the fact that all three institutions suck, not just SCOTUS. We would be way farther behind as a society without SCOTUS.

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I don't disagree but the institution can only be as good as the people in charge

I'm just saying, if you want SCOTUS as an institution to be eliminated but leave POTUS and Congress as institutions, you're a literal moron. Not saying you necessarily are saying that, though.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

I'm just saying, if you want SCOTUS as an institution to be eliminated but leave POTUS and Congress as institutions, you're a literal moron. Not saying you necessarily are saying that, though.

Fwiw, POTUS needs to be abolished and congress strengthened. More of a Westminster system

Aging is far from a new problem for the Senate, where both parties reward seniority and are reluctant to push their elders aside. Ms. Feinstein’s allies insist she will play her role with dignity and force, and Democrats have quietly put in place plans to keep her at the periphery of the action, leaving public appearances to other party leaders and ensuring that she will rarely be called upon to make unscripted remarks. But rarely has someone with Ms. Feinstein’s limitations been asked to take so prominent a stage in a battle fraught with such political risk.

• Guillotine 2