Senate confirms Justice Handmaid One

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Coney Barrett will be confirmed, but I’ll be interested to see if Mitch pushes the vote past the election to keep attention off Covid and the overall displeasure Americans have with the president’s handling of it.  Or does he just rush it through and hope the conservatives reward him for flipping the Ginsburg seat.

That guy is feeling so good about himself right now.

Live look at McConnell:

spacer.png

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Her "Catholic Consistency" between abortion/death penalty is at least commendable.

If we're talking executions by the state, based on what I read there's about ~1k/yr people killed by cops, but far far fewer by state and local governments through death sentences and actual executions. Will be curious if the pro life stance could potentially be extended to our boys in blue

On 9/25/2020 at 7:37 PM, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Truth be told, even if they felt that way, I really wouldn't give a damn about their opinion.

Much like how a majority of our country lives under the pretense that "all men are created equal" - one of the themes that underlies every portion of the Constitution - and those people mostly fail to actively uphold that virtue if it means taking away a portion of their "freedom", burdening them, or inconveniencing them in any way, our founding fathers were subject to the same selfish biases such that what they really meant was all men, who are like me, are created equal, and let's just ignore women, blacks, and Native Americans.  And while they fought for freedom, what freedom they really wanted was to make more money, take more land, and basically do whatever the hell they wanted (in the name of capitalism!)

17 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

A Protestant is anti-Catholic? My word.

Uniting against us heathen secularists has really dampened the sectarian divisions this country would otherwise have. Evangelicals supporting the Mormon for president, for instance.

Should be interesting when this SCOTUS gives the religious everything they want when it comes to integrating the church into the state(and vice versa) and that awkward first day of mandatory prayer in public schools when everyone looks around and says, "Wait, which one are we praying to?"

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Uniting against us heathen secularists has really dampened the sectarian divisions this country would otherwise have. Evangelicals supporting the Mormon for president, for instance.

Should be interesting when this SCOTUS gives the religious everything they want when it comes to integrating the church into the state(and vice versa) and that awkward first day of mandatory prayer in public schools when everyone looks around and says, "Wait, which one are we praying to?"

American Protestants have definitely eased in their opposition to Catholics in particular. One of the things that I will always find interesting is that Protestants, including evangelicals, were in favor of abortion well into the 80s precisely because abortion opposition was viewed as a Catholic position. The Southern Baptist Convention passes pro-abortion resolutions multiple times in the 70s and 80s. It’s really late 80s and 90s that conservative Protestants join the anti-abortion side with the Catholics.

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Apparently you've missed all the bad faith "Democrats are attacking her religion" shit coming from the GOP.

There is a substantial difference between religious tests by government officials and religious infighting. 

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

American Protestants have definitely eased in their opposition to Catholics in particular. One of the things that I will always find interesting is that Protestants, including evangelicals, were in favor of abortion well into the 80s precisely because abortion opposition was viewed as a Catholic position. The Southern Baptist Convention passes pro-abortion resolutions multiple times in the 70s and 80s. It’s really late 80s and 90s that conservative Protestants join the anti-abortion side with the Catholics.

I was raised Souther Baptist and honestly did not know this. Once I started becoming aware of politics in the mid 90’s my childhood church had already made that switch to opposing abortion.

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I once had someone claim that Catholicism isn’t a form of Christianity.

Many Catholics like my wife get furious when you call Protestants Christians because it sort of implies that Catholics aren't. Meanwhile, many Protestants get offended if you call them Protestants instead of Christians. Kookiness all around.

Just now, Joe said:

Many Catholics like my wife get furious when you call Protestants Christians because it sort of implies that Catholics aren't. Meanwhile, many Protestants get offended if you call them Protestants instead of Christians. Kookiness all around.

Mormons are the only real Christians because they have American Jesus.

Before I left the church one of the pastors gave a sermon where he openly declared Catholicism to be a cult. This was sometimes around 2008-2009. Anti-Catholic sentiment is still a thing amongst Protestants, but many are willing to make certain *ahem* concessions when it comes to politics. I mean, look at their support of Trump!

4 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

Now I'm wet

I pretty much learned from my family growing up(half were Baptists, the others Assemblies of God) that Catholics weren't really true Christians, though they didn't speak a lot on them since my area was overwhelmingly Protestant growing up. I didn't have any experience with Catholicism until a I went to a couple Catholic weddings for friends in my 20s and they remain my only experience, outside of working for a Catholic hospital now, hah. Funny enough, both those marriages ended in divorce under 2 years.

Now Mormons, JWs, Seventh Day Adventists, those were all dangerous cults and they were definitely going to Hell.

8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

(There are no Democrats attacking her faith)

Watch her previous confirmation hearing for examples of it. You just think those things are fine reasons to block confirmation, as do most of the board because the group is generally anti-religious.

13 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Watch her previous confirmation hearing for examples of it. You just think those things are fine reasons to block confirmation, as do most of the board because the group is generally anti-religious.

Questioning someone over a fringe group, which happens to be religious, over their lifelong oaths is fine. Other than that you have 0 idea how I feel about religion and qualification for political office

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Questioning someone over a fringe group, which happens to be religious, over their lifelong oaths is fine. Other than that you have 0 idea how I feel about religion and qualification for political office

But he has the legal community behind him! 

30 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

You just explained your position that religious tests are fine. I think your decade+ history makes your views pretty clear on religion generally, but am I mistaken in believing you have an anti-religious perspective? No need to beat around the bush with the whole “you don’t know what I believe” but, you could just tell me if I’m incorrect.

17 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Like I'm not going to go line by line defending Diane feinstens committee questioning (just lol) but looking out today I don't see anything from normal electeds but her views on roe and the ACA and other policy

So explicit examples of currently serving senators using a religious test during Coney Barrett’s first confirmation is not worth considering in the context of a discussion where you say definitively that no Dems are attacking her faith?

Feinstein was arguing that her commitment to the Catholic faith was cause for concern, and in context the concern is about her ability to discharge the duties of a judge. That is by definition a religious test.

If someone were part of a secretive Freemason or some social / political / religious fraternity-like group it would be worth investigating and figuring out the extent of their stated oaths (not perceived oaths like you see in Catholic and Jewish directed hate) and how that conflicts/limits/explains their commitment to the judicial oath (in this instance) that they will end up taking. This is particularly important when there is not a shared cultural connection like you see with most all lawmakers and the appointees they evaluate.

I am decidedly not anti religious. Religious institutions, like all institutions, are to be held as suspect though.