Senate confirms Justice Handmaid One

30 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

cool

Here's what's interesting about the article; for Kavanaugh, it was cut and dry.

A possible colleague of Barrett’s took a different view on racial slurs in 2013. Justice Brett Kavanaugh, then serving as a federal appeals court judge in Washington, D.C, said one utterance was enough. “But, in my view, being called the n-word by a supervisor ... suffices by itself to establish a racially hostile work environment. That epithet has been labeled, variously, a term that ‘sums up . . . all the bitter years of insult and struggle in America,’ ‘pure anathema to African-Americans,’ and ’probably the most offensive word in English,” Kavanaugh wrote. “No other word in the English language so powerfully or instantly calls to mind our country’s long and brutal struggle to overcome racism and discrimination against African-Americans. In short, the case law demonstrates that a single, sufficiently severe incident may create a hostile work environment actionable” under federal anti-discrimination laws.

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

There's about half a dozen house Dems who I can think of off the top of my head that would be far better suited for this. Not because they're legal experts by any means, but because they do their homework and prepare.

Wasn't Franken on the judiciary committee? Things that make you go hmmm about that ratfuck. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

"Case dismissed because the supervisor didn't use a hard 'r' " lmao

What I imagined when I read the tweet 58-A76-D88-A605-46-F6-A72-D-B4-AE4-BBD0125

What it was in reality

283-D23-BC-A671-4582-9-BC9-D44-FE83-AED45

5 minutes ago, mrbiggsly said:

Is Kavanaugh the new swing vote?

Him or Gorsuch.

There really is no swing vote anymore. If the liberals win anything it will have to be because one one of the conservatives holds an idiosyncratic view on an issue.

Like, there was a case that involved racial gerrymandering. In broad strokes, it used to be that Dems supported packing a minority district because it meant a higher chance of a minority being represented in Congress(this was at a time when it was still a significant problem that black democrats could not get nominated/elected even in Dem districts if it was a substantially white district). But the issue evolved where Republicans used this exact thing to pack districts and take away minority representation. It's a part of one of the tactics Republicans use when you hear the common story nowadays that they turned 10 competitive House seats into 2 D gimmes 5 R gimmes, and 3 comepetitve races. For example.

To his credit Thomas(which is not a phrase I use often) was consistent on the issue. He has always been against that type of racial packing. As I posted above, this led to a weird alignment the 4 liberals voting with Thomas against a racial gerrymander.

However, here's one reason why this new reality of 6-3 is so much worse than the already shitty 5-4 court.

Roberts isn't a swing vote, let alone anything resembling a liberal. He's a staunch conservative who can very occasionally be shamed into a moderate ruling. So even though Roberts kind of acted as a swing vote the past year there's no guarantee that one conservative's idiosyncratic view is going to line up with shaming Roberts into a moderate ruling.

How this works in practice is that when the lawyers for these party line cases actually plan out their arguments they often aim for the swing vote. So they look at a justice's history and literally play to an audience of one.

For instance, ever since 2006(I think it was) when Kennedy made a comment in a ruling about gerrymandering that went basically, "I am signing on to uphold this gerrymander because no reasonable alternative was provided. If someone can come up with a solution that makes more sense I'll listen".

And then liberals spent a decade and a half(right to to him stepping down) trying to come up with algorithms and statistics that defined and fixed gerrymandering. All because of a sentence or two Kennedy added to an old ruling.

Now imagine not only having to design and make that argument to get the 5th vote. You have to make that argument to get a 4th vote and then likely make an entirely different argument that also gets Roberts on board.

This is an important point, that should be beaten about the head of any anti-Hillary/Biden liberal who tries to minimize the damage their side has done by not sucking it up and voting for the lesser of two evils.

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

MBPAOTAKWUI6XBYZBXYVTUKHSQ.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

If she is confirmed, Barrett will join Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. and Justice Brett M. Kavanaugh in participating in litigation involving the only presidential contest to be decided by the high court.

Again. Post-Bork confirmations are pointless. Substantively answering questions went out the window after that, and it has only gotten worse as the partisan divide has grown because they won’t even answer benign questions. So the opposition strategy becomes asking questions that make nominees look bad for not answering them. It’s all a dumb game.

The senators should look at the public record of the person, then vote.

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Again. Post-Bork confirmations are pointless. Substantively answering questions went out the window after that, and it has only gotten worse as the partisan divide has grown because they won’t even answer benign questions. So the opposition strategy becomes asking questions that make nominees look bad for not answering them. It’s all a dumb game.

The senators should look at the public record of the person, then vote.

Senators shouldn't even vote. The White House shouldn't even nominate.

The idea that we let political parties nominate and confirm 'non-political' lifetime appointments is a giant farce.

8 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Senators shouldn't even vote. The White House shouldn't even nominate.

The idea that we let political parties nominate and confirm 'non-political' lifetime appointments is a giant farce.

The entire concept for our constitution is predicted upon a lack of factionalism, a warning the founders gave to future generations, only for them to summarily ignore their own warnings less than a decade later